Please login or register. September 19, 2014, 04:49:58 PM

Author Topic: Live Era Question  (Read 3401 times)

AxlIsGod

• But A Little Wouldn't Do It
  • 'Cause I See The Storm Was Gettin' Closer...
Live Era Question
« on: April 17, 2010, 11:47:42 PM »
Does anyone know why Half of it was re-recorded, cos i Dont like the Album and wondered why a perfectly good Compilation of Performances was re-recorded and lost all the energy the origional performances had, okay so theres a few good ones like Paradise/estranged but why was it re-recorded? especially the vocals. And if no-one knows why, does anyone have any ideas/theories on why?

Thanks.
Leeds 2010, I Was There

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
Re: Live Era Question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:08:54 AM »
Because Axl probably sounded a little less than at his best on a lot of those performances,Slash probably fixed up mistakes.
Humanary Stew

AxlIsGod

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
Axl Sounded great on the illusions tour, maybe not 91 but 92 n 93 he did, his voice had so much power and rawness.
and yeah, maybe slash but imo axl didnt need to rerecord anywhere near the amount of vocals he did.
Leeds 2010, I Was There

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »
Im not so sure how "great" he sounds on the Tokyo DVD/video/concert  :D
Humanary Stew

SilverRevolver

• Fit Ta Burn
  • "Peace Is Free"
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:14:37 AM »
I think they didnt wanna put out an album of bootleggs you can easily attain so they edited up a bit
"My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all."-John Lennon

AxlIsGod

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 08:22:19 PM »
Im not so sure how "great" he sounds on the Tokyo DVD/video/concert  :D

That was an off night  :paranoid:

Anyways, shows like Oklahoma 92, argentina 92/93, Chile 92, Chicago 92 Axl sounded Great
Leeds 2010, I Was There

Awalker28

• King Dick
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 04:36:46 AM »
Man, I hated how a lot of the songs sounded. Especially Nightrain. I mean the sound was good but the voice sucked IMO.
I know it looks like I'm insane
Take a closer look I'm not to blame
Yeah
If love is blind I guess I'll buy myself a cane

Shacklers Revenge

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 04:07:02 PM »
The only upside to the stupid editing on Live Era is the fact that Rocket Queen sounds the best it ever has.

Aside from the rerecorded vocals, I find the sound quality of the album to be pretty poor. I have bootlegs that have better clarity and give a much better representation of the sound of the band during that era. On the topic of the sound, better performances (musically speaking) could have definitely been picked for some of the songs. This is not the case for all, but Mr. Brownstone is pretty weak musically (not a horrible performance, but there were far better ones) as well as Sweet Child O' Mine.

Last but not least, a better selection of songs could have helped. Why no Civil War, Live and Let Die, or Double Talkin' Jive? All three were staples in the live set during the Use Your Illusion tour.
We think we've come so far
On all our lies we depend
Facing our consequence
This is the beginning of the end

DR9_ROSE

• On An Ordinary Day Not In An Ordinary Way
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »
One question

If it is re-corded, which i think some parts are... why at the end of Paradise City does Axl say Las Vegas. why not change it to "The World" or something more universal? just a thought
被疏遠 - Sometimes I Feel Like I'm Beatin' The Dead Horse And I Don't Know Why You've Been Bringin' Me Down

rocknroll41

• Bad Obsession
  • wel-come-to-buck-et-head-LAND
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 09:11:27 PM »
if i were the guy who called th shots on that album, I would've had it so none of the tracks were re-recorded and that one disc is from the AFD tour and the other from the UYI tour. I'd also have it so that the cover art wasn't made of flyers, cus that has nothing to do with the actual era of the music.

Last but not least, I wouldve made sure the number of concerts used is balanced (instead of most of it being friggin Tokyo 92!!). And made sure the fuckin booklet actually said which concert each tune is from for god sakes!!!!
wel-come-to-buck-et-head-LAND

AxlIsGod

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 12:35:26 PM »
One question

If it is re-corded, which i think some parts are... why at the end of Paradise City does Axl say Las Vegas. why not change it to "The World" or something more universal? just a thought

I think paradise was left untouched, it sounds like UYI axl, and is one of the best versions of Paadise, obviously taken from Las Vegas
Leeds 2010, I Was There

Awalker28

• King Dick
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »
Most of Paradise City sounds like the Freddie Mercury concert version to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTuN-35580
Yeah

Shacklers Revenge

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
Most of Paradise City sounds like the Freddie Mercury concert version to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTuN-35580
Paradise City is from the Las Vegas show in 1992.
We think we've come so far
On all our lies we depend
Facing our consequence
This is the beginning of the end

Awalker28

• King Dick
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Paradise City is from the Las Vegas show in 1992.
I know, I'm just saying that it sounds VERY similar to the Freddie Mercury Show version.
Yeah

John Mirra

• Failure To Communicate
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 03:15:55 AM »

Last but not least, a better selection of songs could have helped. Why no Civil War, Live and Let Die, or Double Talkin' Jive? All three were staples in the live set during the Use Your Illusion tour.

Agreed on Civil War but I think Double Talkin' Jive is just a kind of the song you dont want to put its live version on an album, seems like it wasnt created for live performance, vocals just dont fit at all.

I'm pretty sure Live Era was re-recorded because of Axl's perfectionism, his voice really changes over time and he couldnt perform of his best everytime may be there are some factors we dont know but as a result his live performance as a lead singer isnt that good enough as overally(I can tell you some concerts even in 89 that he s*cks) he wanted it to sound just like the album so re-recorded the songs which he didnt like his performance.

And for the same damn reason we've waited 14 years to get a new album inspite all the songs were ready.

(Sorry for the criticism, we all love Axl.. but that was just the simple truth)