Please login or register. April 30, 2017, 11:38:06 PM

Author Topic: Great boxing matches/boxing  (Read 22637 times)

mothergoose

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
Re: Great boxing matches.
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
Not to mention the impact that the Rocky movies have had on the sport and the people who grew up wanting to be a boxer because of them.  

Rocky reeeaaalllyyy portrayed boxing in an accurate light (only punch exchanges really :rolleyes:) and encouraged hundreds of impressionable youngsters with no potential whatsoever to get pointlessly pulverized (Hollywood doesn’t breed world champions the streets do).

mothergoose

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 08:25:33 PM »
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:01:49 PM by NewGNRnOldGNR »

antonyrose

• Bad Obsession
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »
Rocky reeeaaalllyyy portrayed boxing in an accurate light (only punch exchanges really :rolleyes:) and encouraged hundreds of impressionable youngsters with no potential whatsoever to get pointlessly pulverized (Hollywood doesn’t breed world champions the streets do).

O' yeah?  Like my buddy who was the Texas amateur light heavy weight champion for two years, and was inspired by Rocky? Not the shit streets filled with crack heads and drug dealers. 
Just because your winning don't mean your the lucky one.

Adriana Galore

• A Classic Case
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »
Or "The Rumble in the Jungle" (1974)? Anyone ever watched the documentary "When We Were Kings"? The famous match between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUSxWilW9is&feature=related

Awesome! Lots to find on YouTube.
Frock n' Roll!

mothergoose

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »
Like my buddy who was the Texas amateur light heavy weight champion for two years, and was inspired by Rocky? Not the shit streets filled with crack heads and drug dealers.  

Fair play to “your buddy” but does such examples really qualify Sly for a place in the Hall of Fame? There’s obviously going to be examples of guys who got involved through Hollywood glamorization but the reality is there isn’t a more inaccurate portrayal of boxing than Rocky (should Ian Fleming also be acknowledged for bolstering MI5’s numbers through James Bond?). Boxing inspired Rocky and world champions are inspired by hardships and empathetic mentors like Cus D’Amato.

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
I think different cultures breed different things.

Where I come from, a lot of kids join boxing clubs because there's fuck all to do on the streets.

There's seven amateur clubs that I'm aware of, in what's a medium/small sized city [population 800,000-ish] as well as a regional ABA academy [think olympics, that sort of thing.]

Either way, there's nothing negative about boxing. It's a sport that takes an incredible amount of fitness, all the training in the world can't prepare you for a tough fight, even at amateur level.

It also requires a huge amount of discipline.  :paranoid:
I hope, I do not wait.

Does somebody torture you whilst force feeding you Chinese Democracy!?

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

antonyrose

• Bad Obsession
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »
Fair play to “your buddy” but does such examples really qualify Sly for a place in the Hall of Fame? There’s obviously going to be examples of guys who got involved through Hollywood glamorization but the reality is there isn’t a more inaccurate portrayal of boxing than Rocky (should Ian Fleming also be acknowledged for bolstering MI5’s numbers through James Bond?). Boxing inspired Rocky and world champions are inspired by hardships and empathetic mentors like Cus D’Amato.

Hardships and the streets can make the person tough and maybe a champion, but positive role models are the ones that can inspire.  Rocky was a positive role model, really does any boxing movie acurately portray boxing? And yes you need positive mentors to get you to the top of the mountain, not a movie. However a movie can inspire you to take that first step.

mothergoose

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:01:22 PM by NewGNRnOldGNR »

antonyrose

• Bad Obsession
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
Rocky was a “bum” (and effectively a petty criminall) who upon getting destroyed into a bloodly pulp (to the point of brain damage) by Apollo Creed (a champion who “charitably” provided Rocky with an opportunity that would never happen in real life) suddenly became great? Rocky then stubbornly fought on (despite being medically advised not to) and engaged in various disputes (including one designed to slander the “big bad” Soviet Union). The whole concept is completely stupid which operated more for the “American Dream” than boxing (anybody legitimately inspired by Rocky was very impressionable).

He was also a man who cared about his family, and never said anything bad about anyone. Including the "big bad" Soviet Union. Not to mention it's a Hollywood movie, and it can be a insparation to some who have no hope.

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
Anthony Mundine would knock Rocky the fuck out  :smirk:
Humanary Stew

pawnshop-guitars

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • Time for a gin?
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »
Rocky was a “bum” (and effectively a petty criminall) who upon getting destroyed into a bloodly pulp (to the point of brain damage) by Apollo Creed (a champion who “charitably” provided Rocky with an opportunity that would never happen in real life) suddenly became great? Rocky then stubbornly fought on (despite being medically advised not to) and engaged in various disputes (including one designed to slander the “big bad” Soviet Union). The whole concept is completely stupid which operated more for the “American Dream” than boxing (anybody legitimately inspired by Rocky was very impressionable).

Actually, it did! Chuck Wepner was a hopeless boxer that was given a match against Ali - Ali got 1.5 mil for it, Wepner got 100k. Wepner managed to knock Ali down after Ali taunted him Apollo Creed style, but then predictably battered fuck out of the boy for the rest of the match :giggle:

And guess who was sat in the audience? Mr Sylvester Stallone...christ, Wepner even had a 'match' against a wretler, Andre the Giant, before Rocky had one with Thunderlips.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:17:36 AM by pawnshop-guitars »
I think it is high time for a bit of class around here, don't you?

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
Unfortunately, these guys are all old men-but that wont stop THE BESTEST AND GREATEST FIGHTER EVA Anthony "The Man" Mundine from challenging them!!

And if they dont fight the man, they are pusies, and not worth spit.
Humanary Stew

mothergoose

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
Actually, it did! Chuck Wepner was a hopeless boxer that was given a match against Ali - Ali got 1.5 mil for it, Wepner got 100k. Wepner managed to knock Ali down after Ali taunted him Apollo Creed style, but then predictably battered fuck out of the boy for the rest of the match :giggle:

And guess who was sat in the audience? Mr Sylvester Stallone...christ, Wepner even had a 'match' against a wretler, Andre the Giant, before Rocky had one with Thunderlips.

:shy:

vecta 13

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
best fight ive ever seen was Tyson VS Lewis i won £80 on that fight  :thumbsup:

these days though boxing is Dying a slow death due to MMA Amire Kharn cant even fill the MEN at what is prity much his home fight and the fight was pulled from PPV.

i hope more boxers try to move over to MMA its the future ive seen it

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »
best fight ive ever seen was Tyson VS Lewis i won £80 on that fight  :thumbsup:

these days though boxing is Dying a slow death due to MMA Amire Kharn cant even fill the MEN at what is prity much his home fight and the fight was pulled from PPV.

i hope more boxers try to move over to MMA its the future ive seen it

I hope you mean because of that 80 quid ya won.  Tyson was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaay over the hill, washed up, and Lewis was slowly declining but too good for an old Iron Mike.  For me it was painful to watch an icon being humbled.  I still maintain that if Lewis and Tyson met when both were in their prime, Tyson would have hammered seven shades of shit out of Lewis whilst his fat mother wheezed at ringside

W.