Please login or register. April 21, 2014, 10:44:36 AM

Author Topic: "Did Axl Rose Swindle Guns n’ Roses and Steal Slash’s Song? A Guide to Rose’s.."  (Read 15637 times)

ALiX-Rose

• All Geared Up
i know this is old but i haven't seen it B4 so i decided to post it anyways:

Did Axl Rose Swindle Guns n’ Roses and Steal Slash’s Song? A Guide to Rose’s Online Rants

12/15/08, 5:20 pm EST

Photo: Getty

Axl Rose didn’t give any magazine or TV interviews to herald the release of Chinese Democracy. But just days after breaking his silence with a pair of Q&As on Guns n’ Roses message boards, Rose has published a 4,594-word post and an additional Q&A on the two fan sites. Those who haven’t been following the Gn’R saga for the past 20 years may be a bit confused by some of his references to age-old beefs with Slash and other bits of Guns jargon. We’ve broken out the juiciest bits and explained them here:

Claim I. I didn’t swindle my bandmates.

Backstory: Slash has alleged that Axl refused to go onstage one night during the Use Your Illusion tour in 1992 unless the band signed away the name rights to the band. “Unfortunately, we signed it,” said Slash. “I didn’t think he’d on stage otherwise.”

Axl’s take: “Never happened, all made up, fallacy and fantasy. Not one single solitary thread of truth to it. Had that been the case I would’ve have been cremated years ago legally, could’ve cleaned me out for the name and damages. It’s called under duress with extenuating circumstances.”

Plausibility: Axl makes a surprisingly strong case. Might Slash not have had the clearest head during that tour?

Claim II. Slash lied in his book.

Backstory: In Slash’s 2007 book the guitarist claims that Guns n’ Roses’ final recording sessions were stalled due to a vast musical direction between himself and Axl.

Axl’s take: “I have the rehearsal tapes. There’s nothing but Slash-based blues rock and he stopped it to both go solo and try to completely take over Guns. I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve… I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.”

Plausibility: It’s a classic case of he said, Slash said — but again, Slash’s memory of events from the 1990s is always questionable.

Claim III: We won’t reform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Backstory: Fans have been clamoring for a reunion tour from the original lineup when the band is eventually inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Slash has said, “If this comes up, I’d hope we’d be mature enough to get up and do that.”

Axl’s take: “Never thought about that, with the RRHOF. The whole ‘mature enough’ bit was cute. Not to offend anyone but personally I don’t have an interest… It’s a ways away and seems a bit presumptuous to be contemplating being inducted now.”

Plausibility: Axl is now managed by Irving Azoff, a reunion miracle worker who reformed the Eagles and got David Lee Roth back onstage with Van Halen last year. His work is cut out for him this time. If it ever happens, it probably won’t be at the Rock and Roll Fall of Fame in two years.

Claim IV: Velvet Revolver took our song.

Backstory: Velvet Revolver had a hit single in 2004 with “Fall To Pieces.”

Axl’s take: He claims the song originated during the band’s ill-fated final sessions in the mid 1990s. “… Which led to the trial period where Slash played the key bits of ‘Fall to Pieces’ but once I showed some interest that was over.”

Plausibility: Hearing it again today, it’s easy to imagine Axl singing the song — which could have been a classic Gn’R hit if done right. Did Slash play it for Axl, only to pull it when interest was showed? Probably.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/12/15/did-axl-rose-swindle-guns-n-roses-and-steal-slashs-song-a-guide-to-roses-online-rants/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:29:29 PM by ALiX-Rose »

Warchild

• Banned
  • A Classic Case
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
This is a couple of months old...And thus another prestigious press comment .

:finger:

isa

• Bad Obsession
  • Nothing Last Forever...

Axl’s take: “Never thought about that, with the RRHOF. The whole ‘mature enough’ bit was cute. Not to offend anyone but personally I don’t have an interest… It’s a ways away and seems a bit presumptuous to be contemplating being inducted now.”

I agree! :thumbsup:

MetaSouL

• Bad Obsession
i know this is old but i haven't seen it B4 so i decided to post it anyways:

Did Axl Rose Swindle Guns n’ Roses and Steal Slash’s Song? A Guide to Rose’s Online Rants

Claim IV: Velvet Revolver took our song.

Backstory: Velvet Revolver had a hit single in 2004 with “Fall To Pieces.”

Axl’s take: He claims the song originated during the band’s ill-fated final sessions in the mid 1990s. “… Which led to the trial period where Slash played the key bits of ‘Fall to Pieces’ but once I showed some interest that was over.”

Plausibility: Hearing it again today, it’s easy to imagine Axl singing the song — which could have been a classic Gn’R hit if done right. Did Slash play it for Axl, only to pull it when interest was showed? Probably.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/12/15/did-axl-rose-swindle-guns-n-roses-and-steal-slashs-song-a-guide-to-roses-online-rants/

Why don't you guys decide for yourselves...here's a clip of Fall to Pieces side-by-side with what appears to be an early version of the same song documented on the Making of Estranged official GNR video.  Someone caught this awhile back so I put the clips together for ease of listening.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/U0d6ZGVWUnJCTWxMWEE9PQ

~M
“Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”

-Albert Einstein

dave-gnfnr2k

"Axl’s take: He claims the song originated during the band’s ill-fated final sessions in the mid 1990s. “… Which led to the trial period where Slash played the key bits of ‘Fall to Pieces’ but once I showed some interest that was over.”"

So slash brought a song to the table then took it back, yet VR sold the song?

How can Slash steal a song he brought to Axl?

That logic does not make any sense. Plus it makes no sense in the direction Axl was taking the band (see CD) that he would even want a song like that.  And Axl said he played a few key bits, what is a few key bits?  Few notes? Slash is the one who wrote the  notes, so that was Slashs song, how can Slash steal his own song from Axl?

:?:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:58:49 PM by dave-gnfnr2k »

MetaSouL

• Bad Obsession
"Axl’s take: He claims the song originated during the band’s ill-fated final sessions in the mid 1990s. “… Which led to the trial period where Slash played the key bits of ‘Fall to Pieces’ but once I showed some interest that was over.”"

So slash brought a song to the table then took it back, yet VR sold the song?

How can Slash steal a song he brought to Axl?

That logic does not make any sense.
 :?:

Agreed, it's no different than saying Axl stole This I Love, but....there may be some contractual shit that stipulates anything written in that time period belongs to the name Guns N' Roses, which Axl owns.  But logically it should be no different than the This I Love situation.

Still kinda interesting to see the song existed back when GNR were together to later be on a VR album...

~M

-Albert Einstein

dave-gnfnr2k

Agreed, it's no different than saying Axl stole This I Love, but....there may be some contractual shit that stipulates anything written in that time period belongs to the name Guns N' Roses, which Axl owns.  But logically it should be no different than the This I Love situation.

Still kinda interesting to see the song existed back when GNR were together to later be on a VR album...

~M

Axl said the songs on the snake pit album were going to be the next gnr album, but Axl doesnt claim slash stole those songs. That is just because no songs on that album were hits unlike Fall to Pieces.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:03:30 PM by dave-gnfnr2k »

MetaSouL

• Bad Obsession
Axl said the songs on the snake pit album were going to be the next gnr album, but Axl doesnt claim slash stole those songs. That is just because no songs on that album were hits until Fall to Pieces.

That may very well be true, but it doesn't really change what was and what wasn't written prior to VR, nor what may or may not be contestable as "Guns N' Roses" property.  It just shows a possible incentive for pursuing it...$$$.

~M

-Albert Einstein

Modzilla

• It Was A Long Time With Me
  • ROAR!!!!
Axl said the songs on the snake pit album were going to be the next gnr album, but Axl doesnt claim slash stole those songs. That is just because no songs on that album were hits unlike Fall to Pieces.

Axl didn't claim they stole Fall to Pieces either.  He just said it was presented to him and such.  Same as the Snakepit songs.  And actually, Axl wanted those as well, a few weeks later.
"Forgive them that fuck up my show, and bless them that they might grow old"

In full support of Guns N' Roses, come hell or high water. ~ La Familia =)

The Man...The Myth... the Murph!!!

dave-gnfnr2k

That may very well be true, but it doesn't really change what was and what wasn't written prior to VR, nor what may or may not be contestable as "Guns N' Roses" property.  It just shows a possible incentive for pursuing it...$$$.

~M

Its not like Axl wrote any lyrics to FTP or the vocal melody or anything like that.
Axl had ZERO to do with the song, Slash brought the riff, hook what ever to Axl.
Then who knows what Axl really said, if he wanted the song or not.
And slash made it into a song 10 years later.
I am pretty  sure if Axl wanted to use that he would have in a song on CD.
But Axl woudlnt do that because he would  have to credit Slash in the song and pay him royalties

I don't see how that is stealing.

Axl didn't claim they stole Fall to Pieces either.  He just said it was presented to him and such.  Same as the Snakepit songs.  And actually, Axl wanted those as well, a few weeks later.

"Claim IV: Velvet Revolver took our song"

Took is the same thing as stealing.  If you want me to change the wording of my post then change steal with took.
But Axl is saying the same thing
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:10:16 PM by dave-gnfnr2k »

Modzilla

• ROAR!!!!
"Claim IV: Velvet Revolver took our song"

Took is the same thing as stealing.  If you want me to change the wording of my post then change steal with took.
But Axl is saying the same thing

Axl did not say Velvet Revolver took our song.  Whoever wrote the article did.

dave-gnfnr2k

Axl did not say Velvet Revolver took our song.  Whoever wrote the article did.

The claim came from Axl

Modzilla

• ROAR!!!!
The claim came from Axl

No it didn't.  Read what Axl said.  I read every word.  At no point does he say Slash stole or took our song.  He said, Fall to Pieces was brought to me as a Guns N' Roses song, but as soon as I showed interest, Slash decided to keep it for himself.

ALiX-Rose

• All Geared Up
The claim came from Axl

this article was a comment to Axl's mygnr visit. go read what Axl said on mygnr.

MetaSouL

• Bad Obsession
Let's keep this straight.

So far there's been no litigation, so lawfully no one is claiming theft of intellectual property rights, it's just some bantering comments at this point.

As for Fall to Pieces and when it was written, the Making of Estranged clearly (IMO) shows that the song was written and recorded (rough demo) within the GNR camp, showing at minimum some rough guitar and vocal recording of the song nearly a decade before VR. 

Now the vocal recording may or may not go beyond Axl's whistling part, we don't know since its only a clip of the song.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/U0d6ZGVWUnJCTWxMWEE9PQ

~M

-Albert Einstein