Please login or register. August 24, 2017, 12:10:08 AM

Author Topic: Underrated guitarists.  (Read 32950 times)

gunner22

• All Geared Up
  • Nicko McBrain > all
Re: Underrated guitarists.
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2009, 11:40:07 PM »
I think Rons an incredible player,I dont dislike him at all.
He kicks ass in GNR,thats for sure.
That said I dont like his additions to the album,or any of his own stuff Ive heard

Nah, that's ok, dude. :)

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2009, 03:00:53 PM »
Could you, or jplpool, recommend some Rory Gallagher? :D

His debut album Rory Gallagher (Before his solo career he was in a band Called Taste) His Live albums are also immense

“   Rory is probably the single guitarist who meant the most to me.   „—Tom Guerra, guitarist of Mambo Sons

“   It was all about him playing the guitar, it got into your soul.   „—Cameron Crowe (Writer/Film Director)

“   In the 70s he built himself a reputation as a live performer of tremendous vitality.   ”
“   He was even headhunted to join The Rolling Stones.   „—Niall Stokes (Editor, Hot Press)

“   One of the things that was crucial for me I got from Rory Gallagher, which was the idea of, like, being a guitar player for life and living it.   „—Johnny Marr (The Smiths)

“   Rory's death really upset me. I heard about it just before we went on stage, and it put a damper on the evening. I can't say I knew him that well, but I remember meeting him in our offices once, and we spent an hour talking. He was such a nice guy and a great player.   „—Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

“   So these couple of kids come up, who's me and my mate, and say 'How do you get your sound Mr. Gallagher?' and he sits and tells us. So I owe Rory Gallagher my sound.   „—Brian May (Queen)

“   Rory's death is a tragic loss of a great musician and a very good friend...   „—Van Morrison

“   The man who got me back into the blues.   „—Eric Clapton

I hope, I do not wait.

Does somebody torture you whilst force feeding you Chinese Democracy!?

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

jplpool

• Old At Heart
  • niño azul el artillero
    • Soldier Of Fortune
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2009, 05:01:27 AM »
I hope, I do not wait.

Does somebody torture you whilst force feeding you Chinese Democracy!?

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

c!

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 02:22:03 PM »
Robin is great, but people don't really consider him good just because he doesn't play like Slash, which is stupid. Finck is good at what he does, just go and listen to Chinese Democracy and The Fragile... but I still think that despite being a good guitarist, his main plus is on stage: he has the style and the passion and steals the spotlight. His presence on stage is amazing.

I think Dave Navarro is very underrated too, and he's really good, his solos are impressive. Check any live version of Three Days by Jane's Addiction on youtube.  One of the things I like the most is the range of tones and sounds he gets with just a few effects. In terms of sound exploring, Navarro is someone to look at/listen to.

themadcaplaughs

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 01:35:45 AM »
Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins. I doubt the average person even knows he plays solely because he's the vocalist for the band as well. But besides having one of the most unique playing styles of the last twenty years, Corgan's got the technical skills to.

Mr Fantasy

• Man Of Wealth And Taste
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 01:53:04 AM »
Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins. I doubt the average person even knows he plays solely because he's the vocalist for the band as well. But besides having one of the most unique playing styles of the last twenty years, Corgan's got the technical skills to.

Exactly. He has a style similar to Hendrix but unique in his own way. He has brought us some of the best solos ever. Siamese Dream is absolutely astonishing. Hummer and Cherub Rock is just fuckin awesome. Quiet, Spaceboy and mayonnaise also kick ass. Siamese weakest track was Sweet Sweet but even that was awesome. Billy Corgan is god. Hope I can meet em one day.

Brad Whitford - super underrated. Perry gets all the credit usually.

Robby Takac - From Goo Goo Dolls. one of my favorite all time bands (Buffalo based  :D). He plays a combination of bass, lead and rhythm guitar on the Goo's tracks. Super underrated. I've met him 3 times. Great guy and musician
He's the guy sitting on the table w/ red highlights.
Gutter flower is possibly one of the best albums ever

Tom Petty - Another great guitarist. Mary Jane's last Dance is possible one of the best songs ever. Very underrated guitarist.

All of New Gnr guitarists - Especially Fortus. As said before they're judged before even getting a chance.

Peace  :rockon:

Axl_Duff_87

• A Classic Case
  • "Ladies & Gentlemen...Tommy Fuckin' Stinson!"
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »
Johnny Marr.

:bow:
╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
it don't really matter.

aerosmithfan

• All Geared Up
  • You make me smile, you make me feel alive.
    • facebook
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 02:25:07 AM »
Stevie Ray Vaughn  :bow:
Well listen up, listen up, There's a devil in the church, Got a bullet in the chamber, And this is gonna hurt!

Modzilla

• It Was A Long Time With Me
  • ROAR!!!!
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2009, 02:58:36 AM »
mick ronson
johnny thunders
sylvain sylvain

marc bolan
glen buxton
jay bennett
nels cline
jason becker

JT underrated?  Mann...he's like the Keith Richards of the punk community.  I've never once in my life heard a bad thing about him from anyone.  I mean, there's absolutely nothing anyone could complain about.  Yeah, I wouldn't call him overrated because he's awesome and pretty much god, but you can't call someone who is loved by everyone who knows about him underrated.  Wait, Sylvain too?  They're like, gods.  Everyone knows the Dolls are pretty much the end all and be all (along with the Stooges) of protopunk.  I can't imagine having a conversation with someone who is even a passing fan of punk that doesn't rate both of them up there with the greats.  (Sylvain has some sweet rockabilly albums as well, but that's probably not important to this discussion.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:01:26 AM by Team Rocket Queen »
"Forgive them that fuck up my show, and bless them that they might grow old"

In full support of Guns N' Roses, come hell or high water. ~ La Familia =)

The Man...The Myth... the Murph!!!

Modzilla

• ROAR!!!!
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2009, 06:17:39 AM »
they are underrated because outside of the punk community they are barely known
they are gods, but to a small group of people...

and if you wanna talk protopunk....talk the MC5, the pretty things, the kinks...BEFORE you mention the dolls(not taking anything away from the dolls)

Well yeah, but I don't know anything about reggae music, and I wouldn't go calling their biggest stars overrated just because not everyone knows who they are.  But I guess it's just logistics, word choice, et cetera, as we seem to be in agreement that they are indeed gods.

I'd classify those bands more as garage bands, but once again, just logistics.  They're all great.  (Even if L-O-L-A is pretty terrible when sober.=)

Modzilla

• ROAR!!!!
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »
:thumbsup:

don't know anything about reggae music :O
whatcha waiting for?????????

mick jones is another underrated guitarist

Well I know Bob Marley, but otherwise, yeah.  I just haven't gotten there yet.  I end up so deeply involved with the music I'm listening to, and reggae just hasn't been something I've delved into yet.  If you'd like to suggest a good starting place, I like to go from very early works on, I'd be happy to check it out.  :)

Modzilla

• ROAR!!!!
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2009, 06:34:29 AM »
well there are many

bob marley of course
jimmy cliff
toots and the maytalls
burning spear
black uhuru
peter tosh
lee scratch perry
gregory isaacs

those are probably the most well known and also probably the best
and just like other styles of music there are subgenres and stuff but those artists are a good jumping off point if you're interested

Thanks man! :thumbsup: I'm interested in pretty much any music.  As I've said before, I'd much rather listen to the best in any genre than the mediocre in my quote/unquote favorite genres.  I'll definitely check these out.

(Oh, and reggae holds a certain level of interest with me as well. Unlike some genres. I like "music from the streets", as a general rule.)

EDIT: I'm now three or four youtube videos in, and Peter Tosh is incredible.  Also, I absolutely love this guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3M3glJzK7c&feature=related

Definitely top ten on my list of f'in sweet guitars.  Entry number one for my 2010 christmas wish list.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 06:46:22 AM by Team Rocket Queen »

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »
great list belligerentpunk :bow:
W.

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart