Please login or register. April 30, 2017, 11:33:32 PM

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 19243 times)

Catcher88

• Bad Obsession
  • All men betray. All lose heart!
Re: Hobbit titles/dates revealed
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
I'm not sure what Galadrièl will be doing in the movie  :hmpf, but the trailer looks great  :thumbsup:!

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • The Theory of Everything
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »
She was around in Middle-Earth already in the first age (see The Silmarillion). I guess we're gonna get a second plotline about the bigger things going on in Middle-Earth, with Elrond, Galadriel and Gandalf.

chezequerz

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »
Galadriel doesn't belong in the Hobbit...if it was Legolas, fair enough since he lived there at that point anyway. I don't like that they're taking liberties with the plot.
Apparently a new Amy Winehouse 'Greatest Hits' collection is coming out, but the tinfoil and spoons aren't included.

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
Galadriel doesn't belong in the Hobbit...if it was Legolas, fair enough since he lived there at that point anyway. I don't like that they're taking liberties with the plot.

She put together the White Council that decided to drive Sauron from Dol Guldur, a plot point that is going to form a major part of these films. It actually makes sense, to be fair.
Fuck Cork and all Cork related things

chezequerz

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:10 PM »
She put together the White Council that decided to drive Sauron from Dol Guldur, a plot point that is going to form a major part of these films. It actually makes sense, to be fair.

I know, i just think they're pushing it by throwing shit in there that we don't see and inventing conversations that to my knowledge Tolkein never wrote. Maybe they should rename the films "Peter Jackson's Interpretation of the Hobbit".
Apparently a new Amy Winehouse 'Greatest Hits' collection is coming out, but the tinfoil and spoons aren't included.

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
Oh ok. Then I agree. It's just a way of padding the film and "linking" it to Jackson's trilogy. Unnecessary.

Max_Power

• Very Old At Heart
  • ;)
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »
Nerds
i dunno

chezequerz

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »
It's a short book Max. Go read it, I'll wait.

Max_Power

• Very Old At Heart
  • ;)
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 04:17:02 AM »
Short like asoiaf?
i dunno

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
No, short like your penis ;)

B.I.T.C.H

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
Oh ok. Then I agree. It's just a way of padding the film and "linking" it to Jackson's trilogy. Unnecessary.

Depends how thе character is linked to the trilogy. Jackson's been Tolkiens fan for ages. I doubt if there's someone else who knows Tolkiens' work better than him. IMO whatever liberties he takes, he'll do it a way that won't contradict the book. Besides he's one who takes risks and who isn't afraid of challenges. One of the things typical of the first 3 movies was that Jackson followed the book very closely and every little detail was the way Tollkien described it. Now he obviously changed his approach. I'm personally intrigued :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:37:44 PM by B.I.T.C.H »

pawnshop-guitars

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • Time for a gin?
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »

I thought was in the Silmarillion? Or was it in the appendices of the Hobbit? I can't quite remember. Not read the Hobbit in a while; the Lord of the Rings is my main read, once a year during the summer (my god I am a sad bastard). But I know that Galadriel was never in the main plot for the Hobbit, so am intrigued to see what this will be about.
I think it is high time for a bit of class around here, don't you?

Emilia

• All Geared Up
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »
I thought was in the Silmarillion? Or was it in the appendices of the Hobbit? I can't quite remember. Not read the Hobbit in a while; the Lord of the Rings is my main read, once a year during the summer (my god I am a sad bastard). But I know that Galadriel was never in the main plot for the Hobbit, so am intrigued to see what this will be about.

I´m quite (but not completely) sure it was in Silmarillion.

Btw, if you are a sad bastard, at least you are not alone.

Nerds
And proud.
All you need is just a little patience.

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »

Nope, happened during the narrative of The Hobbit, though it's not shown in the main plot. It's why Gandalf kept wandering off for his own business throughout the story.

Depends how thе character is linked to the trilogy. Jackson's been Tolkiens fan for ages. I doubt if there's someone else who knows Tolkiens' work better than him. IMO whatever liberties he takes, he'll do it a way that won't contradict the book. Besides he's one who takes risks and who isn't afraid of challenges. One of the things typical of the first 3 movies was that Jackson followed the book very closely and every little detail was the way Tollkien described it. Now he obviously changed his approach. I'm personally intrigued :thumbsup:

Going to have to disagree with much of this; Jackson took plenty of liberties and they contradicted the spirit of the books. Turning Aragorn into typical flawed Hollywood leading man instead of the proud lord from the book, Frodo turning against Sam, the Elves being defeatist assholes... I could go on.

I adore the films, I truly do (especially Fellowship). But as adaptations, they often leave me ripping my hair out.