Please login or register. December 21, 2014, 01:23:29 AM

Author Topic: Gibson or Fender  (Read 3647 times)

Crazy Child

• King Dick
  • Yesterday's got nothing for me...
Re: Gibson or Fender
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »
Page had a pretty kick ass Tele back in the ole Zep 1 days :rockon:

That he did, and Hendrix and Malmsteen were def Strat men. the thing is that all those guys played with older versions of the brand. Imo, Fender was never the same after CBS took over in '65. Gibson has also undergone many changes...
Some of my favorite lyrics: 
All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players
On a good day, I know it ain't everday, we can part the seas
If ya wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise
History hides the lies of our Civil War

Crazy Child

• King Dick
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 08:19:46 AM »
Imo, a Strat before '65 is THE way to go...if you can find one :(
If ya wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise

Crazy Child

• King Dick
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
Indeed.

Just going off the top of my head here, but I seem to recall him using a blue strat at the Knebworth gig in 79?

(at least on "In The Evening")

Tony Iommi used a strat on "Wicked World" and another song I cant think of right now on the first Sabbath album, I think its "The Warning"
Yes it was a '64 strat at Knebworth...

Crazy Child

• King Dick
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »
Pagey was a funny cat. He used a Tele here and there, Strats, and Gibson's  Les Paul , (although he used other models by Gibson as well) during different parts of his career. All were older models of the guitars. The oldest was the '53 Telecaster, and the newest one I know of is a '71 Gibson, used on Stairway and other songs...Guitarists often stick with one brand when they find what they like, but Pagey floated back and forth between Fender and Gibson. I always recall him in the movie "The Song Remains The Same" with the burgundy, double neck, custom made Gibson. :rockon:

chezequerz

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
Are we talking old or new?

Old Gibson > Old Fender > New Fender > New Gibson

at least that's my opinion of 'em.
Apparently a new Amy Winehouse 'Greatest Hits' collection is coming out, but the tinfoil and spoons aren't included.

Crazy Child

• King Dick
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »
Are we talking old or new?

Old Gibson > Old Fender > New Fender > New Gibson

at least that's my opinion of 'em.

Good point, the older models of both brands had good and bad points. Same with the newer models. I am partial to the older Strat's, but that's just me :) As far as which is best, again, it is a matter or personal taste in sound, instrument shape, pickups, type of music you play, etc. As I said, I like the old Strats best, however, I would def take an old Gibson over a new Gib or a new Strat, call me old school, but I just think the older models had a better sound. But that is just my opinion. Many like the new models, as well, which is fine. They still sound good, but I prefer the old. Personal preference is key, I think, more than brands, year made, etc. If you love a knockoff guitar that is well made and sounds great, does it really matter if it is a '62 Strat or a '71 Gibson? No, it is what YOU like..as long as it is of decent quality, so it will last a while and perform properly for you....
You can always become a mad scientist like Eddie Van Halen and others and create your own Frankenstein guitar...

GnR587

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
Fender sucks. They're boring, no fun to play, and they and sound like  :yuk2:
Always choose the Gibson  :D

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • The Theory of Everything
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »
Well, it's quite different to compare Fender with Gibson than to compare Squier with Epiphone..

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 06:56:08 AM »
Im not a guitarist, but I wouldnt be too quick to write off a guitar based on brand name alone.
Humanary Stew

c!

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »
Gibsons (specially Les Pauls) are EXTREMELY OVERPRICED.

Worst part is that you spend a couple grand in a Les Paul and you find yourself having to set up the instrument, it's not as simple as taking the guitar out of the case and play. Sure, they look cool and they have great sustain, but I find they're not worth that much (another consideration is the POOR neck/paddle construction, dropped the guitar? wave goodbye to the neck/paddle joint).

For that price you can get a Paul Reed Smith that's a superior guitar in every single way, really versatile, comfortable to play, beautiful design and you can tell they've been ANAL about the choice of materials and construction. Take it out of the case and it's all set up, tuned and ready to make it rock.

Anyway, choosing guitars just by brands it's absurd, always try them, despite their versatility, you'll find that one model will suit better what you want to play, and if you play different styles of music and you care about TONE, you'll realize why some musicians don't stick to one model/brand. I find a Strat beats the shit out of a Les Paul if you're playing funk, and the other way around if you're playing reggae or ska.

Don't use your eyes, USE YOUR EARS.