Please login or register. November 21, 2017, 09:20:33 AM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots fire Scott Weiland in one-sentence statement  (Read 1059 times)

*Estranged*

• All Geared Up
  • Official First Member of the Prostitutes Union.
Stone Temple Pilots fire Scott Weiland in one-sentence statement
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
Stone Temple Pilots fire Scott Weiland in one-sentence statement

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/stone-temple-pilots-fire-scott-weiland-in-one-sentence-statement-1.1174674

NEW YORK -- Singer Scott Weiland said he learned that he'd been fired by the Stone Temple Pilots when the band released a one-sentence statement to the media Wednesday.
"I learned of my supposed 'termination' from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press," he wrote in a statement. "Not sure how I can be 'terminated' from a band that I founded, fronted and co-wrote many of its biggest hits, but that's something for the lawyers to figure out."
The statement by the band said: "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." No other information was provided.
Weiland said he's focusing on his solo tour, which kicks off Friday in Flint, Mich.
Stone Temple Pilots' 1992 debut, "Core," has sold more than 8 million units in the United States. Their hits include "Vasoline," "Interstate Love Song" and "Plush," which won a Grammy in 1993 for best hard rock performance with vocal.
Weiland was also in the supergroup Velvet Revolver with Slash and other musicians. The 45-year-old has dealt with drug addiction, run-ins with the law and two failed marriages. He released his memoir, "Not Dead & Not for Sale," in 2011.
The Stone Temple Pilots' latest album is their self-titled 2010 release.

I am, smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed. I am, smelling like a rose that somebody gave me cause I'm dead and bloated.

Kittay

• Used To Do A Little
Re: Stone Temple Pilots fire Scott Weiland in one-sentence statement
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:34:56 AM »
saw this in a-4-d.com

STP lookin' for a singah?
sounds familiar somehow
Mansfield, MA 08/24/1988, Worcester, MA 12/05 and 12/06/1991, Hartford, CT 03/09/1993
Hartford, CT 11/19/2011, Worcester, MA 11/25/2011

rds.06

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • "I'm Melting"
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:03:09 AM »
Did anyone read his autobiography?

Or his wives?
clean your ears...Nickelback's guitar work is awesome.

*Estranged*

• All Geared Up
  • Official First Member of the Prostitutes Union.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 02:36:37 AM »
Did anyone read his autobiography?

Or his wives?

I had to wait several years to read Weilands Autobiography (Cause it was constantly pushed back) and it was one of the worst/disappointing books ever! not your your $$$
I am, smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed. I am, smelling like a rose that somebody gave me cause I'm dead and bloated.

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:29 AM »
i have never been able to tolerate weiland or stp in any way...i mean SUCK SHIT DICKHEAD
Humanary Stew

Kittay

• Used To Do A Little
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 04:55:53 AM »
DeLeos are brilliant - I hope they can work up something else
Mansfield, MA 08/24/1988, Worcester, MA 12/05 and 12/06/1991, Hartford, CT 03/09/1993
Hartford, CT 11/19/2011, Worcester, MA 11/25/2011

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
Re: Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »
http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/109027/Stone-Temple-Pilots-to-unveil-new-singer-at-Hollywood-gig
Rockers Stone Temple Pilots will unveil their new frontman at an invitation-only event in Hollywood on 14 November (17).

The group has been without a singer since the late Chester Bennington quit the group in 2015 to spend more time with his main band Linkin Park and his family.

He stepped in to replace another tragic rocker, Scott Weiland, who was fired by the band in 2013. Weiland passed away from an accidental drug overdose in December, 2015, while on tour.

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 07:22:15 PM »
I really think they should call it a day. You can't replace Scott Weiland, have a little respect as well. Chester was -unexpectedly- great with STP, but now it should really be it. Won't be following this "band" (more like a brand name) anymore.

Backfromthedead

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
... now it should really be it. Won't be following this "band" (more like a brand name) anymore.

I do get your point, but the De Leo Brothers (who worked for and lived with this band for ages) probably would disagree with you here!

http://loudwire.com/stone-temple-pilots-robert-dean-deleo-defend-keeping-band-name/

Read more about them here:
https://terranealife.com/stone-temple-pilots-bassist-robert-deleo-finds-peace-and-passion-on-the-california-coast/
On the strength of its first single, “Big Empty,” STP’s second album, Purple, debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200. To date, both albums have sold more than 14 million copies in the U.S. alone. Robert is listed as either the sole writer or co-writer of the music for 17 of the two albums’ 23 songs, which is something you’d have to Google because it’s not information he would voluntarily share.

“I’m still getting to know myself as a human being,” he admits. “I take the advice of good friends who I respect. I listen to my own body. My dad passed at 57 years old. I smoked cigarettes and partied, but it’s my choice to do things that are healthy for my life, and it’s a pleasure to be where I’m at. For a Jersey boy to move out to California and make a living off of music? Dream come true, man. I never take that for granted.”

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/stone-temple-pilots-core-revisited-guitarist-dean-deleo
But I’ll tell you what, man, Scott was just an incredible human being. An incredibly gifted and talented human being. I mean, you saw the guy’s body, right? He was like a genetic masterpiece. So strong. And whatever he did, it was like, “You wanna go hit golf balls?” And he’s hitting them 200 yards, straight. “Let’s go waterskiing.” He’s just shredding it. He was just that guy. Whatever he did he was really, really good at. And I’ll fucking say this loud and proud: Scott Weiland was one of the best lyricists of our time. His lyrics and his melodies and his delivery…he was the fucking best, man. It was an honor to be onstage with that cat. And it was an amazing place to be there with him while writing a song. I miss that guy. I miss the guy he was. I’ve missed him for about 15 years.

You mentioned Chester. I can only imagine how shocking his death must have been for you, not just on its own but also given what you had experienced not too long before with losing Scott.

You know, we lost an angel, man. We lost an angel. [pauses] I loved Chester dearly, man. He was just an exquisite guy. I really, really loved him. And I’m really, really going to miss him for the rest of my days.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:51:26 AM by Backfromthedead »

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 07:04:24 PM »
I have huge respect for them. I am not saying they should retire or stop playing music, but this band is unfortunately dead. They could perhaps form a different group or tour solo. And I very much hope the same happens with the surviving Linkin Park members, though I have this funny feeling that they will try to keep the band alive (and they SHOULDN'T).

Backfromthedead

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
I have huge respect for them. I am not saying they should retire or stop playing music, but this band is unfortunately dead. They could perhaps form a different group or tour solo.

You did not read their statements here, did you?  :?:
http://loudwire.com/stone-temple-pilots-robert-dean-deleo-defend-keeping-band-name/
When lineup changes happen, there are two schools of thought -- either continue under the same name or pick a new moniker to signify the change of direction within the group. It's something many bands struggle with, including Stone Temple Pilots, who are set to continue their career after the exit of vocalist Chester Bennington and the death of original vocalist Scott Weiland. While appearing on SiriusXM's Covino and Rich Show, brothers Robert and Dean DeLeo discussed the decision to keep the band name, pointing out they had previously gone the other direction with past projects.

"We did that [performing under another name with Talk Show], we did that," recalls Robert (as transcribed by Alternative Nation). "We [also] did Army of Anyone with Richard Patrick, and Ray Luzier on drums. That’s not what this is, we want this to be Stone Temple Pilots. We want it to be the three members of Stone Temple Pilots with another singer moving forward. That’s what we want to do.”

But the biggest reason for keeping the name may be a sonic one. Robert concludes, "It’s hard sonically for Dean, Eric, and myself to not sound like Stone Temple Pilots. Why name it something different? We worked hard at creating the brand of Stone Temple Pilots. We worked long and hard, and went through a lot of things."

Seein they are the three constant members of STP (who stuck with the band in hard times), they do have a point there! I think it's been a (media) misconception that Scott was the face/head of this band. He was important of course, but as pointed out already, much of the music was made/written by De Leo and Co.!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:49:52 AM by Backfromthedead »

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »
Sorry, this is just not convincing. Let's agree to disagree. For me, STP = Scott, effing brilliant voice, and with the attitude and all. At the very least, he was the visible face of the band.

Re their statement, that is why I was a bit more nuanced in my previous message. I cannot ask some effing good musicians in their 50s to retire because they lost their frontman. It is just not fair to them, and I know that they have worked hard to get there and that they are super talented. But it is just the end of STP, no two ways about it. Don't do it like Queen or something...

Backfromthedead

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
Sorry, this is just not convincing. Let's agree to disagree. For me, STP = Scott

Yeah well, like I said in my opinion this is a misconception, fueled by the media too. We have three quarters of the band here and they have every right to keep this name.   :nod:

(If you disagree, you might as well argue that Steven & Izzy were not the face, but the backbone of GNR and without them...)  :rolleyes:

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »
(If you disagree, you might as well argue that Steven & Izzy were not the face, but the backbone of GNR and without them...)  :rolleyes:

I actually agree with this statement. They will never get the same sound without them.

Backfromthedead

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »
I actually agree with this statement. They will never get the same sound without them.

So what d'you call them? NewGNR was reserved for the "new" band between 1998 and 2014, wasn't it? Some called it "Axl & friends", so this now would be "Axl & old friends":lol:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:27:16 AM by Backfromthedead »

TARS

• A Classic Case
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 12:12:40 AM »
Axl and old drinking buddies. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Backfromthedead

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 09:35:24 AM »
Axl and old drinking buddies.

Nice one!   :giggle:

Backfromthedead

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/stone-temple-pilots-on-new-singer-scott-weilands-legacy-w511468

"It's Stone Temple Pilots time again," says Robert DeLeo, and judging by the band's gig at the Troubadour on Tuesday night, indeed it is. The long-running rock outfit, which also includes guitarist (and Robert's older brother) Dean DeLeo and drummer Eric Kretz, used the invite-only SiriusXM event at the legendary West Hollywood club as an opportunity to unveil new singer Jeff Gutt...

"Jeff wasn't even part of the singer submissions. But Robert happened to be playing a gig with the Hollywood Vampires in Michigan and somebody came backstage after the show and approached him and said, 'You should check this guy out. He's a local guy.' And Robert called me the next morning and was like, 'Hey, man ...'"
Just a few months later, Gutt was the new singer of Stone Temple Pilots.

"Having two people that we've intimately shared so much with, and knowing they're gone, it's sad," Robert says. "It's very sad. It's not the way that I thought things were going to go in life."