Please login or register. March 24, 2017, 06:47:01 PM

Author Topic: Guns N' Roses Named Worst Comeback Album!!!  (Read 13676 times)

WTTJ

• But A Little Wouldn't Do It
  • Welcome To The Fuckin' Jungle
    • My Facebook
Guns N' Roses Named Worst Comeback Album!!!
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »
http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=47363

Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Milli Vanilli Top Our Five Worst Comeback Albums
6/21/2010 By Keith Carman

There are bad albums, and then there those so monumentally crappy, they've redefined the terms by which we consider something terrible. Generally speaking, they tend to fall under one of three categories: the follow-up to an inconceivably glorious effort that shook the world, the final nail in the coffin after a series of bombs and “returns to form,” and something that was hyped up so much for so long that the actual album could never possibly match expectation.

So, while there are endless amounts of utter tripe clogging up the airwaves, used bins and storage units known collectively as “major labels,” here are five of our selections for some of the worst “comeback” albums of the past quarter century. Sure, some weren't slaughtered at first, but with time, the sheen falls off and we're left with... you get the idea.

So without further ado, here are Exclaim!’s Five Worst Comeback Albums:

5. The Spice Girls

Forever (2000)

Not only did these girls — the epitome of sensationalized, pre-packaged crap — overstay their welcome the first time around, but they actually had the gall to think that anyone even cared after the fact. Apparently, despite having a questionable four brains — Geri “Ginger Spice” Halliwell being the only one keen enough to opt out of the debacle — amongst them, nobody taught the girls the meaning of the word “disposable,” which they clearly were. As for the album itself, it didn't sell. Proponents claim it was due to lack of label support but it was the fucking Spice Girls. Who didn't know they were getting back together? Either way, it was predictable, bland and dated pop/R&B. Still, the quintet made enough of a dent that if they sweep Forever under the carpet, they can pack 'em in on the nostalgia trip.

4. Metallica
St. Anger (2003)

To paraphrase a great movie, St. Anger deserves a two word review: “shit sandwich.” Many should recall that after years of country songs, glorified pop music set to distortion and other overtly non-metal tendencies from the “biggest metal band in the world,” St. Anger was lauded as Metallica's back-to-metal album. The question was: metal by who's definition? Apparently not that of the general populace. Really, it was an “album” pieced together by ProTools, meaning that not only did the band never actually write or play one of the songs, they had to go back and learn them after the fact. Add in the sad state of affairs they faced internally (released as documentary Some Kind Of Monster) and we see how this collection of bad riffs and lack of execution isn't just Metallica's albatross — it's the world's. People say that at least they admitted it was a piece of shit after the fact. As if they had a choice.

3. Guns N' Roses
Chinese Democracy (2008)

You knew this one was coming but it's still not the best of the worst. Hype can be a good thing, but when it goes too far, the only thing to suffer is the music itself. Witness how before its release, this album was highly anticipated. Now that it's out, well, more press was given to speculation than the dated piece of crap it actually is for good reason. Years into its “tentative” release date, people grew weary that it even existed. That was, until Rose released a song. Not a good one but it left people wondering: maybe this taste wasn't so sweet but could the other stuff live up to the band's past brilliance? Well, now that we have the answer: nope.

2. Vanilla Ice
Mind Blowin' (1994)

Does anyone recall this stellar piece of shit? We thought not. At least the other albums on this list still have clout but Mind Blowin' disappeared faster a box of Smarties at a fat kid convention. Basically, within the few short years between his 1990 debut To The Extreme and this joint, Robert Van Winkle got called out for being the bullshitting white boy he really was, thereby destroying his credibility. The answer? He tried to be a rap-metaller just like all other other bullshitting white boys. A jewel in the crown of crappy comeback albums, we don't even think Ice himself actually believed this would work.

1. Milli Vanilli
The Moment of Truth (1991)

The album released after the fallout of their secret revealed: Rob and Fab were bullshitters in their own right, lip-synching to someone else's voice. What's hilarious is that these guys couldn't sing to begin with and were hired 'cause they looked good. What on god's green earth made them think that after being outed, anyone even A) gave a rat's ass about what their real voices sounded like or B) supported them? Those who did hear the record instantly realized why they needed someone behind the curtain, though. They sucked harder than a whore with Teflon lips. As a side note, why hasn't anyone acknowledged that because this counterfeit album actually won a Grammy Award, it proves how that system of recognition is just as bogus, bloated and pointless as the recording it celebrated?

kkut

• Bedouin
Re: Guns N' Roses Named Worst Comeback Album!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »
care

chezequerz

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:41 PM »
I agree with everything he said (because i'm a realistic person who has his eyes open), that said i don't think it deserves to be here. It wasn't that CD was shit it was simply not AS GOOD as the hype dictated. If it was a surprise album it would have been liked a lot more (but probably never loved) and forgotten about in a few years time.
Apparently a new Amy Winehouse 'Greatest Hits' collection is coming out, but the tinfoil and spoons aren't included.

cremation.ground

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • I'm like a junkie without an addiction
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
3. Guns N' Roses
Chinese Democracy (2008)

You knew this one was coming but it's still not the best of the worst. Hype can be a good thing, but when it goes too far, the only thing to suffer is the music itself. Witness how before its release, this album was highly anticipated. Now that it's out, well, more press was given to speculation than the dated piece of crap it actually is for good reason. Years into its “tentative” release date, people grew weary that it even existed. That was, until Rose released a song. Not a good one but it left people wondering: maybe this taste wasn't so sweet but could the other stuff live up to the band's past brilliance? Well, now that we have the answer: nope.

Hype wasnt created by the band. So its not their fault. 14 years in the making coz it had no permanent band members to finish it.

I listen to a lot of music and CD has atleast 9 songs that can be termed as brilliant amongst the piece of crap we've been passing as rock n roll at present.

The only fault is that the release dates quoted by axl, the band and the management. Other than that it wasnt the worst comeback at all.

Infact, it cannot be called a comeback album coz except axl no original gnr member ''came back''.
"I'm grateful that I have two middle fingers, I only wish I had more" - Marilyn Manson

Dr. Jack Daniels

• All Geared Up
  • Psychiatrist with a ph.D in Awesome
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »
Hype wasnt created by the band. So its not their fault. 14 years in the making coz it had no permanent band members to finish it.

I listen to a lot of music and CD has atleast 9 songs that can be termed as brilliant amongst the piece of crap we've been passing as rock n roll at present.

The only fault is that the release dates quoted by axl, the band and the management. Other than that it wasnt the worst comeback at all.

Infact, it cannot be called a comeback album coz except axl no original gnr member ''came back''.

:thumbsup:
This is simply a revenge mission by the US on Libya.  This will teach them a lesson for attacking Doc Emmett Brown in Back to the Future....... Damn Libyans

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
Who gives a fuck? You either like it or you don't.
I don't listen to 'hype'(note my reg, after official release of C.D) so it has never affected my judgment.
I hope, I do not wait.

Does somebody torture you whilst force feeding you Chinese Democracy!?

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

perfect_spy

• Bad Obsession
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:28:25 AM »
These things are not important, in five years time it will probably top some poll saying its the best comeback album of all time. Zzzzzzz
Wembley '91, Paris '92, o2 Arena '10

seely

• Old At Heart
  • Sad fools.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
Who gives a fuck what some unheard of website thinks  :coffee
Reading Festival 27.08.2010
Leeds Festival 29.08.2010
Nottingham Captial FM Arena 19.05.2012
Birmingham LG Arena 26.05.2012

DJ Axl

• I Said I'd Fight back, I never said I'd fight fair
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »
I agree with everything he said (because i'm a realistic person who has his eyes open), that said i don't think it deserves to be here. It wasn't that CD was shit it was simply not AS GOOD as the hype dictated. If it was a surprise album it would have been liked a lot more (but probably never loved) and forgotten about in a few years time.

THANK YOU
Someone else with a brain :smirk:
Im pretty sure WTTJ wears a safety helmet when hes on the internets. :nod:

better2112

• All Geared Up
  • Heeeellllooooooooo!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:38:53 AM »
All I care about is I REALLY LIKE CD!!!!
.......... poutine .......... I'M AWESOME .......... poutine .......... 

--FUCK the U.F.I!--

Euterpe

• Very Old At Heart
  • Voice of the Voiceless.
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 03:01:17 AM »
Who cares what they say? Nobody will ever be right on a review or some shit like this. Either it sucks or it doesn't. Were the ones who decide, not some dumbass blogger looking for attention (Perez Hilton) :nod:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Fuck you, whore.

Johan is not nuts. At least not anymore nuts than the rest of us. He is ruled by his own psychology, which includes jealousy that he cannot sing that high.

Coma16

• Tongue Like A Razor
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 06:22:46 PM »
All I care about is I REALLY LIKE CD!!!!
+1

Along with UYI1, CD gets the most spins from my GnR catalog. AFD is extremely cherished but I hardly play it anymore...
"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke"

The Spaghetti Incident?

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • All those wasted hours we used to know..
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »

Turns out nobody else on this website is realistic and are blind to the propaganda Axl and co. are forcing down our throats! Let's form a militia!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:04:07 AM by The Spaghetti Incident? »

enns

• In Another Woman's Bed
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 03:43:46 AM »
chinese is a great album......enough said.

DJ Axl

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 04:16:00 AM »
chinese is a great album......enough said.

In all seriousness, the hype generated made people believe it was being made by the super best friends+ zeus

chainsmoker

• Used To Do A Little
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 06:17:20 AM »
CD definitely does not deserve to be on that list  :disgust:

St Anger does though.

Emilia

• All Geared Up
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
Well, CD does not deserve to be on that list, but who the fuck cares?!  :lol:
All you need is just a little patience.

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »

St Anger does though.

Chinese Democracy (putting aside my bias) is actually a strong record-a lot of bands will never write or record even one song as good as any on that album in their whole careers and still be massively successful.

Even though it took forever to come out, I still prefer that to GNR releasing a steaming pile of shit like St Anger, or if truth be told just rehashing bits of all their old records like Metallica did with Death Magnetic-at least Axl didnt just cave in and release a lump of dog turd (although even from 99 demos the CD songs were never that)

As I always say,the leaks were better than the finals in most cases-but still the album that you can buy is in no way a piece of crap.
Humanary Stew

Kusksu

• It Was A Long Time With Me
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
Not surprised to see it here. The problem with CD is that it will never an honest review. Some people will hate simply for how the band how ended up. Others will criticize it for the delays. The Die hard axl fans also praise it to no end, just because its Axl.
The album is solid, good songs and consistent. But its not the best album ever, hell i would say its the third best Guns N' Roses album (After AFD and UYI II).
CD will get mostly two types of reviews, reviews saying its the best album in the last 15 years, and reviews saying its a pile of shit. To be honest i dont see that changing with Guns n' roses
'I was in heaven
I was in hell
Believe in neither
But fear them as well!'

Modest Mouse - Doin The Cockroach

rds.06

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • "I'm Melting"
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »

St Anger does though.

I agree.

CD is a good record, nothing special but its good, outstanding in parts i.e Better, TWAT, Sorry but poor in other areas, Scraped, Riad, SOD etc.

St Anger on the hands deserves to be on the list.
clean your ears...Nickelback's guitar work is awesome.

DJ Axl

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »

Chinese Democracy (putting aside my bias) is actually a strong record-a lot of bands will never write or record even one song as good as any on that album in their whole careers and still be massively successful.

Even though it took forever to come out, I still prefer that to GNR releasing a steaming pile of shit like St Anger, or if truth be told just rehashing bits of all their old records like Metallica did with Death Magnetic-at least Axl didnt just cave in and release a lump of dog turd (although even from 99 demos the CD songs were never that)

As I always say,the leaks were better than the finals in most cases-but still the album that you can buy is in no way a piece of crap.

I agree.
All if not most reviews I have read have not really criticized the songs, but they always mention money, time and no slash :'(.  Seriously, they should just go back to giving 5/5 to Jason derimjob.  CD is a good album.  It takes a bit of time to develop a good taste but its incredible.  It is evident that Axl worked his ass of to make this perfect and he did very well.  In terms of the rehashing, this was original.  There is no way one can say it was rehashed as that would be the same as saying a nickelback album has "a fresh, new sound", something in which the same person who reviewed CD said  :fpalm:.  It is not a bad album and definitely not one of the worst.  If they're actually serious, why is there no Backstreet boys?  Oh yea, I forgot, theyre all sticking their cauliflower in their asses and Kesha's blue waffle.

Overall, it in no way should be on this list.

cwiebe888

• In Another Woman's Bed
    • Axl Rose The GREATEST Singer On Earth!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »
in my opinion its one of their best, and thats all it is, is someones opinion you cant have the best album in the world, or the best guitarist or singer(Axl Rose just my opinion) so who cares what some stupid article says   
My hands are tied
The billions shift from side to side
And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside
By bloody hands time can't deny
And are washed away by your genocide

Shacklers Revenge

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Chinese Democracy was awesome. However, with Axl being the only original member standing, a fairly different music style, and 12 years of hype surrounding it...absolutely nothing could have pleased the masses. And it certainly didn't please a good chunk of rock fans.

We think we've come so far
On all our lies we depend
Facing our consequence
This is the beginning of the end

Euterpe

• Very Old At Heart
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 02:33:20 AM »

I agree.
All if not most reviews I have read have not really criticized the songs, but they always mention money, time and no slash :'(.  Seriously, they should just go back to giving 5/5 to Jason derimjob.  CD is a good album.  It takes a bit of time to develop a good taste but its incredible.  It is evident that Axl worked his ass of to make this perfect and he did very well.  In terms of the rehashing, this was original.  There is no way one can say it was rehashed as that would be the same as saying a nickelback album has "a fresh, new sound", something in which the same person who reviewed CD said  :fpalm:.  It is not a bad album and definitely not one of the worst.  If they're actually serious, why is there no Backstreet boys?  Oh yea, I forgot, theyre all sticking their cauliflower in their asses and Kesha's blue waffle.

Overall, it in no way should be on this list.

Chinese Democracy was awesome. However, with Axl being the only original member standing, a fairly different music style, and 12 years of hype surrounding it...absolutely nothing could have pleased the masses. And it certainly didn't please a good chunk of rock fans.

I agree with all of this :thumbsup:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Fuck you, whore.

Johan is not nuts. At least not anymore nuts than the rest of us. He is ruled by his own psychology, which includes jealousy that he cannot sing that high.

The Spaghetti Incident?

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »

Thank you. :thumbsup:

It felt like you truly mean what you wrote there, putting aside your feelings towards the behavior of the band (Axl).

I don't want to compare it with the old albums, but CD did give us some of the best songs G&R have ever recorded (IMO) but also some fairly blase music that isn't worth praising but could still manage to sit on the same level as say Think About You or Perfect Crime (IMO).

pawnshop-guitars

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • Time for a gin?
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »
I listened to Chi Dem in the car yesterday, and fucking loved it. It does have points I'm not so keen on, but all the songs there are strong, and some are epic. TWAT still gives me goosebumps for God's sake. I might have ripped on the band, but shit, they can't half write some cool shit. I love how it's different, not only to old Guns, but to everything else out there too. Bucket's weirdness combined with Finck's more normal guitar parts with the extra awesome provided by Pitman really makes it a great album. One of my favourites actually, now I think of it.

And so I say I disagree with this man. It's just a shame I don't get paid to write my opinion on the interwebs and have other people read it.
I think it is high time for a bit of class around here, don't you?

Euterpe

• Very Old At Heart
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 03:38:35 AM »
I listened to Chi Dem in the car yesterday, and fucking loved it. It does have points I'm not so keen on, but all the songs there are strong, and some are epic. TWAT still gives me goosebumps for God's sake. I might have ripped on the band, but shit, they can't half write some cool shit. I love how it's different, not only to old Guns, but to everything else out there too. Bucket's weirdness combined with Finck's more normal guitar parts with the extra awesome provided by Pitman really makes it a great album. One of my favourites actually, now I think of it.

And so I say I disagree with this man. It's just a shame I don't get paid to write my opinion on the interwebs and have other people read it.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Fuck you, whore.

smoothie illusion

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »
it isnt the worst its just the least good

well said

IrishConnor94

• Bedouin
    • The Rock N' Metal Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »
I can see why Chinese Democracy would be on there, since the general opinion of it is low, but I liked that record, still do \m/
Connor Rae from The Rock N' Metal Blog http://www.therocknmetalblog.blogspot.ca/

MrB

• Fit Ta Burn
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 03:07:27 AM »
most of it is terrible evident by Axl refusing to play it.

Better
Street of Dreams
Catcher in the Rye
If The World
Sorry
Riad
Scraped
This I love
Prostitute
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:51:57 PM by MrB »

Catcher88

• Bad Obsession
  • All men betray. All lose heart!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
most of it is terrible evident by Axl refusing to play it.

Better
Street of Dreams
Catcher in the Rye
If The World
Sorry
Scraped
This I love
Prostitute

I can't agree or disagree with this because I have not the slightest idea of what you are saying.

MrB

• Fit Ta Burn
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 04:53:45 PM »
I can't agree or disagree with this because I have not the slightest idea of what you are saying.

Basically, I'm agreeing it was a terrible album and listed all the songs that I don't like (I've since added Riad to the original post). Then I said that the proof it was terrible was Axl refusing to play 95% of the songs from the album when they are playing concerts.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:54:22 PM by MrB »

Catcher88

• Bad Obsession
  • All men betray. All lose heart!
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »
Basically, I'm agreeing it was a terrible album and listed all the songs that I don't like (I've since added Riad to the original post). Then I said that the proof it was terrible was Axl refusing to play 95% of the songs from the album when they are playing concerts.

They always play at least CD, TIL and at least one other, mostly several others. That's a way bit more than 5% of the album. And The Spaghetti Incident and GNR Lies get way less attention, except at the acoustic gigs. Is that last a proof that GNR Lies sucks? I don't think so.

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
I doubt the reason a lot of it isn't played live is because the songs don't go down well or aren't any good, more the fact that most of those songs are so layered with vocals and high notes that they would be very hard to do justice to live.

One of the drawbacks of the whole studio masterpiece/adding all the bells and whistles and tweaking everything...
Humanary Stew

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »
I doubt the reason a lot of it isn't played live is because the songs don't go down well or aren't any good, more the fact that most of those songs are so layered with vocals and high notes that they would be very hard to do justice to live.

One of the drawbacks of the whole studio masterpiece/adding all the bells and whistles and tweaking everything...

This :thumbsup:
W.

bigrob80305

• A Stranger We Met
  • Future GNR Guitar Player
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »
Chinese Democracy was a masterpiece, if you don't like oh well go listen to your Drake or Justin Bieber cd!

The Spaghetti Incident?

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 06:39:34 AM »
No it wasn't, and Drake's latest single is good :thumbsup:

russkwtx

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • I don't really care
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 04:04:33 AM »
All the waiting and bullshit that went on during the release has nothing to do with the quality of the music once it was released. I personally do not agree that CD is a "worst" comeback album for two reasons. For one, it is not a bad album at all, there are many excellent songs. Second, it is not a "comeback" in the technical sense because all the members are different except one.
GNR: 7 times, VR: 4 times, Slash solo: 2 times, all the other bands I've seen don't matter.

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »
Hardly the worst
W.

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »
the best?  ;)

:~

Axl-is-my-idol

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • Official GNR pothead since '07
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2016, 12:04:49 AM »
I recently saw Chinese Democracy on Wikipedia's list of albums considered the worst ever. As part of the evidence, they cited a review from some obscure music magazine that nobody's ever heard of done long after the fact. What a joke! Do Wikipedia editors not realize that it was reviewed in a positive-to-mixed way by real music magazines when it came out?