Please login or register. May 30, 2017, 02:03:49 PM

Author Topic: Tommy Stinson  (Read 1778 times)

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
Re: Tommy Stinson
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »
https://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/2017/mar/09/bash-and-pop-tommy-stinson/
Was there anything in particular that you wanted to do differently this time?
I wanted to make a live band record. I have a home studio up here in Hudson, New York, so I’m close enough to the city where I can get guys who are around that I’ve played with before. If they’re in the city doing a gig, I’d get them up here easily. Once I did that a couple of weekends and got really satisfying results out of it, I followed that mode over the course of the summer and the fall of the last year. I had my friends come on out when I’d get them close by.

Everything is as live as can be without losing tonality. Most everything you hear is within two takes of the first time we played the song. That was what I was aiming for. It wasn’t so much harking back to The Replacements days, but I was intent on making records like the way we used to: Just show up to the studio; don’t really know a song; someone’s got some songs in their head; okay, let’s hack ‘em out. Get that spark. It either works or it don’t. You can capture some magic that way that you can only get if you’ve got four guys sweating in a room together. Or gals. We had [bassist] Cat Popper up here, sweating it out, too.

How did your club tour go earlier this year? I told your publicist that only someone born in the Midwest would go on a club tour of the Great Lakes in mid-January.
Well, you know, what else am I supposed to do, wait till the f*cking snow thaws? I’ll have written another record, started another thing and gotten completely lost [by then].

In my case, when I roll a record out, I’ve got to follow through, because I get bored quick. I start fragmenting. It’s the first time in 20 years I’ve actually been able to take the time and put it aside to go and pursue one of my own records. I was in Guns N’ Roses forever. Not that that was the busiest gig on the planet, but it did have restrictions to how much I could actually go and tour behind any one given record I’d make. So this is the first time I’m really putting it to it, seeing what I can do.

Backfromthedead

Re: Tommy Stinson / Bash & Pop
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/tommy-stinsons-bash-pop-touring-in-may-bv-presents/

Bash & Pop — 2017 Tour Dates
Tue May 16 Boston, MA Middle East Downstairs
Thu May 18 Brooklyn, NY The Bell House
Fri May 19 Washington, DC Songbyrd
Sat May 20 Richmond VA The Camel (late)
Mon May 22 Orlando, FL The Social
Tue May 23 Atlanta, GA The Earl
Wed May 24 Nashville, TN The High Watt
Fri May 26 Dallas, TX Club Dada
Sat May 27 Austin, TX Barracuda

While The Replacements reunion may be done, bassist Tommy Stinson reignited another of his bands, Bash & Pop. They released their first album in 25 years, Anything Could Happen, earlier this year via Fat Possum. BrooklynVegan is now excited to announce that we’ll be presenting Bash & Pop’s next tour in support of the album, which goes down this May.

Read More: Tommy Stinson’s Bash & Pop touring in May (BV Presents) | http://www.brooklynvegan.com/tommy-stinsons-bash-pop-touring-in-may-bv-presents/?trackback=tsmclip
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:39:46 PM by Backfromthedead »

Backfromthedead

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
UK tour dates:

Backfromthedead

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 10:05:08 AM »
Wish I could catch one of the UK shows, but seems unlikely at the moment...

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2017/02/21/essential-new-music-bash-pops-anything-could-happen/
Yet here we are 24 years later, and Stinson has resurrected Bash & Pop—the name, anyway, as he’s the only returnee—for a follow-up. Damn if it wasn’t worth the wait. Anything Could Happen is full of similarly winning Friday Night-ish bar-band power pop (“On The Rocks,” “Never Wanted To Know,” the title track) and the sardonic Minnesotan wit Stinson shares with his on-again/off-again cohort Paul Westerberg. There’s a heavy country/Americana influence throughout Anything Could Happen, perhaps greater than expected, though Friday Night did have a bit of that as well; enjoyable twangy shuffles like the opening “Not This Time,” “Breathing Room” and “Anytime Soon” dominate. It’s a direction that suits Stinson rather well. Musically, he’s lived in Westerberg’s considerable shadow since the day the latter forced his way into the seminal combo fronted by Stinson’s brother Bob. With Anything Could Happen, Stinson not only shows that Bash & Pop 2.0 has potential staying power but also that he’s worthy of comparisons to his mentor.

Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »
Interview:
http://artsfuse.org/154246/music-interview-tommy-stinson-the-living-embodiment-of-rock-and-roll/
AF: How would you have reacted if, when you first heard their 1987 debut Appetite for Destruction, someone told you that you would end up spending 18 years as a member of Guns N’ Roses?

Stinson: I probably woulda said, “You’re out of your fucking tree!” But lucky me, I got to do that for all those years. That was a fun gig.

AF: Would your reaction have been because Guns N’ Roses would not seem like the kind of band you would want to join or because you wouldn’t understand why they would hire you specifically?

Stinson: Either direction. I woulda thought, “What the hell would I do that for and why the fuck would they want me?”

Backfromthedead

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/05/19/tommy-stinson-finds-satisfaction-reviving-bash-pop/320366001/
Mississippi label Fat Possum released “Anything Can Happen” this winter, and the record earned Stinson the best reviews of his career, with critics lauding its soulful Faces-styled songs and loose-limbed feel. Touring with Bash & Pop v. 2.0 has further solidified Stinson’s faith in the project.  “We’ve been doing it for over a year on the road and it’s had a chance to blossom — I can see the flowers blooming every time we play,” he says. 

Riding the current momentum, Stinson is eager to make another Bash & Pop record. During a recent stop in Austin to perform at the South by Southwest music conference the band spent a day at a local studio cutting tracks. “And we might actually get some studio time in Nashville to throw down some new Bash & Pop songs,” says Stinson, who’s also planning to release a side project called Cowboys In the Campfire, an acoustic duo with veteran Philadelphia guitarist Chip Roberts.

“Historically, I’m not that prolific of a writer — mostly because I was so busy on the road with Guns N’ Roses or whoever. But I’m writing a lot lately. Now I’ve created a path that I can do stuff with Cowboys In the Campfire and Bash & Pop. It’s good to have two things going, allows me to write without pigeonholing myself,” says Stinson. “I’ve got this particular time in my life where I can do pretty much what I want — and it feels good.”
:thumbsup: