Please login or register. October 25, 2014, 04:28:38 AM

Author Topic: Rate the singles  (Read 22505 times)

SilverRevolver

• Fit Ta Burn
  • "Peace Is Free"
Re: Rate the singles
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2010, 02:08:43 AM »
1) chinese democracy::bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:             
2) Shackler's revenge:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:         
3) better: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:                             
4) street of dreams: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:             
5) if the world: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:                   
6) there was a time: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:               
7) catcher in the rye: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:           
8) scraped: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:                           
9) Riad n' the Bedouins: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:         
10) sorry  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:                             
11) I.R.S: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:                         
12) madagascar:     :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:             
13) this I love:   :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:                 
14) prostitute:  :bow: :bow: :bow:

honestly ive listened to the album at least 300 times and the worst rating i can give a song is a 3 to me this whole album is  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
"My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all."-John Lennon

MelroseJive

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • Just like you I got my vices.
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »
Chinese Democracy - 8
Shackler's Revenge - 8
Better - 9
Street of Dreams - 8
If The World - 7
There Was A Time - 8
Catcher In The Rye - 6
Scraped - 9
Riad N' The Bedouins - 7
Sorry - 10
IRS - 9
Madagascar - 10
This I Love - 10
Prostitute - 8

All songs are wicked.
I never wanted you to be so full of anger,
I never wanted you to be somebody else,
I never wanted you to be someone afraid to know themselves,
I only wanted you to see things for yourself.

saxx

• A Stranger We Met
  • There's only one God and He's a Rolling Stone
    • Rinvall
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »
Chinese Democracy-  :bow: :bow:

Shackler's Revenge- :bow:

Better- :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

The Blues- :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

If the World- :thumbsdown:

There Was a Time- :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Catcher in the Rye- :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Scraped- :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Riad N' the Bedouins- :bow: :bow: :bow:

Sorry- :bow: :bow: :bow:

I.R.S.- :bow: :bow:

Madagascar- :bow: :bow: :bow:

This I Love- :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Prostitute- :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
You can't stand me now...

abaraxas

• Very Old At Heart
  • Arch Faggot
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
Chinese Democracy: album-6.5/leak-7.5
Better-album-7.5/leak 8
Shacklers-8 (chicken dinner not discernable in difference really)
S.O.D.-album-6/live 2001-8
If The World-8 (not fussed over album vs leak)
T.W.A.T. -9.5 (not fussed)
Catcher-album-8.5 (not fussed)
Scraped-8 (suck my hairless testes King BBF  :unibrow:)
Rhiad-album-7.5/ leak 8.5
Sorry-9
IRS- album-7.5/2006 leak 8/ antiquiet 9
Madagascar-7
This I Love-8
Prostitute-9.5
Humanary Stew

seely

• Old At Heart
  • Sad fools.
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2010, 04:20:05 AM »
Chinese Democracy = 9/10
Shacklers Revenge = 7/10
Better = 10/10
Street Of Dreams = 9/10
If The World = 8/10
There Was A Time = 10/10
Catcher In The Rye = 10/10
Scraped = 7/10
Riad N' The Bedouins = 8/10
Sorry = 10/10
I.R.S. = 9/10
Madagascar = 10/10
This I Love = 10/10
Protitute = 10/10
Reading Festival 27.08.2010
Leeds Festival 29.08.2010
Nottingham Captial FM Arena 19.05.2012
Birmingham LG Arena 26.05.2012

beakfu

• Failure To Communicate
Rate the singles
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
Chinese Democracy = 10/10 :rockon:
Shacklers Revenge = 10/10 :rockon:
Better = 10/10 :rockon:
Street Of Dreams = 10/10
If The World = 9/10
There Was A Time = 10/10
Catcher In The Rye = 10/10
Scraped = 9/10
Riad N' The Bedouins = 9/10
Sorry = 10/10
I.R.S. = 10/10
Madagascar = 10/10
This I Love = 9/10
Protitute = 9/10

seely

• Old At Heart
  • Sad fools.
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »
Time for a more detailed review, methinks:

1. Chinese Democracy: Great, in-your-face rocker, makes for a great start to the album. Mean vocals, great riff, icredible solos, and nice fretless work from Bumblefoot. Lyrics could be a bit better, but all round a great song. 9/10

2. Shackler's Revenge: Short and sweet. Guitar intro is a little off sounding, but the song itself can't be faulted. Very catchy, straight to the point, good lyrics. Not too keen on bumble's solo however.... 8/10

3. Better. All round great, first of the album's many classics. Catchy riff, great lyrics, brilliant solo by robin, and heavy as fuck. Why this wasn't promoted more or given moe attention is beyond me, it's a true modern GN'R classic 10/10

4. Street of Dreams: Very UYI- sounding song. Dizzy and Robin both shine here. Great lyrics from Axl, though the vocals are a little weak at times. One of the more 'instant' songs on the album, IMO. 8/10

5. If The World: One of the most experimental tracks GN'R have done here. Bucket's skill at different styles of guitar come into focus here. Very catchy song, the solo is fantastic. Structurally, a relatively straightforward number, however the depth of the song is impressive. 8/10

6. There Was A Time: Staggering. Easily the best thing on the album here. Epic in every sense of the word. Axl’s lyrics are heartfelt, and powerful. The guitar work amazing. Any doubts as to whether Robin or Bucket were right to fill Slash’s shoes are put to rest here. Robin’s solo is amazing, then along comes Bucket and follows it up with something even more epic. The song is heavy as hell. Brain’s drumming is thunderous, the band is on fire. 10+/10

7. Catcher In The Rye: A great piano ballad, showing the more harmonious side of the band more. Bumblefoot shows he is more than just a shredder guitarist with an impressive solo, better than Brian’s on the demo version, IMO. Great lyrics, piano work, a great song to chill to, and rounds off the first half of the album with style. 10/10

8. Scraped: One of the more industrial numbers. The layers of vocal harmonies at the start are pretty bad, it just doesn’t seem to fit, (IMO of course..). The song itself, when it kicks in, is solid though (despite later returns of the multi-layered vocals of the intro). Uplifting lyrics, cool solo’s and a mean rhythm section holding it all together. Lyrics are great to motivate yourself and as a big ‘fuck you’ to any haters or doubters. 7/10

9. Riad N’ The Bedouins: A strange number. Cool, atmospheric, if slightly long intro. The main riff is beastly, and Tommy’s bass groove is unforgettable, one of the songs where he really gets to shine. The lyrics are strange and nonsensical, but Axl’s delivery is good, reaching some of his highest notes on the album. A solid, instant, catchy number. 8/10

10. Sorry: Haunting, moody, atmospheric, strange. Lots of words can describe this song. The best ones are simply that it kicks arse. There is an eerie ambiance to the song. Bucket’s solo is hauntingly memorable. A great set of lyrics, sort of a more mature version of 'Get In The Ring'. Unforgettable choruses, heavy and thunderous guitars. One of the best of the album. 10/10

11. I.R.S.:  solid, punchy number. It grows with time. More of an industrial feel, but sleazed up a lot credit to Bumblefoot. The lyrics are mean and aggressive, the last verse is venomous, topped off with an incredible scream from Axl, backed by a shredding, skilful solo from Buckethead. Solid and powerful. 9/10

12. Madagascar:  Along with 'If The World', probably the most experimental song on the album. Gloomfull, scene-setting French horns introduce the song, followed by Axl’s lyrics of forgiveness, sorrow and despair. A solid solo from Buckethead underplays the montage of quotes and speeches memorably. The drumming is great here. Simple, but unforgettable. 10/10

13. This I Love: Axl's masterpiece. The darker, evil sister of Street Of Dreams and Sweet Child O' Mine. Axl's capabilities on Piano are demonstrated wonderfully here. Passionate, deep lyrics, and Robin's amazing solo overplays an incredible instrumental part. These two minutes alone are two of the finest on the whole album. Axl’s screaming of the final chorus towards the end, and the final verse are some of the finest performances he’s ever given. The song is, put simply, incredible. 10/10

14. Prostitute: IMO, the most underrated song on the album. The lyrics seem to deal with a range of topics. They're a message to the fans, his naysayers, former lovers and band-mates all at once, but all in different ways. The whole band comes through to shine here. Heavy as sin, and epic as hell. The final two minutes fade the album out beautifully. Someone once described listening to the ending as imagining Axl walking down a long, long corridor, finally leaving through the exit at the end, forever. A pretty accurate description. If this was the final bit of studio work to come from Guns, this would be the best ending we could have wished for. Just behind 'There Was A Time' for best song on the album. 10/10

Overall album revew: 10/10
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:17:20 PM by seely »
Reading Festival 27.08.2010
Leeds Festival 29.08.2010
Nottingham Captial FM Arena 19.05.2012
Birmingham LG Arena 26.05.2012

B.I.T.C.H

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »

1. Chinese Democracy: Great, in-your-face rocker, makes for a great start to the album. Mean vocals, great riff, icredible solos, and nice fretless work from Bumblefoot. Lyrics could be a bit better, but all round a great song. 9/10

2. Shackler's Revenge: Short and sweet. Guitar intro is a little off sounding, but the song itself can't be faulted. Very catchy, straight to the point, good lyrics. Not too keen on bumble's solo however.... 8/10

3. Better. All round great, first of the album's many classics. Catchy riff, great lyrics, brilliant solo by robin, and heavy as fuck. Why this wasn't promoted more or given moe attention is beyond me, it's a true modern GN'R classic 10/10

4. Street of Dreams: Very UYI- sounding song. Dizzy and Robin both shine here. Great lyrics from Axl, though the vocals are a little weak at times. One of the more 'instant' songs on the album, IMO. 8/10

5. If The World: One of the most experimental tracks GN'R have done here. Bucket's skill at different styles of guitar come into focus here. Very catchy song, the solo is fantastic. Structurally, a relatively straightforward number, however the depth of the song is impressive. 8/10

6. There Was A Time: Staggering. Easily the best thing on the album here. Epic in every sense of the word. Axl’s lyrics are heartfelt, and powerful. The guitar work amazing. Any doubts as to whether Robin or Bucket were right to fill Slash’s shoes are put to rest here. Robin’s solo is amazing, then along comes Bucket and follows it up with something even more epic. The song is heavy as hell. Brain’s drumming is thunderous, the band is on fire. 10+/10

7. Catcher In The Rye: A great piano ballad, showing the more harmonious side of the band more. Bumblefoot shows he is more than just a shredder guitarist with an impressive solo, better than Brian’s on the demo version, IMO. Great lyrics, piano work, a great song to chill to, and rounds off the first half of the album with style. 10/10

8. Scraped: One of the more industrial numbers. The layers of vocal harmonies at the start are pretty bad, it just doesn’t seem to fit, (IMO of course..). The song itself, when it kicks in, is solid though (despite later returns of the multi-layered vocals of the intro). Uplifting lyrics, cool solo’s and a mean rhythm section holding it all together. Lyrics are great to motivate yourself and as a big ‘fuck you’ to any haters or doubters. 7/10

9. Riad N’ The Bedouins: A strange number. Cool, atmospheric, if slightly long intro. The main riff is beastly, and Tommy’s bass groove is unforgettable, one of the songs where he really gets to shine. The lyrics are strange and nonsensical, but Axl’s delivery is good, reaching some of his highest notes on the album. A solid, instant, catchy number. 8/10

10. Sorry: Haunting, moody, atmospheric, strange. Lots of words can describe this song. The best ones are simply that it kicks arse. There is an eerie ambiance to the song. Bucket’s solo is hauntingly memorable. A great set of lyrics, sort of a more mature version of 'Get In The Ring'. Unforgettable choruses, heavy and thunderous guitars. One of the best of the album. 10/10

11. I.R.S.:  solid, punchy number. It grows with time. More of an industrial feel, but sleazed up a lot credit to Bumblefoot. The lyrics are mean and aggressive, the last verse is venomous, topped off with an incredible scream from Axl, backed by a shredding, skilful solo from Buckethead. Solid and powerful. 9/10

12. Madagascar:  Along with 'If The World', probably the most experimental song on the album. Gloomfull, scene-setting French horns introduce the song, followed by Axl’s lyrics of forgiveness, sorrow and despair. A solid solo from Buckethead underplays the montage of quotes and speeches memorably. The drumming is great here. Simple, but unforgettable. 10/10

13. This I Love: Axl's masterpiece. The darker, evil sister of Street Of Dreams and Sweet Child O' Mine. Axl's capabilities on Piano are demonstrated wonderfully here. Passionate, deep lyrics, and Robin's amazing solo overplays an incredible instrumental part. These two minutes alone are two of the finest on the whole album. Axl’s screaming of the final chorus towards the end, and the final verse are some of the finest performances he’s ever given. The song is, put simply, incredible. 10/10

14. Prostitute: IMO, the most underrated song on the album. The lyrics seem to deal with a range of topics. They're a message to the fans, his naysayers, former lovers and band-mates all at once, but all in different ways. The whole band comes through to shine here. Heavy as sin, and epic as hell. The final two minutes fade the album out beautifully. Someone once described listening to the ending as imagining Axl walking down a long, long corridor, finally leaving through the exit at the end, forever. A pretty accurate description. If this was the final bit of studio work to come from Guns, this would be the best ending we could have wished for. Just behind 'There Was A Time' for best song on the album. 10/10

Great job, Seely! bow:

Particularly agree with: 3, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13 & 14

Don't agree with:
11. I think there's sth. very personal and intimate about IRS. (IMO all of the last 5 songs are like this). Funnily I don't feel much aggression or venom in this song, just disappointment and bitterness.

This I love, Street Of Dreams, IRS & Catcher In The Rye, followed by Better & Prostitute are the best songs from ChiDem for me.

My review goes as follows:
1.Chinese Democracy = 9/10
2.Shacklers Revenge = 10/10
3. Better = 10+/10
4. Street Of Dreams = 10++/10 (One of the best!)
5. If The World = 8/10
6. There Was A Time = 10/10
7. Catcher In The Rye = 10++/10
8. Scraped = 8/10
9. Riad N' The Bedouins = 7/10
10 Sorry = 9/10
11.I.R.S. = 10++/10
12.Madagascar = 10/10
13. This I Love = 10++/10
14.Prostitute = 10+/10

To summarize, ChiDem is different, rich, multilayered, with thousands of emotions (not happy though but not depressed either) and obviously very professional and difficult to perform. Axl's perfectionism is all over it but it is not overwhelming nor too elaborate. Everything is in the right dose - never too much, neither too little. Great lyrics, just a tiny bit egocentric at times ;). Foul language is almost missing, which is good – ChiDem is far more mature and laid back than the older GnR stuff but at the same time it’s very fresh, strong and energetic. And what I always liked about GnR and it’s present here as well, is the variety - you just have everything on your plate - from exotic fruit to cheese sandwich, a bottle of vodka and much more ;).

Overall album review: 10/10

Percy

• King Dick
  • W. Axl Rose<3
    • Facebook;
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »
Chinese Democracym 10/10
Shackler's Revenge    7/10
Better                     10/10
Street Of Dreams      10/10
If The World             8/10
There Was A Time     10/10
Catcher In The Rye    10/10
Scraped                   10/10
Riad N' The Bedouins  10/10
Sorry                       10/10
I.R.S                        10/10
Madagascar               10/10
This I Love                10/10
Prostitute                  9/10

There almost all 10's  XD
10 Lbs 6oz. Percy Alex Brian Houle the 4th
Born April 12; he's a boy :D

Ice Blue

• Won't Be Told Anymore
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »
Chinese Democracy  8/10
Shackler's Revenge    9/10
Street Of Dreams      7/10
If The World             4/10
There Was A Time     7/10
Scraped                    9/10
Riad N' The Bedouins  7/10
Sorry                        8/10
Prostitute                  10/10
Dead, Dead, Bullet To The Head, Come On Give Me Some Connection, Get Me Over It, Over It, Dead, Dead, Wake Me Up Im Full Of Lead

For live tour and setlist updates go to - www.chinesedemocrac yforum.com

Euterpe

• Very Old At Heart
  • Voice of the Voiceless.
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2010, 03:22:51 AM »

:mwa :mwa

I agree with most of it, but I'll do my review on the ones I disagree with

Street Of Dreams- The Blues owns. Enough said. 5/10
If The World. Good lyrics, boring song. 4/10
Madagascar- I agree with most of what you said, but there's parts of the song I don't like. 7/10
Riad- I don't know. I just can't get into it. I'll be unbiased and not rate it
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Fuck you, whore.

Johan is not nuts. At least not anymore nuts than the rest of us. He is ruled by his own psychology, which includes jealousy that he cannot sing that high.

B.I.T.C.H

• Gets More Pussy Than Mick Wall
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »
Chinese Democracym 10/10
Shackler's Revenge    7/10
Street Of Dreams      10/10
If The World             8/10
There Was A Time     10/10
Scraped                   10/10
Riad N' The Bedouins  10/10
Sorry                       10/10
Prostitute                  9/10

There almost all 10's  XD

All of the songs are terrific. I just cannot get how some people can say just fuck Chinese Democracy. You can't just do that. The album is great & that's a fact. XD
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:46:51 PM by B.I.T.C.H »

DBG

• In Another Woman's Bed
  • It's probably me...
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
Chinese Democracy: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Shackler's Revenge:  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Better:  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Street of Dreams:  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
If The World:  :fpalm: :fpalm:
There Was a Time:  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: