Please login or register. November 21, 2017, 09:18:15 AM

Author Topic: Nov 7 2017 Milwaukee, Harris Bradley Center  (Read 98 times)

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
Nov 7 2017 Milwaukee, Harris Bradley Center
« on: November 09, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
It’s So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
Double Talkin’ Jive
Better
Estranged
Live And Let Die
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
Attitude
Prostitute
This I Love
Civil War
Yesterdays
Coma
Slash Solo (Godfather)/ Sweet Child O' Mine
Wichita Lineman
Used To Love Her
My Michelle
Wish You Were Here/ November Rain
Black Hole Sun
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Nightrain

Patience
Madagascar
Don't Cry
The Seeker
Paradise City

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/2017/bmo-harris-bradley-center-milwaukee-wi-be34102.html

http://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/11/08/guns-n-roses-makes-up-lost-time-epic-3-hour-plus-milwaukee-spectacle/838576001/

If you're a band looking to make amends for years of devastating dysfunction and disappointment, a killer three-hour-and-twenty-minute concert — with no intermission —is a good way to do it.

That's what Guns N' Roses brought to a largely full BMO Harris Bradley Center Tuesday night, for its first Milwaukee-area show since kicking off its infamous "Use Your Illusion" tour at Alpine Valley Music Theatre in East Troy in 1991.

Tuesday's show wasn't exactly a band-member lovefest; even with the show's massive runtime, only Rose minimally spoke between songs. But it's clear the musicians had great respect for each other — and more importantly, for the fan.

The band's key threesome gave their all, and then some. From sprawling song lengths to constantly flamboyant vocals, Rose rarely knows when to rein it in, and the show's demand at times got the better of him, his voice thin and cracking during parts of "Prostitute," "This I Love" and a cover of Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman."

But Rose's aggressive, unflinching ambition was magnetic, and his vocal prowess frequently matched up Tuesday.

http://milwaukeerecord.com/music/axl-slash-guns-n-roses-sleaze-rock-bradley-center/
Call it an inevitable cash-grab if you will; most fans have been clamoring for this and only this ever since the ’90s. The Bradley Center wasn’t exactly stuffed to the rafters for this Tuesday-nighter, though, suggesting that perhaps the buzz is running out despite pervasive rave reviews. Could Axl still hit the high notes? It’s a more subjective question than it seems; quite frequently he sounded like he was holding back in order to preserve what’s left of his vocal cords for key moments. He would often disappear from the stage during instrumental jam sections, presumably to guzzle tea or perform some other voice-preservation ritual. Yes, he could usually reach the necessary heights, but most of the richness and clarity of his heyday is long gone from his singing, similarly to AC/DC’s Brian Johnson. Both men are essentially caricatures of their former glory, but you have to respect them for risking a complete loss of voice in service of their beloved tunes.

Did it even matter what condition Rose’s voice was in? Not really. He remains an energetic frontman, if understandably less confrontational at age 55 than he was in his 20s and 30s. There was very little banter other than the occasional platitude and brief shout-out to his bandmates. The show was destined to boil down to whether or not Slash still had the chops that made him famous. Undeniably, he did. Time after time he wowed us with his inimitable mixture of technical precision and intuitive melodic sensibility. Witnessing this man wail away into oblivion is one of rock’s purest pleasures, especially in the context of the classics he helped create in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:48:59 AM by Backfromthedead »

TARS

• A Classic Case
Re: Nov 6 2017 Milwaukee, Harris Bradley Center
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:01:55 PM »
Quite negative reviews, and I do not see why they are doing this.

vezara

• Fit Ta Burn
Re: Nov 6 2017 Milwaukee, Harris Bradley Center
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:45:25 AM »
Reading the reviews of gnr concerts in the past 17 years, I realized that most of the time , the authors of the reviews are not fans of gnr, but just some type of journalists who probably like rock music in general. They tend to forget that 25 years have past since Axl's voice was in top notch as it was in the 90's. They keep on forgetting or denying the fact that Axl is 55 year old, that he has his own odd style, and that he does not look like he used to 25 years ago...
Having said all that, they are actually not saying anything bad... Its all true what they write...its obvious that Axl has changed, that he cannot or will not always sing as he used to, bla bla bla... but we know all that! Get over it, Mr boring "journalist", who keeps on dwelling in the past!
I, as a fan of GnR, think that its amazing that gnr still tour and put on 3.5 hour shows. And I don't mind if Axl's voice breaks down every once in a while (Its very hard to notice on a concert when you've got three guitars, a drum set, a piano, special effects playing and a couple of thousand people singing in the same time). I am sure that every gnr fan (except Andy Rose) will go back home after the concert feeling she/he has just been to a best show on earth.  :rockon:
An now that you've been broken down
 Got your head out of the clouds
 You're back down on the ground
 And you don't talk so loud
 An you don't walk so proud
 Any more, and what for...

Backfromthedead

Re: Nov 7 2017 Milwaukee, Harris Bradley Center
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »
Reading the reviews of gnr concerts in the past 17 years, I realized that most of the time , the authors of the reviews are not fans of gnr, but just some type of journalists who probably like rock music in general.

Yes, I agree. (We do get enough fans' reviews in forums etc. though.)

They tend to forget that 25 years have past since Axl's voice was in top notch as it was in the 90's. They keep on forgetting or denying the fact that Axl is 55 year old

No, they don't, as is written in the review posted above:
He remains an energetic frontman, if understandably less confrontational at age 55 than he was in his 20s and 30s.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:48:46 AM by Backfromthedead »

Backfromthedead

Re: Nov 7 2017 Milwaukee, Harris Bradley Center
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
Sorry folks, date was wrong!