Please login or register. October 26, 2014, 04:38:24 AM

Author Topic: Norman, OK - Wednesday Nov. 9th  (Read 6759 times)

soonernfl18

• A Stranger We Met
Norman, OK - Wednesday Nov. 9th
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:27:20 PM »
I will be going to the concert in the vip pit. I won't be able to give live updates, but I will take pictures and videos. Hopefully I won't be too tired to post them right after I get back from the concert.

On another note, can anyone give advise where the best place is to stand in the vip area. Like should we be center stage or on one of the sides?

soonernfl18

• A Stranger We Met
Re: Norman, OK - Wednesday Nov. 9th
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
also, the lloyd noble center website, the place hosting the concert, says cameras are prohibited. How do I get one in?

AxlRose#1Fan

• Realtime Visionary
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:48 AM »
I hate that arenas and venues that have concerts don't allow cameras...I think that rule stinks but it's up to the rules of the arena or venue.The last guns concert I went too,I tried to take a picture with my cell (didn't have a digital camera then like I do now) and as soon as they saw the white light from my cell phone screen a security guard came over and told me to turn off my cell phone,that I couldn't take pictures...If they don't allow cameras then I wouldn't attempt to bring one because chances are the security will catch you and ask you to turn it off but it's worth a shot.I still think they should allow people to take pics and some video of the concert but it's their rules!

GNRFAN96

• Catcher
  • Cause it would take a lot more hate than you.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:54:07 AM »
Setlist:

Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sorry
Riff Raff
Estranged
Rocket Queen
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo
Live and Let Die
This I Love
Better
My Generation
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
Street Of Dreams
You Could Be Mine
DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
Instrumental Jam
Axl Rose Piano Solo
November Rain
Bumblefoot Guitar Solo
Don't Cry
Whole Lotta Rosie
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Instrumental Jam
Nightrain

Encore:

Madagascar
Shackler's Revenge
Patience
Out Ta Get Me
Nice Boys
Instrumental Jam
Paradise City

That's the best set so far.  That's every single song played all year all in one show.  Sweet.
Adelaide Australia 07/12/2010, Brisbane Australia 20/03/2013

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • The Theory of Everything
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »
Cool set indeed. Has to be at least 3 hours?

SoulMonster

• A Classic Case
  • Happy semi-hippie. Grinning at walls.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
Review in NewsOK.com:

One month ago, a viral video of Guns N' Roses performing "Welcome to the Jungle" in Rio de Janeiro immediately downgraded expectations for Axl Rose's Wednesday/Thursday performance at Lloyd Noble Center in Norman. In the widely circulated clip that hit major music blogs in early October, Rose looked desperately out of shape and sounded just as desperately out of tune.

But what a difference a month makes.

When Rose took the stage at 10:45 p.m. after an opening set by Oklahoma City's Hinder, he looked fit and sounded much like the snake-dancing dervish who dominated stadiums in the late-1980s and early 1990s. Launching into the title track from 2008's "Chinese Democracy" and immediately hitting the crowd with "Jungle," he seemed to have no trouble reaching the high notes and, just as importantly, sustaining them. And he kept doing it for three solid hours, a massive march through "Appetite for Destruction," "G N' R Lies," "Use Your Illusion" and "Chinese Democracy" that drove roughly half the crowd back to their beds before the last explosive notes of "Paradise City" rang out at 1:45 a.m. Thursday morning.

This has been standard operating procedure for Guns N' Roses on this tour: start late, play long. Rose seemed to relish the wee hours, telling the crowd at the start of the 1 a.m. encore, "I hope all those who left early enjoyed their Lady Gaga albums."

But along the way, the 49-year-old Rose gave the audience nearly everything on their wish lists, running through "Appetite" classics such as "It's So Easy," "Mr. Brownstone" and "Rocket Queen" and carefully dispensing tracks from "Chinese Democracy" such as "Sorry" and "Better" in between the crowd pleasers.

Of course, that wry title for G N' R's most recent album almost describes what the band has become. Thanks to a legal maneuver dating back two decades, Rose owns Guns N' Roses, but by all appearances he is a benevolent dictator, showcasing his band members throughout the set. While most Guns N' Roses fans acknowledge that the quintessential lineup would include Slash, Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin and either Steven Adler or Matt Sorum playing behind Rose, the current lineup is more than up to the task of performing G N' R's back catalog. Rose first ceded the spotlight to guitarist Richard Fortus for a hard-edged take on the James Bond theme before segueing into "Live and Let Die." Bassist Tommy Stinson sang lead on The Who's "My Generation" and longtime keyboardist Dizzy Reed played a solo version of The Who's "Baba O'Riley." Lead guitarist D.J. Ashba took an extended lead before playing the familiar opening notes of "Sweet Child O' Mine," and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal played "The Pink Panther Theme" as a lead-in to "Don't Cry."

Along the way, Rose indulged in two choice AC/DC covers from the Bon Scott era: "Riff Raff" and "Whole Lotta Rosie." All these detours pushed the running time for the concert into endurance test territory, but just when energy started to lag in the arena, a stone-cold classic like "November Rain" or "Nightrain" would shock the crowd back to life.

Rose, who frequently left the stage to change hats or leather jackets, kept a quick pace, running up and down the stage ramps during the encore -- Ashba couldn't quite keep up, tumbling down a ramp near the end of the show. But Rose's pace was better than the concert's as a whole: as much as he might resist it, trimming some "Chinese Democracy" tracks in favor of the better and better-known early material would keep more people in the seats, even late into the night. But Rose proved that he could still cut it, and that the online evidence of his decline was either greatly exaggerated or simply no longer true.

Read more: http://newsok.com/concert-review-guns-n-roses-play-lloyd-noble-center/article/3621607#ixzz1dIl0M4tr

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
  • The Theory of Everything
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »
Fair review. Probably almost nobody will read it.

russkwtx

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • I don't really care
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
Just back from Oklahoma, here's my review.

Band came on stage at 10:40pm and last note was played at 1:45am.

First, I want to say that I've been going to concerts for decades and have seen dozens of shows. All the big names and some bands that probably only  a few on this board have heard of. Last night's show in Oklahoma was the best concert I have ever seen. Period. The set list was phenomenal, they played for more than 3 hours (who does that today?), the sound mix was excellent, and Axl's vocals were strong and clear. Just a phenomenal experience all the way around. Thanks to an excellent sound system and proper mixing the songs were very powerful, even This I Love which as I previously indicated is not one of my favorites. But last night it sounded great. Axl was super energetic, running around like it was 1991. He did not leave the stage as often as in Dallas (11/5/11) and was not gone as long. He was dancing around and having a great time.

The band played all the usual songs from this leg of the tour. I did not try to keep track, I just wanted to enjoy. But the best thing about the show was the encore--6 songs! I may have the order incorrect but it basically was:

Maddy
Shacklers
Patience
OTGM
Nice Boys
Paradise

What a treat!

I called the wife from Oklahoma this morning and told her not to look for me for a while, I had decided to not come home and just follow the band around for a few weeks. I was joking of course. But I wish that I could.

Other thoughts:

The organization of the concert: This has nothing to do with Guns, but OU had the weirdest "organization" (if you can call it that) that I ever saw.
I arrived at the venue at about 9pm. I parked and started walking to the entrance when I saw a huge long line, maybe 2000 people. I asked what it was and they said it was the line to get in. So we all waited, advancing a few steps every couple of minutes. After about 25 minutes of this (it was cold!) we were getting toward the front (frontish) and a university representative said that people with tickets could go to the side of the building (another line) and enter there. So the front main entrance was apparently will call only. It was not marked and only that one person at the front of the line was giving out this information. Why didn't she walk up and down the line? Or why did the university not hire a whole other person to have 2, or even 3 (!) people who would communicate this information? Given the enormous number of police and security inside the venue they easily could have spared one person to go outside so that thousands would not stand in line for no reason for a long time. Then on the side of the building where we were to enter there was again a huge line, but in fact there were multiple entry points but no one was there to tell concert-goers. Overall, it was very strange. I finally got inside and seated about 9:45. I never had an experience like that. Caught a few numbers by the opening band but that was fine with me since I did not think much of them.

Met some nice people in line and enjoyed listening to the uninformed rumors of the numb and naive. "They'll going to play all of CD." It was fun.

Another annoyance: they charged me twice for parking. Parking was included in the overall ticket price when I bought online, but when I got to the parking lot the guy said you have to have a little green ticket. I told him I bought online and the price included parking (like in Dallas) but he said no green ticket, no entry. So I had to pay for parking again, $10. Oh well, what are you going to do?

Beer sales: no problems. There had been rumors that you couldn't buy beer inside the venue. But I saw many neon signs that were permanent fixtures on the walls next to food vendors so that rumor was not true.

Axl's interaction with the crowd: not much at all, to be explained below. Only four instances of Axl interacting with the crowd:
1. announcing DJ's birthday (we all sung happy birthday to him).
2. After Maddy and before Shacklers Axl said, "some of you decided to stick around a while." I did not hear the Lady Gaga line but there was something Axl said at one point that I could not hear because of guitars so that may have been it.
3. At end of OTGM, Axl sang "so you can suck me, take that one to heart Oklahoma." Not really an interaction but the first time the entire show he acknowledged being in Oklahoma.
4. At end of concert, he thanked everyone for coming out and said "Hope to see you again." No promise of a return, unlike in Dallas a few days before. Reminded me of the guy who tells his date "I'll call you."

The audience:

The audience was a major disappointment. Actually, it was pathetic. By the end of the show it was just plain embarrassing to be among the few who remained. I wonder what Axl thought. I know that he noticed.

The venue at full capacity holds, I guessed, about 16,000. Half of it was blocked off for the stage, so capacity would have been 8,000, give or take. At the start of the concert I estimated maybe 7000-7,500 people were in attendance--the pit was 2/3 or 3/4 full; the lower level was full, but the upper level was sparsely populated.

By the time the encore started there were maybe 4000 left, maybe even less. By OTGM, Nice Boys and Paradise there could not have been more than 1000-1200 people in the arena. It was basically empty. The pit was reduced to maybe 300 people, probably less; in the lower level there were scattered people here and there; the upper level was totally empty. At the end of Paradise Axl had to short armed the mike toss into the audience or it would have hit concrete if he had done his usual heave. I know that college students stay up to 2 am to party, so why leave the concert? I guess they were worried about their 8 am classes, and we all know how much OU is a top notch educational institution where studies come first.

Audience.2: This was the first time I saw a concert in a college town venue since, well, I was in college. I expected the crowd to be energetic, even raucous (you should have seen the piles of empty beer cans and bottles lying around outside the venue). The pit was filled with people who basically stood there. This might have been due to the throngs of security who walked through the pit the entire night--why? I expected the college crowd to know the new songs, maybe even more than the old songs. Instead, my impression was that the audience came to hear the "hits" (and especially Sweet Child, the only song for which the crowd actually went wild). The audience was polite and acknowledged the new songs, but were not wildly enthusiastic like I had expected. The audience was much more enthusiastic in Dallas about the new songs.

Summary:
I loved the show, loved the band, loved the music, loved Axl, loved the whole experience. But there was a disconnect between this phenomenal show and a rather pathetic audience.
As I was lying in bed trying to sleep afterward, my ears ringing, I thought to myself:
a. it is a privilege to see GNR, one of the greatest rock bands of all time.
b. it's a privilege to see such a great show by one of the best front men of all time.
c. It's a privilege to see such a long show, who else plays for 3 hours?
So I just don't get why so many people left early. It was a major disappointment and embarrassment to be among the few who stayed to the end.
Anyway, if anyone in the band reads this review I just want to say thank you for putting on the greatest concert I have ever seen. It was an experience that I will never forget.
GNR: 7 times, VR: 4 times, Slash solo: 2 times, all the other bands I've seen don't matter.

Kittay

• Used To Do A Little
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:56:21 AM »
Excellent review - I enjoyed reading it. I've seen a few great bands with lame audiences and felt that embarrassment too. I've also seen GNR live and the audience was so loud I couldn't hear most of Axl's frequent banter but he sure was happy to be there.
Mansfield, MA 08/24/1988, Worcester, MA 12/05 and 12/06/1991, Hartford, CT 03/09/1993
Hartford, CT 11/19/2011, Worcester, MA 11/25/2011

Justin5150

• NewGNR Crew!
  • I'm going to mod all over your tits
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »
To be honest I'm just glad to find out that Norman is OK.
LEAVE IT OUH!!!

slashthe2nd

• All Geared Up
  • Watch me burn
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »
Great review russkwtx :rockon:
I ain't Jumpin' Jack Flash
 I'm no Telegram Sam
 I ain't Ziggy Stardust
 I'm just a heartbreaking son of a bitch

soonernfl18

• A Stranger We Met
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
Ok, I know it has taken me forever to respond but I would agree with everything the other guy said that went to the concert. I was down in the pit and maybe the only one really cheering, of course I had the red bandana on. I was also one the few who stayed for the entire concert. I couldn't believe Axl's voice. The old songs sounded like they were being played off of the recordings the sound was so good. Axl was unbelievable, every guitarist was great, from DJ to Tommy to Bumble to Richard. DJ's solo was great.

DJ cracked me up. During one of the songs, can't remember which, he went into the sparse crowd on the sides of the stage whiling playing. Then he got back on stage, ran across to the other side, tripped and fell down. But he kept playing the guitar on his back like in 'This Is Spinal Tap'. I was laughing my ass off. Unfortunately I think the guitar broke and he got back and got a new one and started playing again. It was also pretty cool hearing Axl sing him happy birthday along with the crowd.

Now I already now why the crowd started leaving early. There were a LOT of middle aged people there. The old people were the ones in the pit just standing there not doing anything. I had two 40 year old guys in front of me just standing there with their arms crossed acting like they didn't want to be there. They acted pissed off when I was jumping up and down. I wanted to tell them to "fuck off". Also, Lloyd Noble center was completely unprepared for handling this thing. They did a lot of stupid stuff. Not really gonna say much more about it.

Axl, again, was awesome. The crowd leaving early didn't faze him. If anything, it made him want to perform better so that the people leaving missed out. I got lots of video and photos but I having problems getting them on my computer since my memory card reader is messing up. The videos are ok but there sound isn't the best and mostly they are partials. I'll try and post some of the pics later today.

I will admit that I was pretty drained during the last hour of the show, but only because the vendors for the pits quit selling after Hinder was done. I was in desperate need of beers about two hours in and in order to get one or even some water, I had to migrate from the front of the pit then go up to flights of stairs to the very top of the arena and then come back down and get back to my friends near the front of the pit without spilling everything. This thing should have been done right at the Chesapeake Arena in OKC but unfortunately it is being remodeled for the Oklahoma City Thunder right now.