Please login or register. April 25, 2017, 11:27:21 PM

Author Topic: New GNR book club  (Read 33465 times)

Faxl

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
Re: New GNR book club
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
Frankie Boyle - Work! Consume! Die!

Excellent, can't wait to see him in September. Wouldn't even mind if he just read out the book, it reads like a long thought process/stand-up routine.

Emilia

• All Geared Up
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »
Finished A Storm of Swords this week. Absolutely amazing, especially part 2. By far the best of the series and one of the best books i've ever read.

Started A Feast for Crows also, read the prologue and the first chapter. Not bad start although there seems to be a lot of new characters in this book.

I´m soon to finish A Storm of Swords part 1. Something like 30 pages left.
All you need is just a little patience.

The Second Coming

• Old At Heart
  • Renowned Cam Whore of newGnR
    • Facebook
« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2012, 12:51:08 AM »
Just finished A Feast for Crows on Tuesday. I have a few things to say about it. Firstly I'd start by saying yes, it didn't quite live up to the standard of a Storm of Swords (but really not much else could) but I did find it very good. Yes, there were a few times when I wasn't as "into" it. The section of the book taking place in Dorne started so well but then got rather dull I felt, however the pay off in the final chapter in Dorne was worth it. Once again though I wasn't overly enthralled by the story of Arya, but I haven't been very interested in the character for most of the series if I'm honest.

Aside from these minor negatives I really enjoyed the story of the Iron Islands. I felt I would be bored by it when I began to read but I really did enjoy it and actually felt a bit annoyed that the story from the view point of the characters on the Iron Islands ended so soon in the book. And I didn't think I would be as interested in Cersie as a point of view character but it really did work fantastically.

I found this book to be much more political than previous instalments which I think was great, although I understand it not being to everyones liking. Also due to volumes 4 and 5 being split geographically as opposed to chronologically, the book did feel the absence of characters like Tyrion , Dany and Stannis.

All in all I think it was another great journey through the seven kingdoms, and already through the prologue of a Dance with Dragons part 1.
_■■■_
(⌐■_■) "Stay out of my territory"

Kusksu

• It Was A Long Time With Me
« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »
A Feast for Crows is a decent read, doesn't deserve all the shit gets. I preferred A Dance with Dragons though
'I was in heaven
I was in hell
Believe in neither
But fear them as well!'

Modest Mouse - Doin The Cockroach

pawnshop-guitars

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • Time for a gin?
« Reply #289 on: October 22, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »
My last read was Holden Furber's Empires of Trade. Now I have to read The Opium Wars Through Chinese Eyes and Iron Kingdom, when all I want to read is Ronnie Wood's autobiography again :'(
I think it is high time for a bit of class around here, don't you?

Monique

• All Geared Up
  • Caffeine freak
« Reply #290 on: October 22, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »
Just finished A Feast for Crows on Tuesday. I have a few things to say about it. Firstly I'd start by saying yes, it didn't quite live up to the standard of a Storm of Swords (but really not much else could) but I did find it very good. Yes, there were a few times when I wasn't as "into" it. The section of the book taking place in Dorne started so well but then got rather dull I felt, however the pay off in the final chapter in Dorne was worth it. Once again though I wasn't overly enthralled by the story of Arya, but I haven't been very interested in the character for most of the series if I'm honest.

Aside from these minor negatives I really enjoyed the story of the Iron Islands. I felt I would be bored by it when I began to read but I really did enjoy it and actually felt a bit annoyed that the story from the view point of the characters on the Iron Islands ended so soon in the book. And I didn't think I would be as interested in Cersie as a point of view character but it really did work fantastically.

I found this book to be much more political than previous instalments which I think was great, although I understand it not being to everyones liking. Also due to volumes 4 and 5 being split geographically as opposed to chronologically, the book did feel the absence of characters like Tyrion , Dany and Stannis.

All in all I think it was another great journey through the seven kingdoms, and already through the prologue of a Dance with Dragons part 1.

The only disappointing thing from SOS to me was that he killed off Prince Oberyn's character. I thought so much could have been done with him, he was an awesome character IMO, other than that I loved that book so much!

I really didn't miss Daenerys  :ninja: Tyrion and Bran however... especially after how their stories ended!.

I think that when it came to new POV characters, A  Feast For Crows is really capturing because they are so intriguing, especially Theon's uncles... wow. On the other hand, the old characters' stories dragged.

rds.06

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • "I'm Melting"
« Reply #291 on: October 23, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »
Just read Tyler Hamiltons auto, good read in light of all the Lance Armstrong of late.
clean your ears...Nickelback's guitar work is awesome.

Emilia

• All Geared Up
« Reply #292 on: November 04, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »

The only disappointing thing from SOS to me was that he killed off Prince Oberyn's character. I thought so much could have been done with him, he was an awesome character IMO, other than that I loved that book so much!

I really didn't miss Daenerys  :ninja: Tyrion and Bran however... especially after how their stories ended!.

Exactly!

A Storm of Swords part 2 was better than part 1, imo.
All you need is just a little patience.

The Second Coming

• Old At Heart
  • Renowned Cam Whore of newGnR
    • Facebook
« Reply #293 on: November 06, 2012, 02:36:26 AM »
The only disappointing thing from SOS to me was that he killed off Prince Oberyn's character. I thought so much could have been done with him, he was an awesome character IMO

I couldn't help but think this too. I was surprised when Prince Oberyn died, I really expected him to be a character that would play a bigger part in the story. I felt he could have been a great character
_■■■_
(⌐■_■) "Stay out of my territory"

Stifler's Mom

• Very Old At Heart
« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »
The last books Ive read for leisure (and not for work or college):

The book of First World War Poetry. Edited by George Walter Great content.
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.  (I'm just starting to read it)

Stifler's Mom

• Very Old At Heart
« Reply #295 on: September 23, 2013, 03:25:12 AM »
The last books Ive read for leisure (and not for work or college):

1) The book of First World War Poetry. Edited by George Walter Great content.
2) Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.  (I'm just starting to read it)

1) Some of the poems were interesting and demanded several readings and backgraound research to understand them

2) Wuthering Heights:

It takes a few chapters to get used to the old-fashion language. This is a book in which ejaculate, suffer, society, etc are not what you think. The plot is quite catching and it kinda reminded me of Montecristo. It's more a revenge story than a love story. It's my favourite book to date, definitely worth reading.
The special thing about this novel is that "the bad guy" is your favourite guy all time long.

Shadow Play

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
I'm reading Duffs book at the moment. It's really good

the_relic

• All Geared Up
« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »
Read The Great Gatsby about 30 times while I was in jail. Awesome fucking book. Grisham. Patterson. Fuck yeah.