Please login or register. August 20, 2014, 01:41:18 PM

Poll

why

melt down to come
9 (69.2%)
just say no
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Rio 4 review  (Read 2356 times)

VELVETWHO

• Failure To Communicate
Rio 4 review
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »
Well it looks like we are going to see Axl at his best this tour. I just got done watching Rio 4 and I have to say that I think the band sounds great. Axl sounded great at times. I like that the lyric monitors messed up. The old man got a little up set. They didn't play Madagascar due to that very reason. Big ups for playing estranged. That gives me a small hope that others from the vault will be heard live soon. Other then that the same set list. maybe I will see them in chi town. wait an see. :coffee

Kusksu

• It Was A Long Time With Me
Re: Rio 4 review
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »
Axl sounded great?? He was the weakest member of the whole band, but unfortunately thats not saying much since the whole band was average at best.
'I was in heaven
I was in hell
Believe in neither
But fear them as well!'

Modest Mouse - Doin The Cockroach

shackler in the rye

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:55:23 AM »
Axl sounded great?? He was the weakest member of the whole band, but unfortunately thats not saying much since the whole band was average at best.

:thumbsup: + 1

car crash.
It's not as if that's my Blood in the Water.. It's not as if my soul is free of despair

taker

• King Dick
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 11:05:37 AM »
Ok seen a few songs from the show now. And yes massivly disapointed. Im sorry buit the rain is no excuse for what happend at that show. the perfrormance just seems poor very poor. And yes they played Estranged. But it dont make up for the rest of it that was a shocking showing from GNR. Axls 2001/2002 voice is back which is bad. hell at least the 2001 show looked awesome and had a sence of magic bout it some how. Hell ill be honest. i still watch the 2001 show sometimes on youtube parts of it. but sad 2 say this is 1 show i shall not be watching after watched it once all the way thro. Now i cant belive what im about 2 say but im glad i did not go 2 that show.

At 1 point i had my mouse over the buy button for a flight 2 Rio for the show. It would have cost me almost 1k 2 see tehm and get bk. so glad did not go now. I dont knwo just have 2 hope his voice comes bk after a few more shows. but again very poor showing from GNR i was so looking forward 2 seeing this show but just left with a big lump of disapointment. And as much as some ppl will blame it on the rain which i knwo afew ppl on here will do. Its not the rain at all. Also yea i love Bumblefoot. But when he missed his little solo for WTTJ that kind of set the tone for the whole show really. You could just see Axl looking at hm why he was wearing his mask and thinking take it off now!.

really am disapointed in that. And even more so that the general was not played. Was rather hoping they would

SoulMonster

• A Classic Case
  • Happy semi-hippie. Grinning at walls.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
First off, great to see the start of a new tour so close to the end of the last! But as usual with GN'R, the first show in the tour wasn't very good . It definitely had its good parts, but too many bad parts. The band overall was for the most part good, as far as I could tell from the Youtube stream. Dj jazzed up his solo which was really nice to see, I wish the other members would follow suit, it's getting a bit boring now. Dj also played generally very well, I liked his solos on Estranged. After a run through the crowd on Nightrain it seems his guitar died and he started smashing it, so Bumbles and Richard had to finish the song alone.

Bumbles fumbled on the Welcome solo because he was wearing a stormtrooper helmet that kept falling down so he couldn't see. He seemed frustrated but it was funny to watch. Another nice episode was Axl bringing Beta, her sister and her father out on stage.

Axl struggled a lot in the beginning and throughout the show at some songs. What was a bit discouraging is that he was off key at times. This is not common for him. But for the most part his main problem was getting the raspiness into his voice and sustaining tones. It was uncomfortable listening to him go from a low raspy voice into a thin high voice whenever he needed to belt tones. It wasn't as bad as in 2002, but definitely gave me deja vu. In addition he also forget the lyrics here and there, which obviously bothered him, especially at the end of November Rain where he stopped singing altogether (thanks for Bumbles for pulling the solos off instead). Axl did very well on some songs, though, like Patience, Estranged, Knockin' and even Nightrain. So, all in all, not a good performance by Axl, but sadly this is expected at the first show of a new tour. He'll probably do better in November...

The show wasn't as long as expected, but I guess the extreme downpour (it was hazardous at times) and Axl's voice problems explains that. Musical highlight was definitely Estranged where the whole band, including Axl, did very well. Fantastic to hear an old favourite again, and thanks to the band for listening to the fans' request. I heard the crowd chant 'Coma', so I guess that is the next old-timer the band has to pull out.

So, all in all an average to poor show. If Axl can find back his late 2010 voice then the rest of the tour will be better and there's no reason to not assume that will happen :)

slashthe2nd

• All Geared Up
  • Watch me burn
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
That's asking too much of Axl to sing coma.
I ain't Jumpin' Jack Flash
 I'm no Telegram Sam
 I ain't Ziggy Stardust
 I'm just a heartbreaking son of a bitch

smoothie illusion

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
Yeah Axl can't pull off coma are you kidding me  :lol:

VELVETWHO

• Failure To Communicate
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:42:36 PM »
when I said that he sounded great at times. I thought that Sorry was ok. estranged was great he held up with that. I think once they get it together late Oct - mid Nov before they cancel shows. Then my next question is who is going to be at the hall of fame? since he doesn't have them. it would be a slap in the face to slash if GNR played in steed of the real deal. AXL should just write songs for other artist like the chick from 4 non blond's. 

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 12:25:02 AM »
Seemed like they were all just going through the motions and they couldn't even get that right.
Fuck Cork and all Cork related things

mickey.rourke

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:54:17 PM »
i am disappointed of axl's performance although i am quite enlighted that they played estranged... still at the show his voice was powerless... and fading... BAD!!!

rocknroll41

• Bad Obsession
  • wel-come-to-buck-et-head-LAND
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
I was predicting that this show would blow since Axl doesn't rehearse with his own freaking band.

When he was young he was able to pull off shows vocal-wise and lyric-wise without having to rehearse. But he's gotta realize that he's older now. I also wasn't expecting new songs since according to Tommy they haven't been working on any. The fact that they played "Estranged" amazes me though...oh, and "There Was a Time."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:13:49 PM by rocknroll41 »
wel-come-to-buck-et-head-LAND

Kittay

• Used To Do A Little
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
Did they play There Was a Time and I missed it?
Mansfield, MA 08/24/1988, Worcester, MA 12/05 and 12/06/1991, Hartford, CT 03/09/1993
Hartford, CT 11/19/2011, Worcester, MA 11/25/2011

Nature Boy

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • Munt cuntles.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »
Did they play There Was a Time and I missed it?

no
Is Trixi still alive?

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »
And now, my review.

It was craptastic.

And thats by anyones standards.
Humanary Stew

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 07:15:38 AM »
Oh, sorry to be positive here but as a fan, it was pretty fucking cool to hear Estranged again  :D

But watching DJ and Frank perform it irks me.
Humanary Stew