Please login or register. May 24, 2017, 05:08:14 AM

Author Topic: Help me choose my next guitar. PLease.  (Read 5365 times)

Faxl

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
Help me choose my next guitar. PLease.
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
Whatever happens, it's gotta be something with considerable balls, or something into which I can easily stick great pickups. Leaning towards an SG, or a V for the maximum space around the neck. Maybe something in the £400-£600 range, as my three guitars (Stagg acoustic, Aria strat copy and Vintage LP copy) are all entry-level, perhaps now's the time to get something better.

Thing is...I'm afflicted with the left-handedness. This is no longer a good thing after I caught a glimpse of a teen pop singer playing an acoustic left-handed at an awards ceremony. His name? Justin Bloody Fucking Bieber.

The Spaghetti Incident?

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • All those wasted hours we used to know..
Re: Help me choose my next guitar. PLease.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:32:59 AM »
I have a problem with this as I do with people asking for help with tattoos, if you don't know what you want you'll regret it. Besides all you'll hear is 'GIBSON DERRRRRRP OH AND MARSHALL!!!!!!!!!'

But in this case cos I know Faxl is an experienced kinda dude I'll save the arrogant rant for another person.

Chaser™

• A Classic Case
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
Build your own guitar! Kits are fairly affordable nowadays.
Quote from: Broly
KAKAROT!!!

Quote from: Patrick Star
Noooo, THIS IS PATRICK!!!

Faxl

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »
Build your own guitar! Kits are fairly affordable nowadays.

But I'm layzee. I'd rather get this then pay someone else to put great pickups in it.

I have a problem with this as I do with people asking for help with tattoos, if you don't know what you want you'll regret it. Besides all you'll hear is 'GIBSON DERRRRRRP OH AND MARSHALL!!!!!!!!!'

But in this case cos I know Faxl is an experienced kinda dude I'll save the arrogant rant for another person.

Sod Gibson + Marshall, I want something nobody's heard of. I have a fair idea of what I want, the only ball-buggering bastard being that, being a lefty, I walk into my local guitar store(s) and the lefty to righty ratio is like 3:678. So I can't really just siddown and try them out to my fart's content. Ah well ~

SoulMonster

• A Classic Case
  • Happy semi-hippie. Grinning at walls.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
I have a fair idea of what I want, the only ball-buggering bastard being that, being a lefty, I walk into my local guitar store(s) and the lefty to righty ratio is like 3:678.

I might be drunk, but is it possible to use a normal guitar, just play it while standing on your head?

chezequerz

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:35:34 AM »
frankly the best guitar and amp combination i have ever played was a 1958 Gibson standard (more or less exactly the same as the gold top other than that it's 2 years younger and has a sunburst design not a gold top) played through a Marshal JCM 900.

honestly though i've been told fenders are godly guitars and that ESP are shit and for some people that's fact but i found the opposite.

It's a bit like driving a car i think no two models feel the same to drive they all have differences and some can be brutally uncomfortable or just alien to what you are used to. I used to know a guy who had a fair bit of cash and played a few mini tours around my area you know the typical 20 miles and no further deal. He played a Behringer starter strat that he swore was the most comfortable guitar ever, but i hated it so much i referred to it as "the shit stick". Go play some guitars, preferably not ones on a shop floor and see what you think.

Still i don't need to tell you dude pretty sure you've been playing longer than i have.
Apparently a new Amy Winehouse 'Greatest Hits' collection is coming out, but the tinfoil and spoons aren't included.

Euterpe

• Very Old At Heart
  • Voice of the Voiceless.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Fuck you, whore.

Johan is not nuts. At least not anymore nuts than the rest of us. He is ruled by his own psychology, which includes jealousy that he cannot sing that high.

Faxl

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
I might be drunk, but is it possible to use a normal guitar, just play it while standing on your head?

Just a bit more difficult than flipping the guitar over, but your idea sounds more fun. But yeah, my local music shop says they'll 'Hendrix' a guitar for me for about £20. Seriously tempted!

frankly the best guitar and amp combination i have ever played was a 1958 Gibson standard (more or less exactly the same as the gold top other than that it's 2 years younger and has a sunburst design not a gold top) played through a Marshal JCM 900.

makes sense, I've heard verrry good things about 58/59 LPs too.
honestly though i've been told fenders are godly guitars and that ESP are shit and for some people that's fact but i found the opposite.

It's a bit like driving a car i think no two models feel the same to drive they all have differences and some can be brutally uncomfortable or just alien to what you are used to. I used to know a guy who had a fair bit of cash and played a few mini tours around my area you know the typical 20 miles and no further deal. He played a Behringer starter strat that he swore was the most comfortable guitar ever, but i hated it so much i referred to it as "the shit stick". Go play some guitars, preferably not ones on a shop floor and see what you think.

I need to (play some), you're right. It's be great if I tried some obscure model/brand and it turned out to be amazing. Diff'rent stokes for diff'rent folks and so on.
Still i don't need to tell you dude pretty sure you've been playing longer than i have.
I actually got my first electric in 2007. I still haven't even been in a band :ninja:, can't seem to round up someone with a drum kit. And my only mate who;d be interested in playing the same kinda music with me always says "but what genre would we be?" before we've even sat down and played together, which makes me  :fpalm: inside.

Thanks Chez, always good advice.

http://www.mansons.co.uk/news/news-item/68.html

Thank me later

No, I'll do it now   :mwa Cheers! I'd love to have a go on a fretless, even upside down.

Euterpe

• Very Old At Heart
  • Voice of the Voiceless.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 01:03:56 AM »
 :mwa
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Fuck you, whore.

Johan is not nuts. At least not anymore nuts than the rest of us. He is ruled by his own psychology, which includes jealousy that he cannot sing that high.

Ice Blue

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »
I suggest a red special!
Dead, Dead, Bullet To The Head, Come On Give Me Some Connection, Get Me Over It, Over It, Dead, Dead, Wake Me Up Im Full Of Lead

For live tour and setlist updates go to - www.chinesedemocrac yforum.com

SoulMonster

• A Classic Case
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 06:21:04 AM »
You can't go wrong with a pink, heart-shaped guitar with three necks:

chezequerz

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
You can't go wrong with a pink, heart-shaped guitar with three necks:

looks like it's missing a neck to me.
Apparently a new Amy Winehouse 'Greatest Hits' collection is coming out, but the tinfoil and spoons aren't included.

pawnshop-guitars

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • Time for a gin?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »
http://www.mansons.co.uk/news/news-item/68.html

Thank me later

They are only good if Mr Manson makes you guitars with Kaoss pads in them and a little robot to bring you it out onstage :thumbsup:
I think it is high time for a bit of class around here, don't you?

SoulMonster

• A Classic Case
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »
looks like it's missing a neck to me.

Yes, you are right. There is room for one more and it would make it more symmetrical and hence more beautiful. Even more beautiful.

Crazy Child

• King Dick
  • Yesterday's got nothing for me...
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »
A strat...Really it depends on what you play... some music is more suited to Gibson, and some to Fender. Part is personal taste, guitar shape, pickups, etc. Personally, I like the old Strats, preferably before 1965, when CBS bought Fender out. A previous post also mentioned building your own. Eddie Van Halen's red striped guitar was created from parts of several guitars. Hendrix did stuff like that as well, but he was a strat man. Most guitarists modify their guitars to suit their tastes, sometimes to the point that the original guitar is obscured by all the modifications!
But I'm layzee. I'd rather get this then pay someone else to put great pickups in it.

Sod Gibson + Marshall, I want something nobody's heard of. I have a fair idea of what I want, the only ball-buggering bastard being that, being a lefty, I walk into my local guitar store(s) and the lefty to righty ratio is like 3:678. So I can't really just siddown and try them out to my fart's content. Ah well ~

So was Hendrix!!!! He played a regular Strat upside down. he strung the strings upside down so he could play it like a normal guitar...I am a lefty also and I play a regular guitar and have learned to use my left hand for the fingerboard and my right to play the strings.....Had no choice, so I made do. Works out fine for me...
Some of my favorite lyrics: 
All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players
On a good day, I know it ain't everday, we can part the seas
If ya wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise
History hides the lies of our Civil War