Please login or register. June 26, 2017, 07:55:23 AM

Author Topic: Met the whole band in 1992!!  (Read 6428 times)

Superstick

• But A Little Wouldn't Do It
  • My father is stronger than yours, so be careful!
Met the whole band in 1992!!
« on: December 17, 2010, 11:09:30 AM »
Well, I was really lucky to have this oppertunity! My best friend in primary school had a father (obviously). This father was the vice-chairman of Warner Bros. Holland, where GnR was signed. So he managed to get us tickets and as a 12-year-old boy I went to the concert. Afterwards (what we didn't know at first) he showed us backstage-tickets! So we went backstage and met the band! Well, actually we just quickly shook some hands and that was it. Slash was the only one who said something ('nice shirt kid'). -> I was wearing the same Pepe Le Pew shirt as Slash!
And I remember being a bit sad, because at 12 years I was just as tall as my big hero Axl...
Shame we did not bring a camera (it was before the digital-era). But I will remember these two minutes for ever!
O, it was on the 23rd of June 1992, in Stadium De Kuip in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:14:32 PM by Superstick »
I has no clue anymores whatz too puut heere...

Xtina

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • So never mind the darkness we still can find a way
Re: Met the whole band in 1992!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »
lucky you  :thumbsup: so how tall Axl is, 5'7" , 5'8" ??

Johan!

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • The Theory of Everything
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »
We have a new Dutchman around? 

Superstick

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »
Yes, I am a Dutchman :-)
OK, I have to calculate, since we have the metric system over here...
When I was twelve, I must have been like.. 5.6 / 5.7. And he was about the same,
for as far I could see.... OK, we are in average the tallest people in the world (I say it's the milk!).
But it was very strange to see your idol as a kid, and him not being taller (not a lot at least) than yourself.
I inmagined him to be 9 foot 3 ofcourse!  :laugh2:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:36:12 PM by Superstick »

Adriana Galore

• A Classic Case
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
Hallo! Do you remember the "oh, je bent een hondenlul" singing too?  :paranoid:  :D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:40:12 PM by Adriana Galore »
Frock n' Roll!

Superstick

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
Wow. I have never thought about that since I was there, but vagely I remember something like this... But you're going to have to help me, because I cannot exactly remember what happened!
Edit: A, because Axl (as usual) was late, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:47:06 PM by Superstick »

HeidiRose

• Realtime Visionary
  • Time made me realize, why should I be victimized?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »
You are such a lucky guy  :thumbsup: :)
Guns N' Roses @ Helsinki live festival 5th June 2010, Finland - I WAS THERE

This fire is burnin'
And it's out of control
It's not a problem you can stop
It's rock n' roll

Adriana Galore

• A Classic Case
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
Wow. I have never thought about that since I was there, but vagely I remember something like this... But you're going to have to help me, because I cannot exactly remember what happened!
Edit: A, because Axl (as usual) was late, wasn't it?

Ja, lol I forgot about that too until I read this in a review by a guy from my hometown about the Gelredome gig. I complaint to my friends that it was complete false! But they remind me I sang very loud along and was pissed as hell.  :paranoid: The band was indeed too late. And Axl's reputation was yet famous at the time .....later on it became clear that there were troubles with the electricity. Fault of the energy company. But we didn't knew that and those fans back then were not willingly to wait at all and got pissed off as hell. At last everything was okay. Axl began immediately to rant that they would go on no matter what. Police threatened to pull to plug out, Axl rant on and we got also pissed. But since it was not the band faults and I think the police was scared for riots (there were like 90.000 people I believe) they could get on until 1.00 or 1.30. Luckily we were with a van so we could get back home. Lots of unlucky people were not.......

I've been teased I forgot the "hondenlul singing". I was such a huge fan back then as people here are now I forgave and forgot immediately the waiting apparently when they got on stage at last. But I refused to go to see them a year later (1993) in the Goffertpark. Been also to Paradiso the first time in 1987 and nothing, nothing can beat that!! I had hardly heard a thing about them and someone -I'm still thankful- took me with him convinced I would like them. Like them? Man, I fell in love after the first notes and what I saw on stage..... :)
Frock n' Roll!

Superstick

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
How cool that you saw the original Guns n' Roses!!! I was six or seven years old at the time, so it was to early for me. But very, very cool!!! I think it is cooler to see bands when they are not really famous yet, so I envy you a bit!
When Adler got replaced by Sorum, for me it was still GnR. I think Sorum is a better drummer anyway. When Stradlin got replaced by Clarke, it was already harder for me to take. Clarke is a great guitar-player, this is not the problem. However, Stradlin was a very important song-writer. Maybe even more important than Axl! So to get rid of him, was the beginning of the end for the band. The tour was great, but new material was a problem. Spaghetti Incident was not that good, and of course they were all covers. But yesterday I have listened to Chinese Democracy again. Some songs are ok, but for me none of them are GnR. One song even had like a pop-drumbeat, what the hell??So I am still one of the biggest fans of GnR. Why? Because GnR doesn't exist any more. Cool that Axl is still doing his thing, and I enjoy watching that because of the memories, and because he is still quite good of course. However, it is not Guns n' Roses. I do not understand why he would even still want to name the band GnR. Without Slash, Duff, Stradlin and Sorum, it really isn't. So I appreciate all the people who like the music of this band, because it is not bad. However, it is not Guns n' Roses either. It's is the Axl-band.

The Spaghetti Incident?

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • All those wasted hours we used to know..
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Very cool story, weird comments about the height thing but still very cool. :thumbsup:

Now it's time for the arsehole in me to rear his head. Don't take this as an insult, I'm just in a mood. Here goes:

If you'd like to build a time machine and go back in time to suck any potential for experimentation out of the band I'm sure they'd oblige in writing a dozen more or so Appetite For Destructions and be doomed to club gigs by now, everyone could keep their mullets and the rock would never die. :fpalm:

Being prejudice against change is just silly. If you don't enjoy the music that's ok that's one thing, but to complain that it incorporates a different a facet of a genre that you aren't willing to accept is just silly.

Superstick

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »
No, don't misunderstand me! Of course you have to take time in consideration, and bands evolve and things change. I am all for that! This is not a problem for me. It's just that I think, when I listen to some songs, it is not a rockband anymore. I remember listening to My World on UYI2 the first time, and thought 'what the hell..?'. This is also experimenting, and that's fine! For me, they just changed a bit too much. And if that is what they (Axl) want, who am I to judge? But then don't keep naming the band GnR, because it simply isn't. That's my only point!
Other than that, I am happy that Axl is doing his thing again, and that younger people will know who he is. But I honestly think that at least 90% of the people who have really seen the original GnR in that time (so let's say about 30 years and older), will agree with me. And that is not arrogance or ignorance!

The Spaghetti Incident?

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • All those wasted hours we used to know..
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 01:21:57 PM »
Fair point - you give a pretty level headed, well rounded response, I like that. :D

Good thing you've got the back catalogue to look back on man, seems that especially across this tour G&R is gaining a lot of steam both positively amongst fans and critics but also live - it's win win in that situation, but it also makes a reunion seem even further away - if ever. Would you still like to see them live in their current form?

But who knows dude.. Axl might decide to go forward with a straight up rock album that's a true homage to what the band was, show the world he can still rock. A song with Izzy or Duff? Shit that'd be bloody alright. :thumbsup:

(A second apology for coming off rude, just one of those nights)

Superstick

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 01:36:42 PM »
Don't worry man! I like discussing things with people, that's why I joined the forum! And as long as we don't start
calling each other names, then all is fine, isn't it? So well done to to you as well, sir!
I was in doubt if I will visit the next concert. I remember having tickets for the tour in 99 or 2000 or something, but it got cancelled.
I don't think the original band (or at least Slash, Matt and Duff) will ever rejoin. Never say never of course, but I think the chances are very, very small. And yes, I hope Axl will choose a more straight up rock album. And I hope it won't take him as long as Chinese Democracy!

Adriana Galore

• A Classic Case
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »
No, don't misunderstand me! Of course you have to take time in consideration, and bands evolve and things change. I am all for that! This is not a problem for me. It's just that I think, when I listen to some songs, it is not a rockband anymore. I remember listening to My World on UYI2 the first time, and thought 'what the hell..?'. This is also experimenting, and that's fine! For me, they just changed a bit too much. And if that is what they (Axl) want, who am I to judge? But then don't keep naming the band GnR, because it simply isn't. That's my only point!
Other than that, I am happy that Axl is doing his thing again, and that younger people will know who he is. But I honestly think that at least 90% of the people who have really seen the original GnR in that time (so let's say about 30 years and older), will agree with me. And that is not arrogance or ignorance!

Nah, somewhat older for the originals methinks.  :D But for the rest:  :thumbsup:
Frock n' Roll!

Superstick

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
Hmm, I guess you are right.... To really become a fan, you must be at least 12? I was 7 years old when Appetite got released, a bit too young to understand it. I liked Paradise City already! But I didn't really get it of course... So probably 35 and older! Maybe even a bit more... So jealous that this woman saw them back in 87 in Paradiso!  :slywink: