Please login or register. June 28, 2017, 03:14:10 PM

Author Topic: Tommy Stinson  (Read 1934 times)

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
Tommy Stinson
« on: July 20, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/tommystinson/

Hello me peeps!!!

Alas, I have come up with something fun to do this summer while waiting for my next record to come out in the new year.

Come say hello to COWBOYS IN THE CAMPFIRE, aka Chip “Sippy Fly” Roberts and I! You may remember Chip from playing most of the lead guitar on such albums as ‘One Man Mutiny’. Next week we will be embarking on our first outing: The SOUTHERN DANDIES TOUR 2016!

We’re gonna be getting into all kinds of musical shenanigans in all sorts of unexpected places with as few instruments as necessary. We’ll be playing new songs, old songs, maybe even some make-em’-up-on-the-spot songs. We’ll have friends join us on stage along the way, both old and new.

You are invited to OUR summer vacation! See ya there! No bermuda shorts please, we’ll save that for Jimmy Buffet vacation tour. Searsucker anything is a plus!

Also, my full-on rock band featuring Steve Selvidge, Joe Sirois, Justin Perkins and Tony Kieraldo will be playing XPoNential Music Festival in Camden, NJ w/ Ryan Adams & Kurt Vile THIS FRIDAY, July 22 and The Bowery Electric in NYC this coming Sunday, July 24 w/ Frankie Lee.

Peace, Love and Happiness!
 TES

JULY
 22 - Camden, NJ - XPoNential Music Festival @ BB&T Pavilion (Full Rock Band; w/ Ryan Adams & Kurt Vile)

24 - New York, NY - The Bowery Electric (Full Rock Band; w/ Frankie Lee)

27 - Rehoboth Beach, DE - Dogfish Head Brewpub (Free Show!)
facebook.com/events/263875777324701

28 - Washington, DC - Black Cat DC Backstage (w/ Foster Carrots)
facebook.com/events/285182225169928

29 - Richmond, VA - Gallery5 (w/ Long Arms)
facebook.com/events/1719359478304876

30 - Chapel Hill, NC - The Cave (SOLD OUT)
facebook.com/events/2072849996273961

31 - Athens, GA - Normaltown Hall (w/ Hank Sullivant & Kelley swindall)
facebook.com/events/155477221540883/

AUGUST

01 - Nashville, TN - Fond Object Records
facebook.com/events/994404103962070

02 - Memphis, TN - Ardent Studios (Special Studio A Performance)
facebook.com/events/520948318097647

03 - St. Louis, MO - House Show
facebook.com/events/817263515040487

05 - Madison, WI - Kiki's House of Righteous Music (SOLD OUT)
facebook.com/events/1701774000077039

06 - Appleton, WI - The Refuge (Mile of Music Festival Afterparty)
facebook.com/events/1099386513464771

07 - Milwaukee, WI - Anodyne Coffee
facebook.com/events/858851710888037

09 - Chicago, IL - GMan Tavern
facebook.com/events/597841710393229

11 - Omaha, NE - House of Hi-Fi
facebook.com/events/1222629101089893

17 - Ferndale, MI - Zeke's Rock And Roll BBQ (w/ John Speck)
facebook.com/events/1735201116768091

18 - Kalamazoo, MI - Bell's Eccentric Cafe
facebook.com/events/1650143988638520

19 - Columbus, OH - Rumba Cafe (w/ Two Cow Garage & The Right Here)
facebook.com/events/898401496932764

20 - Glenshaw, PA - Liveburghstudio
facebook.com/events/1782677535310657
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:22:22 AM by Backfromthedead »

Backfromthedead

Re: Tommy Stinson "Cowboys in the campfire" tour 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:09:28 PM »
http://rockonphilly.com/2016/07/an-interview-with-legendary-bassistsongwriter-tommy-stinson/

TS: I have two things going on right now, I made a band record and it’s turning into exactly what I want it to and I’ll save the punch line for another time, but it’s been very satisfying. I love the energy you get from a band, that’s the most satisfying thing for me ever, and that should come out in the new year. I’m also very excited to be going out on tour with my buddy Chip Roberts from Philly who’s worked on a bunch of my stuff. We’re going out as Cowboys In the Campfire and we’re going to be out there writing stuff, playing shit on the spot and having a good time. Two of us in a van. It’s my paid vacation if you will, and I’m stoked about it. It’ll be a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:16:04 PM by Backfromthedead »

Backfromthedead

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 07:43:43 AM »
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7476230/tommy-stinson-bash-pop-guns-n-roses-replacements
Stinson has regrouped Bash & Pop, the band he formed in 1992 after the Replacements broke up and led until 1994, releasing one album. A new Bash & Pop record is in the can and due in January, with plans to play some shows later this year as well as next. "It's a band kind of record; that's why I decided to call it Bash & Pop," Stinson, who recorded the yet-untitled 12-song set at his home studio in Hudson, N.Y., tells Billboard. "We recorded everything as live as I could. I was missing that vibe with my last couple of solo records, so I really tried to hunker down and capture a moment, and I realized I was doing it with a really good band. So rather than call it Tommy Stinson, why not call it Bash & Pop?"

Stinson is previewing some of the songs this summer on the road with Cowboys in the Campfire, a duo he formed with his uncle-by-marriage Chip "Sippy Fly" Roberts. The two have talked about touring together for awhile, and the anything-goes shows give Stinson plenty of options each time the group plays -- including brand-new songs made up on the spot. 
"I can play everything from my catalog," says Stinson, whose Southern Dandies Tour has shows booked until Aug. 21. "It's low overhead, so it's been quite profitable as well as fun. We're working hard, and it's worked out pretty good. I haven't toured in a year due to some personal issues back home, and I need to work. It's my job. It's what I do. It feels good to get back to work."

Backfromthedead

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
On Nov 15th & 16th, the Heartbreakers' album "L.A.M.F." will be performed by
Walter Lure (Heartbreakers)
Wayne Kramer (MC 5)
Clem Burke (Blondie)
Tommy Stinson (Replacements)

http://www.theboweryelectric.com/main-room-show-list/

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:21:45 AM by Backfromthedead »

Backfromthedead

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »
More tour dates!

Backfromthedead

Tommy Stinson reforms Bash & Pop
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 09:21:16 AM »
Tommy reformed his old outfit "Bash & Pop" for the new album (due out in 2017)!
You can pre-order via a Pledge Music campaign.

http://fatpossum.com/tommy-stinson-reforms-seminal-post-replacements-band-bash-pop-signs-to-fat-possum/

When The Replacements ended their 33-show reunion tour in June 2015, founding bassist Tommy Stinson walked away with his head held high. Armed with a pocketful of new songs and a clean slate, he holed up at his home studio in Hudson, NY and played solo tour dates with a group of A+ players/friends backing him, including Luther Dickinson, Frank Ferrer, Cat Popper, Steve Selvidge, and Joe “The Kid” Sirois. They had more fun than humans should be allowed to have, and over the next year and a half they pieced together a brand new record. A BAND record.

Here’s a list of my friends that I have to thank for helping to shape the new album:

Chip Roberts (one-400’s)
Steve “Sleeve” Selvidge (The Hold Steady, Big Ass Truck)
Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi All-Stars, The Word)
Frank Ferrer (Guns N’ Roses)
Joe “The Kid” Sirois (The Mighty Mighty BossToneS, Roll The Tanks)
Cat Popper (Jack White, Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Jesse Malin, Winning Instagram)
Justin “Carl” Perkins (Screeching Weasel, Obsoletes)
Tony “Tone Tone” Kieraldo (Played at The White House twice!)
Ryder Cooley

Backfromthedead

Re: Tommy Stinson
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-tommy-stinsons-clever-lyric-video-for-bash-pop-track-w448171
Along with the "On the Rocks" video, Stinson also unveiled the Anything Could Happen track list. The album, the long-awaited follow-up to 1993's Friday Night Is Killing Me (which is also getting a vinyl reissue), is due out January 20th.

Backfromthedead

Tommy Stinson's Bash & Pop
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 11:16:53 AM »
http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=828290

Stinson is joined on tour by Steve “The Sleeve” Selvidge on guitar, Joe “The Kid” Sirois on drums, and Justin “Carl” Perkins on bass.

The tour begins in Stinson’s hometown of Minneapolis, followed by a post-show party with the band. With more dates to come, here’s the schedule so far:

Jan. 12 – Minneapolis, Minn., 7th Street Entry
 Jan. 13 – Milwaukee, Wis., Cactus Club
 Jan. 14 – Chicago, Ill., Cobra Lounge
 Jan. 15 – Columbus, Ohio, Big Room Bar
 Jan. 16 – Cleveland, Ohio, Now That's Class
 Jan. 17 – Philadelphia, Pa., Johnny Brenda's
 Jan. 18 – New York, N.Y., The Mercury Lounge
 Jan. 20 – Asbury Park, N.J., The Saint
 Jan. 21 – Allston, Mass., Great Scott

Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Tommy Stinson / Bash & Pop
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-tommy-stinsons-cathartic-bash-pop-song-never-wanted-to-know-w458955
Tommy Stinson pairs tragic headlines with anthemic riffs on the second sample from Anything Could Happen, his upcoming reunion LP with post-Replacements band Bash & Pop. On "Never Wanted to Know," he snarls: "Shot down, bleeding from his back in the rain/ Some kid, they didn't even know he was eight," between paint-peeling guitar solos. "You're wishing that it all would end/ They repeat it on CNN."

Backfromthedead

Tommy Stinson / Bash & Pop
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »
http://www.startribune.com/tommy-stinson-debuts-new-bash-pop-in-rowdy-return-to-7th-street-entry/410640205/
Thursday’s packed Entry gig was the first official live appearance for Stinson’s revived/recreated ensemble, whose new album, “Anything Could Happen,” lands next Friday via Fat Possum Records. The choice of venue obviously added more of a historic tinge to the proceedings, since Stinson started playing the small room at age 14 not long after the Entry first opened in 1980. Tickets for the show were given out to fans who supported a Pledge Music campaign for the record, which Stinson recorded over different sessions with an all-star casted that included his Memphis bud Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi All-Stars, Black Crowes) and his former Guns N’ Roses bandmate Frank Ferrer.

The lineup that took the stage Thursday as Bash & Pop had its own impressive resume, too, with the Hold Steady’s Steve Selvidge on guitar, drummer Joe Sirois of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and bassist Justin Perkins – none of whom were in the original, short-lived Bash & Pop. Neither the new nor the old Bash & Pop were reinventing the wheel, though. Thursday’s lineup provided the same sort of spirited, Faces-meets-Johnny-Thunders, barroom-rock backdrop for Stinson’s loose, snarling but melodic and sometimes melancholy tunes.

Fans who listened to the lyrics – a pre-show listening party in the main room helped clue them in – would have easily noticed that the songs from the new record are by far some of the most downcast and personal of Stinson’s songwriting career, many heavily tinted by divorce. The acoustic track “Anytime Soon,” delivered mid-show, included a refrain about “dangling from the rafters.” The single “On the Rocks,” played third in the set, is a blistering breakup song that sounded especially barbed live.

Backfromthedead

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 09:54:11 AM »
http://observer.com/2017/01/tommy-stinson-guns-n-roses-bash-pop-replacements-album/

Relentlessly catchy with nonstop hooks, raspy-voiced tunesmith Stinson, with help from The Hold Steady guitarist Steve “The Sleeve” Selvidge, Mighty Mighty BossTones drummer Joe “The Kid” Sirois and Screeching Weasel bassist Justin “Carl” Perkins, has crafted a beer-soaked feast of riff-heavy, power bar-rawk that should delight any ‘Mats fan who missed out on the reunion.

Was being in Guns N’ Roses the hardest gig you’ve had? Was the Replacements more difficult?

You know, all of them had their own bits. I wouldn’t say any were any harder than the other. In terms of the Guns N’ Roses record, only because it took so long to get done, at the end of the day it seemed like still Axl wasn’t happy with it and so it kinda got yanked from his hands a little bit prematurely. That’s kind of a disappointment to me more than anything. All things considered, I think we all did our best job, put our best foot forward, and there’s that record, you know?

You obviously played on Chinese Democracy and toured behind it. What’s your take on that record?

I think there’s some good stuff, I think there’s some not-so-good stuff and I think that probably could be said for all those Guns records. There’s some stuff that wasn’t my favorite but that’s just me. But that kinda goes with everyone’s fuckin’ records. I can’t even think of how many bands I like their entire fucking record. They are out there of course but I can’t think of one right now [laughing].

How did you score the Guns gig, by the way?

I was rehearsing in the same rehearsal hall as Josh Freese was and he had already joined the band and was playing with them. He just kinda joked at me, saying, “Hey, we need a bass player, you should come. Try it out, man! We’re just having fun with it.”

I kinda went out there on a lark. I learned a couple songs, just went out there for fun and to see what it was about and not a whole lot happened after that so I had the gig. I was like, “Sure. Why not?”

I mean the idea after I talked to Axl about it, you know, what he was trying to get done after everyone quit the band, I thought was pretty fuckin’ ballsy and cool. So I was kind of in for that reason.

Bash & Pop will be on telly:
We'll be playing a song on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert this Thursday at 11:35p EST/10:35p CST on your local CBS affiliate!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:13:19 AM by Backfromthedead »

Backfromthedead

Re: Tommy Stinson / Bash & Pop
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »
Here it is:
https://youtu.be/Sr6Q_GKuN7E
The group performs a song off their album 'Anything Can Happen.' Which is exactly what happens - watch this one to the end!
:lol:

Backfromthedead

Re: Tommy Stinson / Bash & Pop
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/music/after-surviving-the-replacements-and-gnr-tommy-stinson-revives-bash-pop-234957501.html
Having lived through the Replacements and Guns N’ Roses raises the question: Who’s easier to work with, Paul Westerberg or Axl Rose?

“They’re more similar than dissimilar,” Stinson muses. “They’re both very much focused on how they see it in their head and how it needs to be, so you have to roll with that a bit. They’re both strangely perfectionists, and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s just part of genius involved with both of them. Other than the music being completely different in a lot of ways, it’s not derived from all that different of a place. Axl and [original GNR bassist] Duff [McKagan] come from the punk-rock school of things from a big degree, and the same records were probably on the turntables owned by Paul and Axl at one point or another, whether it was the Heartbreakers or the Sex Pistols.”

Stinson, who turned 50 this past October, says he was inspired to reform Bash & Pop after his recent three-year reunion with Westerberg in the Replacements. While the ’Mats attempted to record new material during that time, it never panned out. “We kind of half-ass tried to record three different times,” Stinson recalls. “I say ‘half-ass’ because we never hooked up the right scenario. It was like it was on the cheap and comfortable for whomever and then it ended up being the wrong studio, the wrong scenario altogether, so it didn’t work out. We went for comfort and expense; we ended up comfortable with nothing.”

“It was a lot of fun at the beginning,” Stinson says. “It was like, ‘Let’s go out and have some fun and make everyone happy.’ But going back and sweating to the oldies, we got to the point where we were a little staid. We were only pulling certain songs; we didn’t have anything new to play, and we didn’t feel like diving into the deep cuts — which I think ultimately would have been more fun for us, and we probably wouldn’t have ended in such a weird way. We probably overstayed our welcome by a half-year or so.”

Speaking of reunions, Guns N’ Roses had an even more hyped comeback in 2016. Stinson was also a member of that band as they famously struggled in the studio for years, working on what ended up as the infamous 2008 album Chinese Democracy. “There were a lot of variables with the record company,” Stinson says. “[Interscope chief] Jimmy Iovine really mucked up the works quite a bit in some ways. There’s a certain thing you have to have when you work with Axl, and I don’t think we ever had the right guy. [Producer] Sean Beavan was the closest, and most of the songs on that record pretty much started and ended up with what he did.”

“It’s more of a rock ’n’ roll record, and I meant it to be,” Stinson says of Anything Can Happen. “I kind of wanted more of a high-energy feel behind it, and that’s the way it panned out. It’s kind of just a rock ‘n’ roll, albeit rootsy to some degree as well. I dare say ‘roots rock,’ because that conjures up some negative connotations as far as I’m concerned, but there’s some stuff on there that goes back to square one for me.”

‘Mats fans will undoubtedly hear echoes of Westerberg in the grooves, as well as touches of the Faces, the Rolling Stones, and, as Stinson notes, some GNR influences as well. “I think it’s fair to say at this point that anything I’ve done in the past is f***ing represented in some way or another,” Stinson says. “I think I’d be lying to you if I told you there wasn’t Replacements or Guns N’ Roses or Elvis Presley, whether I played in the band or stuff I listened to. That’s just kind of the way it works.

Backfromthedead

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 07:11:17 PM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/how-tommy-stinson-moved-on-from-replacements-and-gnr-w458836

After the Replacements reunion fell apart, he reignited a band he'd formed in the early Nineties, Bash and Pop, and put out a new collection of 12 new honky-tonkin' rock & roll tunes, Anything Could Happen. Some of the songs, like the blithe, Stones-y rocker "Unfuck You," brim with his newfound anything-goes attitude, while others, like his somberly suicidal "Anytime Soon," began as possible new Replacements tracks, but after Stinson's sessions with frontman Paul Westerberg fell flat he pocketed them for his own use. He considered making a solo album, but opted instead to put together a band to tap into the songs' freewheeling spirit, and to add to the looseness, he recorded with various groups of friends (using the Bash and Pop moniker to show that it's a band album) in his house.

Incidentally, Stinson says there's a wealth of recordings Guns N' Roses made during his tenure that have yet to be released. "There's some stuff with lyrics, some without," he says. "We did a lot of stuff that was supposed to be on Chinese Democracy – the record was meant to be more than one disc, but after spending so much time on it we just had to put an end to it. There's also stuff that was held over from [the original lineup] before they all disbanded, so there's some stuff that should someday see the light of day."