Please login or register. November 25, 2017, 08:20:00 AM

Author Topic: ALBUM DISCUSSION!  (Read 40187 times)

Worchild

• NewGNR Crew!
  • Very Old At Heart
  • *I AM INCONQUERABLE*
Re: ALBUM DISCUSSION!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 08:37:38 PM »
Now that Buckethead appeared in the booklet, is anyone else feeling quite nostalgic and hoping that maybe he may come back?

YES
W.

HellcatSpangledShalalala

• Beatin' A Dead Horse
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »
i dont really want Bucket to join the band again.

don't get me wrong, he's a great musician...its just the bucket; puts me off completely.

imo i feel a pic of a man with a KFC bucket on his head ruins the feeling of the album booklet.
Said if you fuck with me, I'll fuck your mother,
Your sister, too, and your best girlfriend,
Then I'll line 'em up, and put 'em end to end,
And then I'll stick it in, I'll pull it out,
I'll grab your face and then I'll cum in your mouth.

schlongsolo

• Failure To Communicate
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2008, 02:34:40 PM »
I have to say i am disapointed with this CD. It lacks any good riffs and music substance. I would love to see how this CD transfers onto road. It seems he has turned his back on the old GNR roots, perhaps he should tour playing only songs from this CD ans see if he get a sell out tour. Axl is trying to fill in the gaps in the CD with layered vocals. The vocals are the only good thing about the CD. Sorry Axl

Backfromthedead

• It Was A Long Time With Me
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
I have to say i am disapointed with this CD. It lacks any good riffs and music substance.

Interesting, how do you define "a good riff"? Is e.g. "abacab" better than other riffs?  :?:
I hear lots of good riffs on the album and also some good solos. (But what do I know?)

Musical substance: well it's there, if you ask me. Definitely in many of the arrangements. Orchestra, piano, verse-chorus-verse, lots of musical substance.  ;)

In short: I like it. As many others I'm very impressed by "This I Love". Also I enjoy the beautiful outro in "Prostitute". Some parts may seem a bit "overproduced", but that's no big surprise when you know how long they'd worked on it.
Actually I prefer some "mid-tempo" tracks over the "rockers". TWAT and Catcher and Madagascar seem to take a similar direction as did some stuff on UYI (imho).
All in all, it's very different to old GnR (of course). Enjoyable to listen to (for me).

swaffleman

• Bedouin
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 03:32:02 AM »
I have to say, this album is beyond incredible.

I finally have my physical copy, and I'm am still in shock that I even have a physical copy to hold onto.

Estella

• Old At Heart
  • ...al toga nema i ne postoji...
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2008, 07:40:14 PM »
I have to say, this album is beyond incredible.

I finally have my physical copy, and I'm am still in shock that I even have a physical copy to hold onto.

hey! are ok now??? you've touched the sky right!?  :D
I believe in Dj Ashba !

I LOVE Guns n' Roses
I don't love "The Axl Roses"

... ma della mia vita non mi pentirĂ² mai, mai, mai ... a modo mio ...

russkwtx

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • I don't really care
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 07:28:33 PM »
I continue to like the previous leaks, they did not change much.
Of the non-leaked songs, I really really like Sorry, This I love, and If the World.
Shackler's has grown on me and really like it now.
For me, the disappointing tracks--ones for which I hit the skip button--are Rhiad, Scraped, and Prostitute. But overall it is a very good album. 10 or 11 songs that are very good is a great ratio in today's world in which bands will have one single and maybe one other decent song on a whole cd and the rest is filler. So this is a very good album, and I bought two copies. One for home, and one for the car.
GNR: 7 times, VR: 4 times, Slash solo: 2 times, all the other bands I've seen don't matter.

blython

• Bedouin
  • I see your sister in her Sunday dress
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 10:45:56 AM »
Have you ever like gotten sick and thrown up, hungover, whatever and just been afraid or cringed at anything that you saw, heard, or ate around then.

I got wasted listening to Chinese Democracy, by the way it is amazing to listen to when intoxicated. At one point I fell on my carpet, laughing and doing air guitar solos while thrusting the air and screaming-- Needless to say that I woke up vomiting.

So it's horribly sad, but something that has been crawling under my skin for this past year, in anticipation, is kind of ruined. Or tainted may be the better word.
Although-- on my second listenings today its different. I still feel a bit ill, so I have to take the harshness with a grain of salt but I feel like I went through all of that with Axl. Like some of the songs are just a wild journey, here and there and this damned thing took me everywhere and got me wasted.

I still like it. While I'm in here I just want to throw out a few things. I don't like people badmouthing this album. Like friends and family---

blython

• Bedouin
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
F- the haters,
Second, I was close to being a hater. I had heard the majority of the album before and I never gave a lot of songs a chance-- In fact I heard some samples on iTunes and was just sick to my stomach. If you come in on just 30 seconds of any of these you're bound to dislike it. But if you endure and go through the song--not to mention the album from start to finish it's a great, raw, rock record. I heard some of Catcher before, though it was too upbeat, but that and If the World are like my favorites.

I've heard people mention over production-- bull! If The World is just a masterpiece of production. Also with Sorry and There Was A Time.

My biggest gripe about the album is probably that there aren't a whole lot of chill songs. I would have like one more "Sorry" or "This I Love." BUT, this isn't soft rock either. The album is like a hard drink, you sip-- it really cinges your nerves at first but you find yourself sipping and sipping until you are one with it.

Alister Fiend

• Rubbermade Baby
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2008, 01:21:55 AM »
The album is like a hard drink, you sip-- it really cinges your nerves at first but you find yourself sipping and sipping until you are one with it.

blython I agree with your whole post.  I too was prepared to not like this album.  Those "leaks" or whatever they actually were last spring and last year did not impress me.  Then I heard Chinese Democracy on the radio and the beginning grabbed me.  I loved it.  It wasn't a "typical" song, verse, catchy chorus, repeat, but everytime I heard the beginning guitars I was pumped.  Then the album dropped and I went to the Guns myspace page and listened to each song.  The above quote is damn near perfect.  I love it.  That is a great way to describe this album.  With each listen it gets better and better...  a true sign of a great album.  I am grateful that it finally saw the light of day. 

Thanks Axl. 
a very old soul

thorghal

• Bad Obsession
  • i am already gone
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2008, 12:26:24 PM »
I think is a great album everyone needs to adjust to the new sound of it.
I am glad that the album got out. :rockon: It is not as good as the apetite for destruction but stil i love it and bought like for 6 friends the album.
Great quality of music, although i find the songs a little quiet but the voice of Mr Axl Rose does the trick.
You got to love that. Is not easy to keep the band alive making good quality music with the absence of the raw guitar sound of Mr. Slash. But thats the quality of Mr Axl Rose he never gives up and sure is a proffesional. :bow:
I think this album is in a way more mature then the other albums.
finally i hope they get fast on the tour so i can see Guns N' fucking Roses live again. :rockon:
For the haters keep hating .
Criticals be critical .
That's why Guns N' Roses stil is the biggest band in the friggen world. Suck on that :D :nod: :smoking:

chainsmoker

• Used To Do A Little
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2008, 11:28:20 PM »
^Agree. on first listen i liked it but wasnt over keen, i could only really listen to the first three tracks. I went to work and had a tune running through my head all day which was TWAT so had to listen as soon as i got in, have been doing that every day since i got the album. I dont normally listen to albums over and over, only others are AFD and UYI 1 and 2. CD makes me feel exactly the same way as i do when i listen to those albums, no other albums can. It also feels very personal as in this album was made for fans and not the masses.

blython

• Bedouin
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 08:50:53 AM »
You know what a sign of a great album is? You have a new beat in your head everyday, that you hum throughout work, or while in the car, whatever.... And it's a new hook everyday. Yesterday was Sorry, today has been Street of Dreams, and Catcher.

----------------
Now playing: Guns N' Roses - Street Of Dreams
via FoxyTunes

russkwtx

• Tongue Like A Razor
  • I don't really care
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »
^That is true, and for me each day it is a different tune.
GNR: 7 times, VR: 4 times, Slash solo: 2 times, all the other bands I've seen don't matter.

mikerdude

• Lost In The Shadows
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »
Still think Axl has topped Sweet Child or Don't Cry with "This I Love" as a song of love.....

Thats some pretty hardcore heart-felt shit right there.....Heard it {blown away} an' jus thought "Shit ! I been there...."
#"Take me down to the Paradise City,Where the girls are wet n' they got big titties...oh won't you please take me ho-o-ome"#