Please login or register. April 30, 2017, 11:35:36 PM

Author Topic: Great boxing matches/boxing  (Read 22635 times)

vecta 13

Re: Great boxing matches.
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »
ofcause ive never been a big boxing fan always in to wrestling more

Superstick

• But A Little Wouldn't Do It
  • My father is stronger than yours, so be careful!
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
I hope you mean because of that 80 quid ya won.  Tyson was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaay over the hill, washed up, and Lewis was slowly declining but too good for an old Iron Mike.  For me it was painful to watch an icon being humbled.  I still maintain that if Lewis and Tyson met when both were in their prime, Tyson would have hammered seven shades of shit out of Lewis whilst his fat mother wheezed at ringside

But of course, Tyson at his prime was an animal. I'll even go further than that. I say that Iron Mike in his prime would have beaten anyone. Including Ali.
I has no clue anymores whatz too puut heere...

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
these days though boxing is Dying a slow death due to MMA Amire Kharn cant even fill the MEN at what is prity much his home fight and the fight was pulled from PPV.

No it's not why the fight was pulled from ppv  :fpalm:

I guess you base this rationale on the fact that people like, Mayweather, Hopkins, Hatton, Calzaghe, etc, retire as multi-millionaires, and MMA fighters retire with barely a pot to piss in.

Stop making spastic statements, based on your own biased view.  :fpalm:
I hope, I do not wait.

Does somebody torture you whilst force feeding you Chinese Democracy!?

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

vecta 13

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »
No it's not why the fight was pulled from ppv  :fpalm:

I guess you base this rationale on the fact that people like, Mayweather, Hopkins, Hatton, Calzaghe, etc, retire as multi-millionaires, and MMA fighters retire with barely a pot to piss in.

Stop making spastic statements, based on your own biased view.  :fpalm:

The fight was pulled from PPV because less than 200 people paid for it, and he couldnt fill the MEN and his Sponsors ended up with hundreds of tickets to give away.

This is not a spastic statement this is cold hard fact. I know this because I work for the adidas group who own, Reebok who sponsor him.

Also PPV buys are down for boxing and wrestling since UFC has taken off.

Last year UFC managed 2 PPVs with over 1 million buys with brock on each card nobody has ever done that since tyson

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »
It was a shite fight. Fact. it's no surprise he didn't fill the MEN.

watch the furore that builds as the Haye - Klitschko fight draws near, then tell me boxing is a dying sport.

And the ppv issue was much more political than that. if you wanna offer bullshit on the issue wihout discussing 'box Office" "Primetime" and what happened with the undercard, then i'm not even gonna bother saying anymore.
I hope, I do not wait.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

vecta 13

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
his sponsors were told that it was droped because of lack of public interest.

ok see what the PPV buys are like bet the next brock fight blows it clean out the water
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:08:28 AM by vecta 13 »

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
That's because one ppv buy caters for sometimes about a hundred of us boxing fans. i.e we watch it in the pub, regardless of what time it is on.  :coffee and I'd still bet that across the spectrum, ppv figures for boxing are higher than they are for mma.

Besides, I'm not contesting mma's growth. I'd bet about 50[conservative est.] million people watched Ali v Frasier. So whilst boxing may have declined somewhat over the years, MMA is hardly a sporting goliath.

I'm contesting this statement.

these days though boxing is Dying a slow death due to MMA

General viewing figures on all T.V have levelled out since the introduction of satellite, cable, ppv etc [christ, a single episode of Eastenders used to get over twenty million views] Sporting events have been hit hard in this respect, which is why we'll never see figures like Ali-Frazier again. Boxing, has remained fairly consistent since the introduction of ppv. The new revenue record was set only a few years ago. 

The whole ppv issue was political. A lack of public interest may have played some part, but it wasn't the only issue.
Besides, not every fight should be ppv  :retard: even you should know that.
I hope, I do not wait.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

vecta 13

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2011, 11:22:07 AM »
last year only 2 boxing bouts beat mma

1. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley, May 1, 1.4 million buys

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, Nov. 13, 1,150,000 buys

3. UFC 116: Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, July 3, 1,100,000 buys

4. UFC 114: Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans, May 29, 1,050,000 buys

5. UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez, Oct. 23, 1,000,000 buys

6. UFC 124: Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck, Dec. 11, 785,000 buys

7. UFC 111: St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy, March 27, 770,000 buys

8. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey, March 13, 700,000 buys

9. UFC 107: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, Aug. 7, 600,000 buys

10. UFC 118: Frank Edgar vs. B.J. Penn/Randy Couture vs. James Toney, 535,000 buys

Also these PPV stats do not include UK buys for MMA, as MMA is not on PPV over here

And as for not every fight should be on PPV if you are still talking about the Amire Kharn then it should have done well, hes a champ defending his belt It should have done good PPV. If a champ is defending his belt it should be PPV 
   :retard:  even you should know that

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
What is your point?

They are selective stats. They do not represent jackshit with anything I'm saying. I'm not arsed about MMA, I'm saying Boxing is fine. Tool. And them stats still don't represent the overall spectrum of viewing figures and revenue.

Khan's fight should have done well, I'm not sure it was the sort of fight that was gonna generate huge public interest though. But politically, the whole event was fucked. It was managed like a shamnbles, the undercard fell apart. All points I'v raised already.  :coffee
I hope, I do not wait.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

vecta 13

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:33 AM »
thay are not selective stats you stated
I'd still bet that across the spectrum, ppv figures for boxing are higher than they are for mma.

and you can see tha this is the case in 2 fights only

and boxing only gets a look in one more time after that

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:32:10 AM by vecta 13 »

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
To be honest, I didn't even read your post properly. I thought they were a selection over several years.

I'm not arsed about mma though. Boxing is doing fine. It is not dying[which is what I've been disputing] and your figures confirm that. For just ppv figures alone, for bouts that could hardly be described as legendary clashes, they are healthy.

What's the record revenue for an mma ppv fight?

I hope, I do not wait.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

vecta 13

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
unsure on record revenue but record live gate was $12.6 million at ufc 129

you should be arsed about PPV figures, PPV generates alot of revenue for the sport and the fighters get paid better.
if you were a boxer just coming up now and you wanted to make money, you would change your training and get in a MMA gym and become more rounded a fighter. 
thats where the cash is thats where the fighters would go, thats what will in the end kill boxing
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:52:34 AM by vecta 13 »

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
Nothing will kill boxing. It's like saying football will eventually kill rugby.

Besides, who is number one and two on those figures?
I hope, I do not wait.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

vecta 13

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
thats 2 fights in one year so only 5 fighters can produce that can produce a top 10 PPV buy. There is 14 ufc fighters on that list and the under cards on ufc events are always strong mma is the future.

maby kill was a strong word, weeken is probably a better word im willing to bet next year when the ppv results come out boxing has an even worse showing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:52:50 PM by vecta 13 »

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
Bollocks. There's no evidence at all to suggest viewing figures between the two are correlated. What happens in MMA, has no bearing on boxing.

There you go again, using selective stats again. And before you ask when you were using selective stats before, I passed that off, with a dry remark. The selective stat you were using, was not the figures, but your "Only two boxers got better ppv viewing figures" attempt at creating a stat [stats can be made to argue anything, you know?] ...Failing to notice that boxing still is capable of generating more public interest than MMA.

This time your selective stat is that only 5 boxers are capable of pulling in them sort of figures. [Although I think you meant four?]
I hope, I do not wait.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH