Please login or register. November 25, 2017, 06:47:10 AM

Poll

What do you think - are GN'R playing too many covers at current shows?

Yes, more UYI/AfD songs please
3 (75%)
No, more covers please
0 (0%)
No, but more TSI!? covers please
0 (0%)
I don't care
1 (25%)
Yes, more CD songs please
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: October 03, 2017, 11:28:55 AM

Author Topic: Too many covers?  (Read 929 times)

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
Too many covers?
« on: September 03, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
A little poll about the current covers in GN'R shows. Just curious what other fans think.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/17/September/01Guns_N_Roses_Pull_Out_Unexpected_Songs_At_Recent_Show.shtml

Artemisia

• Very Old At Heart
Re: Too many covers?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »
Playing I feel good was a really bad idea. Just to put it nicely

Trixi

• Very Old At Heart
  • shit ghost
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
I won't vote since there's not an option I really like. :giggle:

I do think they're playing too many covers. They should ditch them altogether - with 2 exceptions that have become live staples, but they don't really have to play those every night - and just switch things up a little, add more variety without adding more covers. Maybe throw in a completely new song. (Wishful thinking, I know. :lol: )
The official spliff of newgnr.com

Trixi is dead! Long live Trixi!

Backfromthedead

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 02:21:48 PM »
I won't vote since there's not an option I really like.

Hm, I put in so many options. However at this point of the tour it's obvious that they won't play any new songs, so I left that out.

with 2 exceptions that have become live staples, but they don't really have to play those every night

Which was my thinking and reason for this litte poll...

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:39:59 AM »
My vote goes to more UYI/AFD songs, but any Gn'R songs would be better than covers, really.

Trixi

• Very Old At Heart
  • shit ghost
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
Hm, I put in so many options. However at this point of the tour it's obvious that they won't play any new songs, so I left that out.

Well, I don't want more UYI/AfD songs or more CD songs, I want more of everything. :tongue: Except covers, no more covers. :paranoid:

There's nothing obvious with this band. A few years ago it was obvious that these guys will never reunite and look where we are now. :lol:
The official spliff of newgnr.com

Trixi is dead! Long live Trixi!

Backfromthedead

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:40:57 AM »
There's nothing obvious with this band. A few years ago it was obvious that these guys will never reunite and look where we are now.

Well that is very true. I would hope for new songs and I'd love to be surprised by them playing one... but I don't really believe it'll happen during this tour (maybe next year?).

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
Have they even written any new songs? I am not too sure.

Backfromthedead

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
Have they even written any new songs?

Nobody knows...
Fortus talked about "trying" things out in soundchecks. Rumour said they (re-)recorded "Atlas Shrugged".  :coffee

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
Nobody knows...
Fortus talked about "trying" things out in soundchecks. Rumour said they (re-)recorded "Atlas Shrugged".  :coffee

It just feels like those statements that other members of new Gn'R used to make in the past about recording new material, etc. My impression is that everyone other than Axl is sort of doing their own thing and has different aspirations than Axl. Unless Axl is involved, I am not buying it yet that there is something in the works...

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
I have drastically fallen out of "love" with Guns N' Roses.  I took all of their stuff from my phone and ipod.  I never ever thought they would become irrelevant and boring to me but they have.  :(

I think they are playing too many covers, and I have no idea how well they play them because I haven't listened. 

The last straw for me was how much weaker and phoned in Axl sounded in comparison to his stint with AC/DC. 
W.

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
The last straw for me was how much weaker and phoned in Axl sounded in comparison to his stint with AC/DC.

That is actually a very good point.

In this connection, did you watch Brian Johnson perform 'Back in Black' with Muse? His voice is just not the same anymore. :(

Artemisia

• Very Old At Heart
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 03:12:36 PM »

In this connection, did you watch Brian Johnson perform 'Back in Black' with Muse? His voice is just not the same anymore. :(

it didnt sound that bad to me.. maybe he felt awkward singing on a slightly different tune

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
That is actually a very good point.

I did. 

For the past few years in AC/DC they flat tuned a lot of the songs to allow for changes in Brian's voice.  I am presuming that Muse played it in standard thus creating the strain that had previously been eliminated.  I thought with that considered and his advancing years/hearing problems, he didn't do too bad.  Also, even though Axl sounded really good in AC/DC when I saw em and on videos, i'd be strongly opposed to him joining the band for a studio album... Especially with the retirement of Cliff and lack of Mal/Phil.  It just isn't right...  It's akin to what Axl did with New Gnr but even worse in my humble opinion.
W.

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 08:26:22 PM »
it didnt sound that bad to me.. maybe he felt awkward singing on a slightly different tune

For the past few years in AC/DC they flat tuned a lot of the songs to allow for changes in Brian's voice.  I am presuming that Muse played it in standard thus creating the strain that had previously been eliminated.  I thought with that considered and his advancing years/hearing problems, he didn't do too bad.  Also, even though Axl sounded really good in AC/DC when I saw em and on videos, i'd be strongly opposed to him joining the band for a studio album... Especially with the retirement of Cliff and lack of Mal/Phil.  It just isn't right...  It's akin to what Axl did with New Gnr but even worse in my humble opinion.

Yeah you guys are right, maybe I'm being a tad too harsh. Muse definitely seemed to enjoy playing with Brian, they loved it. New AC/DC album? Will probably never happen, though I've read something somewhere... It's just not the same band anymore. Would be much better to form some kind of supergroup and record under that name instead.