Please login or register. July 23, 2014, 09:06:43 PM

Author Topic: Demos vs. Official Releases  (Read 2810 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LetMeHearItNow...

  • Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • **
  • Posts: 189
  • Gender: Male
Demos vs. Official Releases
« on: January 26, 2007, 12:13:57 AM »
Just a random thought to pass the time while patiently waiting for CD...

I'm sure most of you have heard the demos from the UYI albums like November Rain, Don't Damn Me, Don't Cry, Garden of Eden, etc.  The official releases sounded 10 times better, more evolved, fuller and complete sounding, etc.

Considering how good the demos we've all heard of There was a Time, Catcher in the Rye, Better and I.R.S. sound, the official releases should be fucking amazing if Axl's previous demos are any indication of how the new songs will be.  Not to mention his progression as an artist combined with a modern sound and the recording technology available today  compared to what was available when UYI was recorded.

I guess my underlying thought beneath all of this is that CD and Axl will rock the music world and inject some life into it.  It doesn't seem that there have been any GREAT albums come out in the last 5 years or so.  There have been a few good ones, but nothing mind blowing in my opinion.  Plus it'll shut all the people the fuck up who've been ragging on every single thing about Axl or the new band or the "hired hands" or the delay of the album or Axl being too old or being washed up or whatever the fuck people feel the need to say to make up for all their inferiority complexes and all that they lack.

Ok, sorry, I'm done venting.
RDLDPYBBDNTGDBDCC1Y KGSBPLSEYDM = Contender for greatness.

Kov

  • Tongue Like A Razor
  • ****
  • Posts: 2169
  • Gender: Male
  • Soon...
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:21:34 AM »
Quote from: "LetMeHearItNow..."

I'm sure most of you have heard the demos from the UYI albums like November Rain, Don't Damn Me, Don't Cry, Garden of Eden, etc.  The official releases sounded 10 times better, more evolved, fuller and complete sounding, etc.

Considering how good the demos we've all heard of There was a Time, Catcher in the Rye, Better and I.R.S. sound, the official releases should be fucking amazing if Axl's previous demos are any indication of how the new songs will be. Not to mention his progression as an artist combined with a modern sound and the recording technology available today compared to what was available when UYI was recorded.


It would be a valid point if it was made like 12 years earlier.

Nowadays you can make studio quality recordings with a 500$ PC, so I doubt the CD demos are much worse than the studio tracks.

You should make your tag line something to the effect of "Kov's realism, shattering idealism everywhere."

LetMeHearItNow...

  • Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • **
  • Posts: 189
  • Gender: Male
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 12:25:39 AM »
Quote from: "Kov"


It would be a valid point if it was made like 12 years earlier.

Nowadays you can make studio quality recordings with a 500$ PC, so I doubt the CD demos are much worse than the studio tracks.


So you think the producing and mixing and all that stuff is done on the demos we've heard?  I don't know much about the recording process, but everything I've heard seems raw and unfinished or not really touched up.  I could be wrong I guess.
RDLDPYBBDNTGDBDCC1Y KGSBPLSEYDM = Contender for greatness.

Jimmeh

  • King Dick
  • ***
  • Posts: 381
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 12:28:08 AM »
Quote from: "LetMeHearItNow..."


So you think the producing and mixing and all that stuff is done on the demos we've heard?  I don't know much about the recording process, but everything I've heard seems raw and unfinished or not really touched up.  I could be wrong I guess.

The leaks are just bad quality.

And yeah, demos in general aren't 100% polished, but what you hear will probably be the final version, just in better quality.

Kov

  • Tongue Like A Razor
  • ****
  • Posts: 2169
  • Gender: Male
  • Soon...
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:29:14 AM »
Quote from: "LetMeHearItNow..."


So you think the producing and mixing and all that stuff is done on the demos we've heard?  I don't know much about the recording process, but everything I've heard seems raw and unfinished or not really touched up.  I could be wrong I guess.


No, it IS raw and unmixed, but don't expect a jump in quality in the scale which you could hear on UYI, that's all I intended to say :D

You should make your tag line something to the effect of "Kov's realism, shattering idealism everywhere."

LetMeHearItNow...

  • Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • **
  • Posts: 189
  • Gender: Male
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 12:30:41 AM »
Quote from: "Kov"
No, it IS raw and unmixed, but don't expect a jump in quality in the scale which you could hear on UYI


I see what you're saying.  Thanks, bubble buster.
RDLDPYBBDNTGDBDCC1Y KGSBPLSEYDM = Contender for greatness.

dman1991

  • So The Little Got More And More
  • ****
  • Posts: 1721
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 12:33:23 AM »
Quote from: "Kov"


It would be a valid point if it was made like 12 years earlier.

Nowadays you can make studio quality recordings with a 500$ PC, so I doubt the CD demos are much worse than the studio tracks.


i have to disagree, you can make some pretty good stuff with todays technology, but you cant simply make november rain with 500 and a pc, you can make a good november rain demo with 500 and a pc, but not the finished product.  

Theres a whole world of shit that happens after a song is born and a demo is recorded, and you can obviously tell that all of the leaks are not even close to done, except maybe better. The studio process is usually a long, drawn out, repetitive process where all of the best gear is used to make the best possible sound, you cant just have a pc for a finalized big name album.

Kov

  • Tongue Like A Razor
  • ****
  • Posts: 2169
  • Gender: Male
  • Soon...
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 12:34:31 AM »
Quote from: "LetMeHearItNow..."


I see what you're saying.  Thanks, bubble buster.


LOL  :lol:  

You can always count on me.

Kov's realism - Scattering dreams since '89.




Quote from: "dman1991"


i have to disagree, you can make some pretty good stuff with todays technology, but you cant simply make november rain with 500 and a pc, you can make a good november rain demo with 500 and a pc, but not the finished product.  

Theres a whole world of shit that happens after a song is born and a demo is recorded, and you can obviously tell that all of the leaks are not even close to done, except maybe better. The studio process is usually a long, drawn out, repetitive process where all of the best gear is used to make the best possible sound, you cant just have a pc for a finalized big name album.


See what I wrote above. (not in this post, previous one.)

I used the 500 PC to show the difference between the environments in which the UYI and the CD demos were made.

You should make your tag line something to the effect of "Kov's realism, shattering idealism everywhere."

LetMeHearItNow...

  • Beatin' A Dead Horse
  • **
  • Posts: 189
  • Gender: Male
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:37:02 AM »
Quote from: "Kov"


LOL  :lol:  

You can always count on me.

Kov's realism - Scattering dreams since '89.


You should make your tag line something to the effect of "Kov's realism, shattering idealism everywhere."
RDLDPYBBDNTGDBDCC1Y KGSBPLSEYDM = Contender for greatness.

Jimmeh

  • King Dick
  • ***
  • Posts: 381
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 12:40:37 AM »
Quote from: "dman1991"


i have to disagree, you can make some pretty good stuff with todays technology, but you cant simply make november rain with 500 and a pc, you can make a good november rain demo with 500 and a pc, but not the finished product.  

Theres a whole world of shit that happens after a song is born and a demo is recorded, and you can obviously tell that all of the leaks are not even close to done, except maybe better. The studio process is usually a long, drawn out, repetitive process where all of the best gear is used to make the best possible sound, you cant just have a pc for a finalized big name album.

You'd be surprised what you can do with a PC, a decent sound card and some homebrew recording techniques.
Over $12 million for Chinese Democracy?  It'd only cost around $500,000 these days

dman1991

  • So The Little Got More And More
  • ****
  • Posts: 1721
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:07 AM »
Quote from: "Kov"


See what I wrote above. (not in this post, previous one.
lol, yes, srry I was typing while you posted that, I agree, the structure of the songs will be pretty much the same, and those are definetly very raw, I mistook your statement as saying the final cut wont be much better, but now I see your point.

ageisler18

  • Man Of Wealth And Taste
  • *****
  • Posts: 5030
  • Gender: Male
  • Optimus Prime
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 01:35:41 AM »
K, heres the deal:

Don't expect a different song, expect a fuller sound.  Most of you guys have some valid points.  I believe Kov is saying if you aren't happy with the songs so far, don't expect to be dazzled in the future.  You can do a lot with computer but that doesn't include the expensive costs of the enviornment needed to record.  It's very possible that axl spent millions of dollars on finding the best sound proofing for the drums, the right enviornent for the guitar and the ever important vocal room.  Axl has also spent hours on end with high calibur producers such as Roy Thomas Baker.  Not to include the cost of the large band(yes, the need to get payed too.)  I once worked with a guy that spent nine months on one song which was intended to be a single.  Granted he had a full time job and just did recording on nights and weekends but, the stuff that he added onto the track is incredible.  That being said this album is obviously long overdue and should be close to being done.  Another validity to Kov's points depends on when the demos are exactly from.  After a very long time, they should be close to completely done and we shouldn't expect much else.

blumpkin

  • In Another Woman's Bed
  • **
  • Posts: 59
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 04:15:33 AM »
alot of people say the demo sounds like shit, i can see what their sayin, but you aint heard shit till you heard the misfits live record . i know live and a demo r two different issues, but they cleaned up live era pretty well.  
i think the demo's sound alright, i just hope it aint overproduced, "if" it ever comes out.

Jimbo513

  • Fit Ta Burn
  • ***
  • Posts: 517
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 04:38:48 AM »
I wouldn't expect the CD songs that we have heard live to sound much different on the album. Yeah, the studio versions will be just that, studio versions, but the arrangement and all will probably be the same.

RyanRose

  • All Geared Up
  • *****
  • Posts: 7441
  • The Beermonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/thebeermonster
Demos vs. Official Releases
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »
The full versions are better. However demos are interesting