Please login or register. September 26, 2017, 10:07:50 AM

Author Topic: Tommy Stinson's new CD proceeds to help Haiti kids  (Read 4408 times)

mothergoose

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
Tommy Stinson's new CD proceeds to help Haiti kids
« on: August 24, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ikJKtCuZrnajZ2pOW5VFpKV9xkmw?docId=9e683f4d349841ff8e4686442597aa72

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A year after Tommy Stinson's online auction raised nearly $50,000 for children ravaged by last year's earthquake in Haiti, the Replacements bassist is getting ready to help out again.
"One Man Mutiny," his second solo effort, comes out Aug. 30 on Stinson's own label, Done to Death Music. He plans to donate half of the proceeds to Timkatec, a nonprofit that houses and educates homeless children in the Port-au-Prince area.

"It could be a little, it could be a lot, depending on how the record does," he told The Associated Press from his home in upstate New York, where he recently moved from suburban Philadelphia.

Timkatec was able to enlarge one of its main buildings and increase enrollment by around 200 children after last year's auction, Stinson said. He put some of his guitars and trademark custom-made plaid suits on the auction block last summer, along with concert passes and other items, after visiting Haiti to attend a graduation ceremony for 60 young men from Timkatec who earned trade degrees.

The school, founded in 1994 by a Roman Catholic priest, trains destitute boys to work as plumbers, electricians, tailors, shoemakers and construction workers; its sister school trains teenage girls as cooks, hairdressers, seamstresses and child care workers.

Haiti has been painfully slow to rebound, and its place in the international spotlight has dimmed, since the magnitude-7 quake pulverized the capital on Jan. 12, 2010. Rubble from thousands of collapsed buildings remains where they fell and The International Organization for Migration estimates about 630,000 Haitians are still without homes.

"I'm probably not going to get to do another auction this year because I don't have enough items for it," he said with a laugh. In the meantime, he is encouraging his friends in the music world to help the organization and hopes that the new record will create additional awareness of Timkatec and its mission, as well as more funding.

Stinson, who is also finishing up a new record with fellow Minneapolis natives Soul Asylum and hitting the road with Guns N' Roses in October, hopes to find time in his crammed schedule to return to Haiti in the fall.
"There still might be a small window of opportunity for me to do that in September ... for the start of the new school season," he said, "to see the new building and especially to see the kids. The kids are what it's all about."

Euterpe

• Very Old At Heart
  • Voice of the Voiceless.
Re: Tommy Stinson's new CD proceeds to help Haiti kids
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
This is awesome of Tommy :rockon:

I'm definetely going to buy the album now
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Fuck you, whore.

Johan is not nuts. At least not anymore nuts than the rest of us. He is ruled by his own psychology, which includes jealousy that he cannot sing that high.

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
I will definitely buy the CD, might consider getting the vinyl later on too.  :cool:

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Monday, April 30
 Hudson, NY

Hello my peeps,

After what has been an intense and busy first quarter of 2012, I finally have time to talk about some of the highlights and lowlights thus far. I’ll start with the lowlights. I’ve been at a loss for words as to the death of my friend Armand. Not only was he my friend, but he was also a great bass tech, and he will be missed by a lot of good people. His untimely death has given me much to reflect on and to be grateful for. R.I.P.ABC.

Now for some highlights! I had a great little east coast tour last week which started with a benefit show at Club Helsinki in Hudson, NY. It was a tool drive for the graduating class at Timkatec trade schools in Haiti (timkatec.org). As you probably already know, I have been raising money for this school since the earthquake . Our goal was to raise $15,000 and we ended up raising a little over $18,000! And we’ve just received wonderful news – Herrington’s here in Hudson has offered to donate the lion’s share of the tools we need, saving us a great deal of money which will now go towards providing Timkatec students with the food they desperately need now that USAid has cut off supply to Port-au-Prince.
(Read more at:)
http://tommystinson.com/