Please login or register. November 25, 2017, 05:06:35 AM

Author Topic: Whiskey for Justin  (Read 1078 times)

ronws

• A Classic Case
Whiskey for Justin
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
This is for you, Justin. Thank you for sharing the heritage and the music of Kelley and the Dubliners.

This song is an old irish folksong that was a tribute to higwaymen. It was solidified and made famous first by Luke Kelley and the Dubliners. A newer, updated version was done by irish rock band Thin Lizzy. Phil Lynott, the original lead singer and bass player was a baritone and was singing almost out of his range, as the song was originally composed for a tenor. But the version was well-done and stood the test of time. He passed away in 1986.

In 1998, Metallica did a cover of Thin Lizzy's version, and did it well. James Hetfield, lead singer of Metallica, is also a baritone and he sings it in a baritone range so that he can keep his characteristic growl. It is indeed tasty, with the gravelly bass of Robert Trujillo and the supersonic shredding of Kirk Hammett.

Most everyone else's cover is of the Thin Lizzy version.

Here, I've tried to go back to the folk song roots and as close as I could get to the Dubliners' version. I did a slight variation on the chorus but the original melody is there, just a change in timing.

I tried uploading to youtube and had problems so I uploaded to photobucket, which saves it as an flv, though I had uploaded as a wmv.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/ronws_photos/?action=view&current=Whiskey1.flv

"Don't put the bodies in the wishing well ..." - Janie Lane (RIP)

mothergoose

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
Re: Whiskey for Justin
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
I don't want to offend but it's Luke Kelly. I do like that cover, and have a listen to "The Wolfetones".
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:52:49 PM by NewGNRnOldGNR »

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:14:54 AM »
good stuff Ron :rockon:
W.

ronws

• A Classic Case
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:44:01 AM »
good stuff Ron :rockon:

Thanks, guys. And I apologize for the misspelling.

ronws

• A Classic Case
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 02:02:02 AM »
I've listened to it myself a few times. It appears that I have the meter and timing of a moderate Dubliner version with a melodic sense that is a chinese stew of Dubliner, Thin Lizzy, and Metallica. Oh well, I had fun and the song was comfortable for me to sing.

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 02:09:30 AM »
It's more in line with its roots and as such I can't fault it for at least trying to be faithful :)
Fuck Cork and all Cork related things

ronws

• A Classic Case
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:12:42 AM »
It's more in line with its roots and as such I can't fault it for at least trying to be faithful :)

Thanks. And I really like the caption in your avatar. It says so much. That looks like John Lithgow in the pic.

Justin5150

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • I'm going to mod all over your tits
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:50:22 AM »
A true to the original rendition. I like the way you changed the chorus in places for variation. :rockon:

This might just have inspired me enough to uplod my own rendition of a Dubliners track. :ninja:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:52:51 AM by Justin5150 »
LEAVE IT OUH!!!

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »
i may take the plunge and record a dubliner's track too.  Fucking awesome band.  Ron, i listened again and im really digging it, its fresh to hear someone playing a cover of the original form and not a metallica kinda version,  :rockon:
W.

DeadStorm

• Banned
  • Realtime Visionary
  • We're all just waiting to be slaughtered
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
 :bow:

ronws

• A Classic Case
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
Thanks, laddies. It was fun. I'll have to try another.

RoboAxl

• NewGNR Crew!
  • All Geared Up
  • The Mod Who Knocks
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »
Thanks. And I really like the caption in your avatar. It says so much. That looks like John Lithgow in the pic.

:lol: thanks

and that is indeed John Litgow, from his part in Dexter. I've been a fan of his work for some time :rockon:
Fuck Cork and all Cork related things

Justin5150

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
  • I'm going to mod all over your tits
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »
Here is what the original version sounded like, just in case people were wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOKIhXW48cM

It's nice to see that people appreciate a band like the Dubliners in the modern day, it is testement to their continuing influence on music, and of course the gret taste of our forum users. ;)
LEAVE IT OUH!!!

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »
Here is what the original version sounded like, just in case people were wondering.

It's nice to see that people appreciate a band like the Dubliners in the modern day, it is testement to their continuing influence on music, and of course the gret taste of our forum users. ;)

man, my dad has fucking allsorts of irish music, its all good to me.  I grew up with the dubliners, josef locke etc

its fucking great music, simple as :cool:
W.

ronws

• A Classic Case
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »
:lol: thanks

and that is indeed John Litgow, from his part in Dexter. I've been a fan of his work for some time :rockon:

I am also a fan of John Lithgow. From "Third Rock from the Sun" and all of his movies. He can play a nerd, an evil guy, or any combination thereof.

ronws

• A Classic Case
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »

Thanks for bringing that one in, Justin. That was the performance I watched to get a sense of a traditional arrangement. I ended up playing slower. Theirs is more of an upbeat tempo and of course, the quick phrasing of the chorus. Also, I ended up with a Texas swing in my rhythm (no doubt, from living in Texas since 1974) as opposed their banjo style romp.

Maybe we should all do versions of the Dubliner catalog and revive the irish balladeer spirit and see where that inspires people to go to. For example, I think Metallica's version is quite inventive and totally within their style, even if it wasn't a truly traditional arrangement. It somehow fit, for them. Might we do the same with other songs?

I also appreciate other celtic music. Loreena McKennitt does a version of "Bonnie Portmoor" for the "Highlander" soundtrack that is absolutely haunting.

My wife likes the stuff, too. Our cat, Jade, was listening to the Dubliner version of "Whiskey in the Jar." Not bad for a white Turkish Angora. Anyway, wife and I have a few albums from a group called Afro-Celt Sound System. Just as it describes, it is a melding of celtic and african music, which blend together well, believe it or not.

Finally, one last bit I am particularly proud of.

To start, I am of mixed heritage. My mother's father was from Germany. He and his family immigrated to America when he was 10 years old. My father's family is a mix of english, irish, and scottish. One time, while driving somewhere, my wife was looking at one of her many catalogs. It was "Cash's of Ireland." Looking at the neat stuff, she said, "I wish I had some irish in me."

In my best irish accent, I said, "Aye, lassie, do you want some, then?"

She punched me in the arm and I knew my job was done.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:12:26 PM by ronws »

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
hahahahahaha  fucking awesome :rockon:

W.

ronws

• A Classic Case
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
hahahahahaha  fucking awesome :rockon:

I have my moments, now and then.