Please login or register. September 24, 2017, 09:27:57 AM

Author Topic: The Full story behind our 'Chinese Democracy' Leak  (Read 5400 times)

Catcher88

• Bad Obsession
  • All men betray. All lose heart!
The Full story behind our 'Chinese Democracy' Leak
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Interesting story of Skwerl, the guy (or one of the first at least) who leaked the entire album a couple of months before the release. He tells about how he put it online and what the consequences were. I guess the majority of what he says could be true

http://www.antiquiet.com/truth/2014/01/full-story-behind-chinese-democracy/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:12:02 PM by Catcher88 »

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
Re: The Full story behind our 'Chinese Democracy' Leak
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »
Not very interesting if you ask me. Someone likes to hear himself talk, more likely.  :tongue:
3 pages of drivel like this:
I sat at my desk in an office building in a part of LA called Ladera Heights, which is sort of like a ghetto Culver City. This means nothing to anyone living outside of Los Angeles. Whatever, just picture downtown Atlanta, with better Mexican food. ...
The funny conversation I had with my girlfriend ... etc etc.
Mr. Saint Laurent is an interesting player.

I like to think that they're relatives...  :lol:

In parts it may be interesting, but it seems all a bit out-dated now.  :rolleyes:

Catcher88

• Bad Obsession
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:51 AM »
^Yeah, I guess so. Maybe with al the leaks recently he thought his story had regained some relevance or so... But the way he puts it show some arrogance indeed; that's also one of the reasons why I guessed the majority was true, but maybe not everything.

Backfromthedead

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
Maybe with al the leaks recently he thought his story had regained some relevance or so...

Probably not. I guess he had to keep quiet until any legal action was off the table. Because you better keep quiet in public while any kind of legal case is still going...
I understand he wanted to get this off his chest, but he could've kept it short (1 page) by sparing us said drivel.  :rolleyes:

MrB

• Fit Ta Burn
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
dont see what the problem was, the album sucked balls and they sold it for a dollar. Axl missed his owned deadlines 3-4 times, so FBI should have said "axl, we understand you're upset your precious top secret super duper amazing album that no one can hear but you and your super friends leaked, but it sucks, fuck off."

Axl-is-my-idol

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • Official GNR pothead since '07
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:03:12 AM »
Interesting story of Skwerl, the guy (or one of the first at least) who leaked the entire album a couple of months before the release. He tells about how he put it online and what the consequences were. I guess the majority of what he says could be true

http://www.antiquiet.com/truth/2014/01/full-story-behind-chinese-democracy/

Okay, this bothers me.  He DID NOT leak the entire album, just alternate version of songs already leaked.  Anybody who was following Chinese Democracy news back then knows that. 

Catcher88

• Bad Obsession
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
^I wasn't following the current GNR in those days, so I just got it from the article... I know he put it in more exciting narrative patterns to spice things up a bit.. I don't know who's the one that eventually leaked the entire album shortly before the release, but I thought it could be him. I could indeed be mistaking though.

Axl-is-my-idol

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • Official GNR pothead since '07
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:57 PM »
^I wasn't following the current GNR in those days, so I just got it from the article... I know he put it in more exciting narrative patterns to spice things up a bit.. I don't know who's the one that eventually leaked the entire album shortly before the release, but I thought it could be him. I could indeed be mistaking though.

Oh, yes.  I knew you were just copying/paraphrasing the article.  I was really talking to the article more than I was talking to you.

To answer your uncertainty, though...

The album wasn't exactly "leaked" in full prior to release.  What happened was that, shortly before Chinese Democracy was released, Guns N' Roses had the entire album available for streaming OFFICIALLY on their Myspace page.

I remember when that first happened.  What I did was that I listened to the final mixes of the songs that had been bootlegged already in alternate mixes and I saved the songs that hadn't been bootlegged for the day of release.

By the way, the songs that were not available through internet leaks prior to Chinese Democracy being available for streaming on Myspace were Scraped, Sorry, and This I Love.  That's right.  Eleven of the fourteen songs on the album were leaked prior to official release.  :lol:

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
And they pretty much all sounded better as demos  :giggle:
Humanary Stew

MrB

• Fit Ta Burn
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
And they pretty much all sounded better as demos  :giggle:

especially CD. however, without these leaks I'm sure we would never have seen Chinese Democracy release.

Backfromthedead

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »
especially CD. however, without these leaks I'm sure we would never have seen Chinese Democracy release.

Based on which kind of facts or hints or anything relevant?  :?:

As far as I know, it was Azoff who re-negotiated with the record company and got the Best Buy deal. Nothing to do with leaks imho.