Please login or register. November 21, 2017, 09:19:28 AM

Author Topic: R.I.P. Paul Buckmaster  (Read 74 times)

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
R.I.P. Paul Buckmaster
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:35:43 PM »
Sadly, Paul Buckmaster, who arranged orchestra/string pieces not only for Rolling Stones etc. but also on "Chinese Democracy", has passed away.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/paul-buckmaster-arranger-for-bowie-and-elton-john-dead-at-71-w511370
In Buckmaster's hands, string sections on rock records weren't schmaltzy. They were trippy and panoramic (the Rolling Stones' "Moonlight Mile"), dark and brooding (Elton John's "Madman Across the Water," the Stones' "Sway"), stately (Harry Nilsson's "Without You," John’s "Levon"), high-stepping (Simon's "You're So Vain"), and lush without being overbaked (Taylor Swift's "Back to December"). The muted French horns and other woodwinds that underscored Guns N' Roses "Madagascar" made that the most listenable song on the messy Chinese Democracy.

First as a touring cellist with the Bee Gees and former Manfred Mann singer Paul Jones, Buckmaster found himself drawn into a very different musical world, and his ghostly work on "Space Oddity," followed a year later by his orchestrations on several tracks on the Elton John album (particularly "Your Song" and "Sixty Years On"), established Buckmaster as the stringman of choice.

Although he was largely associated with the classic rock era, Buckmaster hardly slowed down; in recent years, he worked with not only GNR and Swift but Train, Brandi Carlile, Faith Hill and others and moved into movie scoring with Twelve Monkeys.
:(

TARS

• A Classic Case
Re: R.I.P. Paul Buckmaster
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »
Rest in peace :(

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
Re: R.I.P. Paul Buckmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
Axl Rose reacted to the death on Twitter, “Very sorry to hear of Mr. Paul Buckmaster’s passing. I feel very fortunate to have met him n’ have his involvement in GNR. My deepest condolences to his friends, fans n’ loved ones.”

https://www.alternativenation.net/axl-rose-reacts-tragic-death-guns-n-roses-collaborator/