Please login or register. August 19, 2017, 11:20:07 PM

Author Topic: Metallica: We Have 'Over 700 New Riffs' To Choose From For Next Album  (Read 8358 times)

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • The Theory of Everything
Maiden got fairly good reviews on their albums with Bruce back on board.

Obvious Troll Obvious

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • Munt cuntles.
Maiden got fairly good reviews on their albums with Bruce back on board.

They did but that doesn't mean the albums were good. They aren't.
Is Trixi still alive?

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
Do you like anything released after 1989?

Menelaos

• A Classic Case
The whole Metallica conversation made me listen to the Load album again and I've got to admit it's pretty tight. :thumbsup:

No, many bands who are already running for a long time still get great reviews, great fan reception + good sales after all the years. For example Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Ayreon, Nevermore. All bands/artists who have been releasing albums since the early or mid nineties.

I agree with your point of view, but these bands are nowhere near as famous and legendary as Metallica are. As a result, it might be a wrong comparison. Metallica have released albums like Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, the Black album, Load, even the Reload one, etc. There's real magic in these albums; real masterpieces that shall never be forgotten. You can't top what's already as close to perfection as it gets. Opeth is a very good band, I've seen them live too, same goes for the rest of the bands you've mentioned. However, they're nowhere near as good as Metallica used to be. That's my point.

Obvious Troll Obvious

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • Munt cuntles.
Do you like anything released after 1989?

Yes.

As far as metal goes, Triptykon's album is the best metal album of the last 10 years.
Watain continue to release fresh albums.
Ulver cannot be touched.
Burzum made 2 great comeback albums.
1349 still make good albums.

I have to admit that at this point, metal is the least listened to genre for me. I can't take it seriously. I loathe most metal fans who constantly use terms like "technical skill", "atmosphere", "clean vocals", "brutal". I find it highly amusing that metal fans think that METULZ is the most complicated form of music invented EVA! The lyrical subject matter is amusing as well, across all the sub-genres of metal.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:08:29 PM by Nature Boy »
Is Trixi still alive?

Bluelion

• Old At Heart
  • Oh, I paid the price...
I think metallica get a bit of a rough deal nowadays. When you look at their track record they've released three amazing albums that stand right at the top of the genre and most other bands will never reach the hights of (RTL, MOP, AJFA), three very good albums, two of which are very significant to the genre (Kill 'Em All, Black album, Death Magnetic), and three underwhelming/poor albums that perhaps got more negative press than they were due simply because of the high quality of the previous albums.

I think there was a similar mindset of some fans to death magnetic as there was to chin dem, people had decided before they even heard it that they weren't going to like it, and there's not much you can do when that happens. I personally felt it was a strong return to form that needed some fine tuning but was overall very enjoyable.
An empty shell seems so easy to crack.
Got all these questions.
Don't know who I could even ask.
So I'll just lie alone and wait for the dream.
Where I'm not ugly and you're looking at me.

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
At least Chinese Democracy isnt just tweaked bits off of the old songs pastiched together.
Humanary Stew

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
Yes.

As far as metal goes, Triptykon's album is the best metal album of the last 10 years.
Watain continue to release fresh albums.
Ulver cannot be touched.
Burzum made 2 great comeback albums.
1349 still make good albums.

I have to admit that at this point, metal is the least listened to genre for me. I can't take it seriously. I loathe most metal fans who constantly use terms like "technical skill", "atmosphere", "clean vocals", "brutal". I find it highly amusing that metal fans think that METULZ is the most complicated form of music invented EVA! The lyrical subject matter is amusing as well, across all the sub-genres of metal.

So you just listen to Black Metal nowadays. That has to be THE metal subgenre which fits that most amusing image you refer to.  :lol:

I know that many different music genres are highly technical and complicated, like Jazz and Classical stuff. Also lots of metal is just simple power chords with lame lyrics. Still you can't deny the fact that some Metal musicians are extremely skilled (f.i. Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Steven Wilson, Mikael Akerfeldt, Arjen Lucassen, Mike Portnoy, Russell Allen, Daniel Gildenlow, Steve DiGiorgio, Jorn Lande, Dave Lombardo,  Tobias Sammett). Be it in playing guitar, drums, bass, singing, song writing or more than 1 of these.   

Chaser™

• A Classic Case
So you just listen to Black Metal nowadays. That has to be THE metal subgenre which fits that most amusing image you refer to.  :lol:

I know that many different music genres are highly technical and complicated, like Jazz and Classical stuff. Also lots of metal is just simple power chords with lame lyrics. Still you can't deny the fact that some Metal musicians are extremely skilled (f.i. Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Steven Wilson, Mikael Akerfeldt, Arjen Lucassen, Mike Portnoy, Russell Allen, Daniel Gildenlow, Steve DiGiorgio, Jorn Lande, Dave Lombardo,  Tobias Sammett). Be it in playing guitar, drums, bass, singing, song writing or more than 1 of these.   

Costume wise most of the corpse paint and spike black metal bands are absolutely laughable. Many of them come off as unemployed hell clowns.

But on a lyrical level...black metal seems to be progressing towards more philosophy, society statement oriented lyrics. It's funny because while black metal is moving away from the fairly boneheaded b-level horror lyrical subjects it started with, thrash is moving from philosophy/society statement lyrics in favor of boneheaded b-level horror flick lyrics.

And you left Yngwie Malmsteen off the list of super talented guys  :ninja:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:53:52 PM by Chaser™ »
Quote from: Broly
KAKAROT!!!

Quote from: Patrick Star
Noooo, THIS IS PATRICK!!!

Chaser™

• A Classic Case
I suppose though...regardless

Metallica will release a new album.
Five million people will buy it and hail it as the greatest album ever recorded.
Five million other people will not buy it but instantly call it drivel.
Quote from: Broly
KAKAROT!!!

Quote from: Patrick Star
Noooo, THIS IS PATRICK!!!

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
And you left Yngwie Malmsteen off the list of super talented guys  :ninja:

That's because his extremely talented neo-classical riffs annoy me.  :lol:

Obvious Troll Obvious

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • Munt cuntles.

No sir. As I said, metal is the very least of what I listen to, if at all. If I do happen to be in the mood, then yes, black metal it is for me, for the most part.

This is unintentionally intentionally ambiguous.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:12:49 AM by Nature Boy »
Is Trixi still alive?

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
I meant that if you do listen metal, then it's black metal.

Or Super black metal, or vegetarian Grindcore or Lounge! (Furtv  :thumbsup:)

Obvious Troll Obvious

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • Munt cuntles.
I meant that if you do listen metal, then it's black metal.

Or Super black metal, or vegetarian Grindcore or Lounge! (Furtv  :thumbsup:)

You would be correct. Although I do like to listen to some old school thrash now and again.
Is Trixi still alive?

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
That's because his extremely talented neo-classical riffs annoy me.  :lol:

I cant stand Yngwie, Vai, Satriani or Lynch.
Humanary Stew