Please login or register. August 19, 2017, 11:29:05 PM

Author Topic: Strings for a cheap V  (Read 3683 times)

Faxl

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
Strings for a cheap V
« on: February 17, 2012, 11:52:26 PM »
So i finally settled on this -

- and I love it, but snapped the high E string the other day. Am unsure on the string gauge for these kind of guitars, I know they're thinner than the ones on my LP copy and Strat copy and that's one of the reasons I love this 'un over them. Help much needed. Ta ~

The Spaghetti Incident?

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • All those wasted hours we used to know..
Re: Strings for a cheap V
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »
I read somewhere they are thinner than those found on LP and Strat copies

pawnshop-guitars

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • Time for a gin?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »
Yes, they will be thinner as it is more of a 'shredder' guitar. But really, its up to you what strings you put on! Every guitar manufacturer does varying gauges. I use Ernie Ball slinkys, and they do super slinkys which would fit that guitar nicely. But as I said, it comes down to personal preference. Iron Maiden, for example, stick superslinkys on their modified strats I am pretty sure.
I think it is high time for a bit of class around here, don't you?

c!

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 05:35:33 AM »
The gauge has nothing to do with slinky/superslinky, that's actually related to the materials the strings are made of.

Smaller gauge (thinner) strings are more comfortable for doing INSANE bends where yiu can go easily 3 steps over the original note., BUT they sound "weak" and "thin" unless your guitar is a solid body guitar made of at least decent quality woods (not something you find in cheap guitars) and/or have HOT pickups.

Seriously, forget about small gauge strings for guitars with a floating tremolo system (like a floyd rose)

I never go under .09 they're actually comfortable and elastic enough to provide good playability and sound. But .10 is where it rocks, although they're "harder," but your fingers get used to them quickly.

Some friends use .11 and even .12, I can't play that shit, but they do have better sustain!

When I talk numbers, these are the gauges of the 1st string (thinnest). And guitar string sets are built on that. If you go to a store and ask for .09 they'll offer you different brands, just compare the gauges of the other strings and find what suits you best. Saying "the strings of my strat or LP copy" doesn't mean shit, it could be .09 or .14 sets or even fucking nylon strings or even rope.

pawnshop-guitars

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • Time for a gin?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »
Well, you live and learn. I swear to god I have only ever seen slinkys at 10 and superslinkys at 9. I guess that must be what happens when you live in such a musically deprived city as Aberdeen :'(
I think it is high time for a bit of class around here, don't you?

c!

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
Well, you live and learn. I swear to god I have only ever seen slinkys at 10 and superslinkys at 9. I guess that must be what happens when you live in such a musically deprived city as Aberdeen :'(

oops! I think You were right and I was mistaken.

I just checked the Ernie Ball guitar strings and the slinky IS actually the way they classify their strings according to gauge! My bad!

EXTRA SLINKY    8-38

SUPER SLINKY    9-42

HYBRID SLINKY    9-46

REGULAR SLINKY    10-46

SKINNY TOP HEAVY BOTTOM    10-52

POWER SLINKY    11-48

NOT EVEN SLINKY    12-56

I use the Regular Slinky, I find they're the most balanced :)

sploit

• Catcher
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »
D'Addario Strings are my favourite brand...they just seem to have more "twang" to them...

I use 9 guage, so those are pretty thin...

...tried 8 but they snapped before I got to use 'em...whilst tuning them (not sure if that was 'cause of guage or 'cause of the brand - they were Rotosound which I do not normally use).

So yeah, I recommend D'Addarios...
!!!
  oP
 St
   li