Please login or register. September 26, 2017, 06:29:22 AM

Author Topic: November 19, Hartford  (Read 5266 times)

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • The Theory of Everything
November 19, Hartford
« on: November 21, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
01. Dexter Intro
02. Chinese Democracy
03. Welcome to the Jungle
04. It's So Easy
05. Mr. Brownstone
06. Sorry
07. Riff Raff
08. Estranged
09. Better
10. Rocket Queen
11. Richerd Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)
12. Live and Let Die
13. This I Love
14. Shackler's Revenge
15. My Generation
16. Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Baba O'Riley)
17. Street Of Dreams
18. You Could Be Mine
19. DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (The Ballad Of Death)
20. Sweet Child O' Mine
21. Instrumental Jam (Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2)
22. Axl Rose Piano Solo
23. November Rain
24. Bumblefoot Guitar Solo (Pink Panther Theme)
25. Don't Cry
26. Whole Lotta Rosie
27. Out Ta Get Me
28. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
29. Nightrain
Encore:
30. Madagascar
31. Nice Boys
32. Patience
33. Paradise City

Catcher88

• Bad Obsession
  • All men betray. All lose heart!
Re: November 19, Hartford
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »
Again a VERY LONG show!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:43:01 PM by Catcher88 »

axlisgawd

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
I have seen countless Rock Concerts, going all the way back to Led Zepelin in the Garden.

I was at the Hartford show, with my 17 year old daughter, and her first GNR Concert.
I will simply say.....  The greatest live performance of any band I have ever seen.

I was at Hartford 2002, and the difference was night and day. The performance then was 'ok', sometimes sketchy, Axl's voice was not always the best, and the lack of chemistry was noticeable, especially Buckethead.

But all I saw Saturday night was one great performance after another. Many of the songs sounded almost studio like. Axl's voice was the best I've heard since the early days. He was energetic, enthusiastic, and well behaved :)

The chemistry with this lineup is evident.  Everyone is having fun. I love 'dah new guy', DJ. And what can you say about Bumblefoot that has not already been said.

I have read the post about his health, and viewing some of the bootleg video, at times he seems almost in pain. I hope all is well, they need him.  I thought the departure of Brain, Bucket and Finck would be the finanl nail, but i was happily wrong. This is a far better lineup. My daughter was floored and amzed, and cannot wait for the next show.

As a father and one of your greatest fans...  Thank you Axl  :bow: :rockon:

Crazy Child

• King Dick
  • Yesterday's got nothing for me...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »
That is awesome! Looks like the set list is pretty standard, what a great set! Who opened? Bach or Buckcherry?
Some of my favorite lyrics: 
All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players
On a good day, I know it ain't everday, we can part the seas
If ya wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise
History hides the lies of our Civil War

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »
When did they start playing the Dexter intro?
Fuck Cork and all Cork related things

Kittay

• Used To Do A Little
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »
Started at 11:30 p.m. and ended at 2:30 a.m.
It was great to hear Better, Shacklers, Out To Get Me and Estranged.
Tommy singing My Generation was excellent too.
Another high light for me - intros to Don't Cry, November Rain, Madagascar and Paradise City.
I enjoyed all aspects of the show except drum sound. Symbols and hi-hat inaudible. My seat was crappy - hard stage right, couldn't see most of the screens. I moved around during both Bach's set and GNR's trying in vain to find a sweet spot for sound. Drums sound was disservice to Frank - I watched him play a groove I couldn't hear. Very frustrating. Compressed range on drums and bass and sometimes Axl was buried. For the most part though GNR show was a first-rate experience, my first time seeing New GNR. Very impressed with musicianship and interaction with audience and each other. Three excellent and very different guitar players. DJ flubbed one sequence during his solo part in Estranged and made a bitter face - I saw that on the screen as it was close in on him for the solo - poor guy.

axlisgawds fan review above says it best, thanks for that post.
Comcast Theater very cool about amateur grade recording devices coming in. For the most part it was run like a bar -concessions selling cheap (quality) beer every 20ft in the outer pavilions.
I watched two security part to allow a fan to shake Axl's hand. Afterward, the fan (very large US Marine looking fellow) did an end zone dance and gave those startled guards each a bear hug for allowing him access to the edge of the stage. It was sweet.

Axl did make at least one cryptic remark for forums to discuss: "I better be nice to you guys (in Hartford) because some of you may end up being my neighbors soon."
After the last encore Axl flung his mic into the audience. Lucky person has it for a souvenir now.
Mansfield, MA 08/24/1988, Worcester, MA 12/05 and 12/06/1991, Hartford, CT 03/09/1993
Hartford, CT 11/19/2011, Worcester, MA 11/25/2011

Crazy Child

• King Dick
  • Yesterday's got nothing for me...
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »
@ Kittay,
Sounds like it was a great show! I'm glad you had a great time! I hope for both our our sakes, that Worcester is just as good.  Bach open in Hartford? How was he?  As I said before, I am pretty sure it is Buckcherry in Worcester...
That was really nice of security to let that man shake Axl's hand at the edge of the stage. It's nice to see that there are some cool people out there still :)
I am wondering about that comment about some of the fans being his neighbors soon...Is Axl moving to the area, I wonder?  :ninja:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:52:31 PM by Crazy Child »
Some of my favorite lyrics: 
All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players
On a good day, I know it ain't everday, we can part the seas
If ya wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise
History hides the lies of our Civil War

Kittay

• Used To Do A Little
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:52 AM »
I think that was the point - fans are supposed to wonder about Axl's comment and discuss it in forums ad nauseam.

Looking forward to seeing Buckcherry.

Listening to Bach made me miss Skid Row. Bach opened with Slave to the Grind. Covered every other radio/MTV friendly song Skid Row recorded. Couldn't hear the drummer very well, seemed good. Lead guitar, guy named Nick from Phoenix, played very well - did justice to both Sabo and Hill's parts on the Skid Row songs - guy needs to eat more carbs though. If he wasn't holding that heavy guitar the breeze from a sneeze could have knocked him over. Bach had a lot of effect on his voice - seemed to be very much in tune compared to the old days with Skid Row.

Did I mention Skid Row?

Looking forward to seeing Buckcherry. (Jimmy's my favorite. He better still be in the band. Best song off last album, All Night Long, is Liberty. It features nice slide guitar groove.)

Which reminds me of another highlight of GNR show in Hartford - Richard Fortus playing slide guitar. I would enjoy more of that (please see avatar).
Mansfield, MA 08/24/1988, Worcester, MA 12/05 and 12/06/1991, Hartford, CT 03/09/1993

fan

• It Was A Long Time With Me
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:06:54 AM »

After the last encore Axl flung his mic into the audience. Lucky person has it for a souvenir now.

It's great everyone had a blast. Another proof Guns N' Roses are rocking hard at the moment.

I was at a festival in Milan, Italy in 2006 and I was in the fan-pit. Most of the show I was somewhere front rows, but I needed to get something to drink after being there for hours, and I watched the last two songs from the back of the pit, because I liked my space during Paradise City.

Anyway, Axl threw the mic like he always does and the fucker was flying just a little above me (it's distance in my memory gets shorter every year) and I'm quite tall, but I couldn't catch it. The mass of people behind the pit fought for it for a while and I don't know who got it. But that would be the best souvenir one could ever want at a GN'R show. I'd be all shove your picks and drum sticks, this is something worth saving:D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:09:25 AM by fan »
The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think
Oh by the way, which one's Pink?

June 4th 2006 - Gods of Metal Festival (Milan, Italy)
September 24th 2010 - Zagreb Arena (Zagreb, Croatia)

lotsajizz

• A Stranger We Met
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »
Hartford Review-19th—GnR , Allison & I check in at the downtown Marriott.  We’ve a walk around town, a nice dinner at Vavo—the hotel’s Italian restaurant.  Then a nap, wake up after 8, head over by taxi to the Comcast Theater and walk in just before 10 PM.  Sebastian Bach is finishing up.  We see his last three songs or so.  He’s in fine voice, finishes, as always, with “I Remember You”.  Then – the wait, the jockeying for position.  Made unhappy by loutish drunk goons from Quebec looking for fights and pushing women around and exercising their limited English —mostly profanities.  My being coiled and ready to go definitely put a crimp in enjoying the first few songs.  Anyway, 11:20 the lights go down....
01. the Dexter Intro
02. Chinese Democracy
03. Welcome to the Jungle
04. It's So Easy
By this time, I’m enjoying myself and noting the band is in high spirits and fine form!
05. Mr. Brownstone
06. Sorry—Axl REALLY elongates the notes here!
07. Riff Raff—the classic AC-DC cover seems to fire up people again as another drunk Quebecois & I get into a shoving match
08. Estranged—nailed, PERFECTLY, Thal’s solos here are awesome!
09. Better—back in the lineup after being missed in Thursday’s show, played superbly!
10. Rocket Queen---LA sleaze at its finest
11. Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)—jammed out very different than the versions I heard last year.
12. Live and Let Die—flash/bang!
13. This I Love...Axl intros it with “This is our ‘black Bond’ song......’black Bond’”
14. Shackler's Revenge---a good early sign that this could be a longer show than normal
15. My Generation—Tommy’s time in the spotlight.  A high-energy version, perfect bass solos of which ol’ Thunderfingers would be proud!
16. Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Baba O'Riley)
17. Street Of Dreams—Axl sings the crap out of it “What I thought was beautiful don’t live inside of you, anymore.....”
18. You Could Be Mine—the slam-dancing begins again!
19. DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (The Ballad Of Death)—lots of heart thumps from DJ to the crowd!
20. Sweet Child O' Mine – the place is rocking from front to back
21. Instrumental Jam (Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2)
22. Axl Rose Piano Solo (the usual Elton homage)
23. November Rain
24. Bumblefoot Guitar Solo (Pink Panther Theme)
25. Don't Cry---started as just Ron Thal and built into the full version!
26. Whole Lotta Rosie—sung with wicked glee by Axl “42-39-56, you can say she got it aaallllllllllll!!!!”
27. Out Ta Get Me---This sends me over the top as I now know we will get the long version concert tonight and ‘Nice Boys’ will probably also be included!  My voice is fried here after screaming!
28. Knockin' On Heaven's Door---Axl seems to screech effortlessly into ever higher pitches!
29. Nightrain---choo choo!  DJ goes a few rows in!
Encore:
30. Madagascar—perfectly done, very dramatic
31. Nice Boys—Lovely, expected....Punk fury unleashed!
32. Patience---Fortus and Thal sitting together at the edge of the stage, strumming the extended intro on acoustic guitars, Axl whistling and high-fiving the front row.  DJ takes ownership of the solo with a twisted, very cool, metallic take!
33. Paradise City—It began as a bluesey jam, slowly transmogrifying into the familiar chords....Axl’s whistle doesn’t work, he shrugs, smiles, tosses it into the crowd anyway.   Pandemonium ensues, the confetti, the slamming, the explosions, feeling the heat from the fireballs!

A mile and a half/half-hur walk back to the hotel.  We get to our room at 3:15 AM!  This band is on fire and well worth it!  I remember the 'neighbor' comment...we all went 'wtf?'
"To make a beast of one's self is to get rid of the pain of being a man"  Dr. Johnson

fan

• It Was A Long Time With Me
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
Was this at the Hartford show?

The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think
Oh by the way, which one's Pink?

June 4th 2006 - Gods of Metal Festival (Milan, Italy)
September 24th 2010 - Zagreb Arena (Zagreb, Croatia)

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • The Theory of Everything
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »
Looks more like 2010, but I could be wrong.

SoulMonster

• A Classic Case
  • Happy semi-hippie. Grinning at walls.
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
Looks more like 2010, but I could be wrong.

It was at one of the latest shows, can't remember which one.

lotsajizz

• A Stranger We Met
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
wasn't Hartford
"To make a beast of one's self is to get rid of the pain of being a man"  Dr. Johnson

Kittay

• Used To Do A Little
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
I like the style  of your setlist w/comments post lotsajizz. :thumbsup:

"It began as a bluesey jam, slowly transmogrifying into the familiar chords"
Best intro to live Paradise City I've heard. Loved it.

Sorry about the Quebecois problem. All the people I met at the show were very cool. All the inexperienced drinkers missed me, thank goodness.